Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: selling ammo

Boolit Master

selling ammo

?????? a friend has his manufacturing lisence to make and sell ammo
    so can anyone then sell this ammo legally??
    what if it changes hands 3 or 4 times before being fired?

whatta you know about his?? not just ?ing

Boolit Grand Master

Yes. https://gunbelts.com/blog/federal-an...munition-laws/

Anyone who imports or manufactures ammunition must file an application for, and receive, a license to do so, and must pay an annual fee. Licensed firearms dealers may not sell ammunition to those they have a reason to believe are below the age of 21. Unlicensed parties may sell ammunition to anyone they believe is 18 or older. Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d) and (g), there are nine categories of individuals prohibited from purchasing or simply possessing ammunition.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    If your selling reloads/handloads u need a fed liscence and insurance.

If your reselling boxed ammo that a liscenced company produced u dont need the liscence

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The way I think of this is that a licensee manufactures (or remanufactures) ammunition while a hobbyist reloads ammunition.

Manufactured (or remanufactured) ammo can be resold without additional license.

Reloaded ammo can’t/shouldn’t be resold.

I was banned from a forum last year because the admins had it in their heads that reloaded ammo could be sold without license (as a business as I recall) so long as the seller wasn’t the reloader. It took days for them to see the light. A couple months later they banned me for arguing with the mods and referred back to those conversations. Oh well, no great loss.

I saw a good example of why you shouldn't sell your reloads to people.
    A guy at the range loads a really nice light 9mm load - a competition load. He was teaching a guy to shoot. That guy brought a Hi-Point. His reloads did NOT work in that gun... He looked at the guy and said they work in every other gun I've ever tried it in...

Personally, I load my ammo for my guns and I wouldn't expect them to work in other guns...
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    If your selling reloads/handloads u need a fed liscence and insurance.

If your reselling boxed ammo that a liscenced company produced u dont need the liscence

Unless you are kommifornia. No private party ammo sales allowed.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Where does it say you can't sell factory ammo? Or is that just a California thing?

Gun broker has those types of sales all the time and not every single person there is federally licensed.

Boolit Master
    To answer the question as I see it. I don't think anyone knows where the responsibility ends. Is Winchester or Remington still responsible for some shooting there Antique Ammo. Is the Loader always responsible
    In this age of Lawsuits and Attorneys I guess anything goes
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    To answer the question as I see it. I don't think anyone knows where the responsibility ends. Is Winchester or Remington still responsible for some shooting there Antique Ammo. Is the Loader always responsible
    In this age of Lawsuits and Attorneys I guess anything goes
    I think that the original question was about the need to have a license to sell ammunition manufactured by a licensee. m-tecs response covered the federal law and fredje338 pointed out that there are also applicable laws in some states.

The issue of civil liability is very complicated and it’s impossible to even guess who might be responsible for what without specific facts to evaluate. That said, it does seem extremely unlikely that someone who simply sells a product would be found liable for a manufacturing problem with the product; they have neither knowledge nor control over the manufacturing. A reloader on the other hand does have both knowledge and control so would more likely have some civil liability for damages.

I won’t sell my reloads even as “for components only.” I think that’d be an insufficient defense to a civil case brought by a guy missing a few fingers and an eye, but that’s just my personal assessment. I see no risk in reselling factory ammo. Oh, I also don’t ever package/store reloads in factory boxes, again that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I think that the original question was about the need to have a license to sell ammunition manufactured by a licensee. m-tecs response covered the federal law and fredje338 pointed out that there are also applicable laws in some states.

The issue of civil liability is very complicated and it’s impossible to even guess who might be responsible for what without specific facts to evaluate. That said, it does seem extremely unlikely that someone who simply sells a product would be found liable for a manufacturing problem with the product; they have neither knowledge nor control over the manufacturing. A reloader on the other hand does have both knowledge and control so would more likely have some civil liability for damages.

I won’t sell my reloads even as “for components only.” I think that’d be an insufficient defense to a civil case brought by a guy missing a few fingers and an eye, but that’s just my personal assessment. I see no risk in reselling factory ammo. Oh, I also don’t ever package/store reloads in factory boxes, again that’s just me.
    The ins and out of Products Liability Law are both interesting and complex. Depending on a number of things, the designer, manufacturer or seller may be liable for defective/dangerous products. The core of the law centers on several "implied warrantees" created by law, which all the disclaimers in the world can't defeat. Anybody who sells reloaded ammo, whether it was reloaded by them or a third party, knows it was not produced under industry safety standards, on equipment not designed for industry safety standards, but people who are not trained up to industry safety standards. The fact that the use of reloaded ammo voids factory firearms warrantee is all you need to know on the subject. Bottom line is the sale of reloads places a person on the thinnest legal ice I can imagine. I hope they have a good prayer life.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The ins and out of Products Liability Law are both interesting and complex. Depending on a number of things, the designer, manufacturer or seller may be liable for defective/dangerous products. The core of the law centers on several "implied warrantees" created by law, which all the disclaimers in the world can't defeat. Anybody who sells reloaded ammo, whether it was reloaded by them or a third party, knows it was not produced under industry safety standards, on equipment not designed for industry safety standards, but people who are not trained up to industry safety standards. The fact that the use of reloaded ammo voids factory firearms warrantee is all you need to know on the subject. Bottom line is the sale of reloads places a person on the thinnest legal ice I can imagine. I hope they have a good prayer life.
    As they say in the movies: "Counselor, I concur". Might also check and see what the statute of limitation period for products liability is in your state.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Bottom line is the sale of reloads places a person on the thinnest legal ice I can imagine. I hope they have a good prayer life.
    Thought it was worth repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    As they say in the movies: "Counselor, I concur". Might also check and see what the statute of limitation period for products liability is in your state.
    Who do I bill my time to?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Who do I bill my time to?
    You may be in Texas, and I am in Arkansas, but billing is one problem that knows no state boundary lines. Had much the same discussion with a lawyer in Ontario; we agreed it is also quite common across international borders too.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    so selling reloaded ammo that was produced orginally by a lisenced person
    can then be sold over and over by others without a lisence and no liability on seller??????

No different than a gun shop selling remington factory ammo ?????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    so selling reloaded ammo that was produced orginally by a lisenced person
    can then be sold over and over by others without a lisence and no liability on seller??????

No different than a gun shop selling remington factory ammo ?????
    There will be licensing required if you’re in the business of selling ammo just like if you were in the business of selling cupcakes, normal business license, sales tax, etc. You may also have local zoning issues. Lots of variables based on your location. That said, no, you do not need an FFL to engage in the business of selling manufactured ammunition.

As to liability, there is no business that has no liability and nobody can begin to answer the question without details.