RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Recoil Buffers

1911 Recoil Buffers

Hi Folks,

For years I've read about recoil buffers, and could never understand what they actually accomplished. When I ordered some new springs recently I decided to go ahead and spend $5 on Wilson buffers to see for myself. The advertising blurb says "prevents the slide from battering the frame during recoil by sandwiching a ... buffer between the slide and frame contact areas." But the instructions say to put the buffer on the recoil spring guide and then install the spring. So, it does not go between the slide and frame, and appears to do nothing at all, except perhaps to slightly compress the spring.

I knew all this, and I'm sure you did too, before I spent my hard-earned $5, but I wanted to see if I was missing something. To my view, shock buffers appear to be snake oil. Am I, in fact, missing something?

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

The plastic will absorb some energy, so it will reduce the battering that the gun was designed to withstand. A solution to a non existent problem. It does make a quick $4 profit for Wilson, so they aren’t worthless.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy

Put one in, shoot 500 rounds of 45 acp IPSC major rounds. It will have impressions from the slide battering it.
    Don't bother if you shoot target rounds

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Doesn't it cause the spring to reach full compression sooner and effectively limit how far back the slide goes?

Boolit Master
    The buffer goes over the recoil spring guide between the head and the spring... When the slide comes back, the bottom of the dust cover impacts the buffer...that is where the shock is absorbed...

Some guns will run with them, some won't. Don't use them with a Commander. If you notice with the buffer out and the slide retracted all the way, the slide stop is ahead of the slide stop notch on the slide. Put the buffer in and when the slide is fully retracted the two line up. Under recoil the slde stop can the jump into the notch...been there, done that.

I only use buffers in 10mm and .45 Super...

Bob

Shok Buffs, always good for a controversial thread. Personally, I have them in all of my 1911s. As noted by Valley-Shooter, after not-so-many rounds you will find a horseshoe shaped impression on the buff from impact. If there was no impact at that location there would be no impression. As also stated, the pistol was not designed to have one, and many 1911s in constant service since....well....1911....show no ill effects from not having a buff. On the other hand, I have seen 1911s with cracked frames, but never one that had a Shok Buff. So, to me, it's kind of like cheap insurance.

As an aside, they should be changed periodically. Exactly what that period is I'm not sure, perhaps 2,000 rounds would be a good time, as that's when some folks change out their recoil springs. I frequently carry a Star Model B which in many ways is a copy of the 1911. They don't make a Shok Buff for the Star, which would require a smaller one, so I cut one for a 1911 down to size with a box knife. Put it in back about 2005. This pistol gets fired maybe 1 magazine per month just to keep my hand in, but not for competition, and due to the hassle of having to customize the Shok Buff I hadn't changed it out because of the low round count. Well, just last month I fired it, and in cleaning it found that the hammer was sticking. The Shok Buff had completely disintegrated into little blue chunks of hard plastic which were now throughout the gun like little chunks of gravel. I had to completely detail strip the pistol and clean all the parts. So, the lesson learned is that the Buffs do have a finite life span at the end of which they completely fail. Precisely when that is I can't say. That one lasted about 16 years, but did not see heavy use. I decided not to use them in the Star any more. Can't have a sticky hammer on your carry pistol!

DG

In time these buffers will mash out of shape and retard the slide speed. Then they will just roll snake eyes and tie up the pistol. That is just fine for a range pistol, but not on one which you will stake your life. That is why I still have some I have not used.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

the shock buffer is preventing the slide from hammering the frame...when the spring is fully compressed it is effectively a hardened tube slamming into the frame..
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    Put one in, shoot 500 rounds of 45 acp IPSC major rounds. It will have impressions from the slide battering it.
    Don't bother if you shoot target rounds

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    We don't really shoot "IPSC" in the United States, but IPSC's Major PF is 170. A factory 230 grain .45 ACP load is 195 power factor. I don't know what you mean by "target rounds," but 45 ACP loaded at IPSC's Major power factor is weaker than the vast majority of factory ammunition. And USPSA's "Major" is even lower--165 pf.

On the subject at hand, restricting the slide from cycling all the way will cause issues. If you want your gun to shoot softer, use softer recoil and main springs, bevel your firing pin stop, and use faster burning powder and less of it. Shock buffers cause problems.
    Last edited by downzero; 04-13-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    If your 1911 spring fully compresses with slide movement something is egregiously wrong. Remove the spring and replace it with the correct one. A spring should never fully compress into a solid mass or tube where all the coils touch each other.

Such a condition does not harm the frame. It was designed to take impact there. What it kills is the recoil spring plug and bushing which were not designed for such a thing to occur.

A shok buff is fine for a range toy but should never be used in a carry gun.
    Last edited by 35remington; 04-13-2021 at 08:28 PM.

If I shot hundreds of rounds at a time weekly like in my young days I'd use them and I did. And changed them. If I had an alloy frame 1911 I'd use them, but I dont have one. My old .45 barely sees three hundred rounds a year, so I don't need one now.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I put one in years ago and immediately started having malfunctions. I took it out promptly. I run a 16lb standard ball ammo recoil spring weight. 230gr over 4.5-4.7 Bullseye is my go to.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    In time these buffers will mash out of shape and retard the slide speed. Then they will just roll snake eyes and tie up the pistol. That is just fine for a range pistol, but not on one which you will stake your life. That is why I still have some I have not used.
    This was my experience as well.

They are cheap, you may or may not like them, your gun may or may not work well with them. If you like them, use them.

But, I have to believe that, if they did anything to extend the life of the gun, the major manufacturers would be including them with their lifetime guaranteed products.

Banned
    As Der Gebirgsjager pointed out, Shok Buffs, always good for a controversial thread.

The concept makes a little sense, something to decelerate the slide at the end of its travel. However, in practice, they seem to bring some additional problems.

I agree with Char-Gar, fine for a range pistol but not something for a pistol on which you stake your life.

My personal experience with them is they will eventually tie up the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    As Der Gebirgsjager pointed out, Shok Buffs, always good for a controversial thread.

The concept makes a little sense, something to decelerate the slide at the end of its travel. However, in practice, they seem to bring some additional problems.

I agree with Char-Gar, fine for a range pistol but not something for a pistol on which you stake your life.

My personal experience with them is they will eventually tie up the gun.
    My experience as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Both of my new CZ 9mm came with one installed and 5 replacement. CZ Shadow2 and TS2. I don't know about the CZ 97 in 45 ACP it hasn't arrived yet. I haven't used them in my 1911s .

Bill

Boolit Master

Like RJM52 says, they will shorten your slide travel - not good on Commanders and REALLY not good on the shorter pseudo-Commanders and Officer's spin offs that start with a shortened slide stroke. I've seen them keep the breech face of the slide from even clearing the back of the mag well.

On a full size gun, I just run the next heavier recoil spring (18.5#) and it seems to soften things up nicely. It's always felt to me that this is how the gun likes to run GI spec ammo.This is just my pet theory, but my guess is that Colt and JMB may have opted for the 16# spring because they knew in a military environment - especially the critical test trials for the lucrative military contract - that the slide was going to have to power it's way backwards through sand, mud and various other less-than-optimal operating conditions. Unless you're planning for full-on abuse, that's not a concern.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Vendor Sponsor

They do soften recoil somewhat, so that proves they are doing something. I used them in a pin gun where I was shooting 255gr Keith type boolits and they were very much appreciated.

I DO NOT use them in any carry gun or bedside gun.

I think I have 3 1911s now, and none have shok buffs.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Put them in your Mini-14, they do help some there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast