Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Did I get leading ?

Did I get leading ?

Had alot if people asking if I got leading from puting PC cast though my AR. Figured it would be best to do a video so eveyone can see what I saw. So does this look like leading or just powder fouling?

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Run a dry patch through and look down the barrel.
    You should not see smeared lead in the grooves
    (Grooves should be clean-edged)

If uncertain, scrub a solvent patch down the bore -- followed by dry/dry.
    Again... if grooves are then clear, so are you.

Banned

If you have an air compressor blow the upper out with an air gun. Or go buy a can of air for compt e s to blow it out.

Boolit Master

lead will be rough and dull. After you ran your solvent and brush through and then dry patched a couple times any leading would appear dull while the rest of the barrel appears shiny. Assuming it's not a sewer pipe pitted barrel of course. Also spot leading will generally flake off bits and you will see lead flakes on your patch.

You can feel when your patch passes over leading, but that's a feel you will only remember and recognize after you have positively identified leading previously. If that makes sense.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

So from looking at the video I posted with the view of the barrel and patches does it look like I got leading because I'm still not 100% sure
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I didn't see any, focusing the camera very carefully helps though Hard, I know.

You might look at your powder, that much unburned powder might be telling you a slightly faster powder would be better for your needs? Unsure what you're using, but that much unburned powder affecting function isn't a good thing.

Get some 100% copper Chor-boy scrubbing pads. wrap some around a tight cleaning patch and run it through the barrel several times and it should loosen any leading. Also, you can pick up an inexpensive endoscope that will hook up to your phone or computer on Amazon. It will give you a much better look at your bore.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Clean the barrel and then check for well defined lands and grooves. The video isn't in focus enough to make any exact determination.

It helps to have a lot of light and a white background to make everything more clear.

If you aren't seeing any leading and no lead is coming when cleaning you're probably good.

Boolit Master
    When I get leading I can see it at the muzzle. Not looking down the lenght of the bore. I use a bright light and magnifying glass and just look at the inside near the crown.

Usually I have to first clean with some solvent to get rid of powder fouling. If you then have some grey deposits, then that is leading. Most of the time I see it first in the 'corners' of the land/groove.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Lyman makes a bore scope that is under $300, get one if your budget can afford it.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

a Teslong endoscope for $45 works well enough for me, and great for new barrel sales. LOL
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Some of you must like to spend money! I recently got a brand new bore scope from Ebay for $12.45! Load an app to your phone, plug into the phone, and see the bore.

<ebay link removed>
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 04-16-2021 at 03:43 AM. Reason: ebay links are verboten, silly Mod Emeritus!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Some of you must like to spend money! I recently got a brand new bore scope from Ebay for $12.45! Load an app to your phone, plug into the phone, and see the bore.

<ebay link removed>
    oh yea, way cheaper until you add in the price of a new Android ohone. LOL
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 04-16-2021 at 03:45 AM. Reason: ebay link removed

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    or a tablet or whatever. Some Androids are $35ish now?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    oh yea, way cheaper until you add in the price of a new Android ohone. LOL
    You can get them to work on any phone. Most everyone already has one.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Not an iPhone, unless something has changed in the last 14 months. My Teslong is not compatible with iPhones, so I gotta plug it into my notebook. No biggie at the workbench, but a phone capable unit would sure be handy when about to buy a used weapon.

Boolit Bub
    Since you powder coat I doubt your getting any leading. If you have unburnt powder you need to lower your poder load. You're just waiting powder. Very nice video! Some people are convinced you always have leading with cast bullets. You're not going to change their mind.