RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS die set 45031

Boolit Bub

RCBS die set 45031

This is a first: a Google search turned up absolutely nothing on this set. RCBS no longer lists them, so they probably won't offer any info. At any rate, they're not responding to emails right now, so there's point trying. Does anyone have any experience with these, specifically, does anyone know for sure that they are roll-crimp, rather than taper-crimp, dies? They load the .455 Webley.

Boolit Man

It only requires a simple test, 1 case, and 1 bullet. The normal drill; size, flare case mouth, insert bullet into case, seat bullet, crimp bullet while adjusting crimp / seating die further down.

Is the bullet crimp a taper crimp or a roll crimp? Big hint: no matter how low you set a taper crimp die, it will not form a roll crimp. You may taper crimp the mouth 0.080" BUT it is not a roll crimp.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer1911 View Post
    It only requires a simple test, 1 case, and 1 bullet. The normal drill; size, flare case mouth, insert bullet into case, seat bullet, crimp bullet while adjusting crimp / seating die further down.

Is the bullet crimp a taper crimp or a roll crimp? Big hint: no matter how low you set a taper crimp die, it will not form a roll crimp. You may taper crimp the mouth 0.080" BUT it is not a roll crimp.

Unfortunately, the seller has neither the ability nor interest to be able to perform any tests. He doesn't reload.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit in my request. If I had possession of the dies, I wouldn't need to ask. I'm interested in purchasing this set, but only if it's a roll crimp. All I have is the classified advert, so I'm reduced to asking if anyone out there currently possesses an RCBS 45031 die set for the .455 Webley and can confirm whether or not it performs a roll crimp.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since the only .455 Webley autoloader I can think of is the Webley-Fosbery, I would bet the dies roll crimp. Unless the are meant for the British .455 used in their version of the 1911, which admittedly is a pretty slight chance.

If it is for a decent price, I would buy them. Even if it is a taper crimp, you can still shoot them in a revolver.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Since the only .455 Webley autoloader I can think of is the Webley-Fosbery, I would bet the dies roll crimp. Unless the are meant for the British .455 used in their version of the 1911, which admittedly is a pretty slight chance.

If it is for a decent price, I would buy them. Even if it is a taper crimp, you can still shoot them in a revolver.

Robert

The Webley-Fosbery is still a revolver, just a self-cocking one. However, you do bring up an interesting point, since Webley did design and manufacture their own auto in .455, separate from the 1911. It was used by the Royal Navy. If this set is designed for the Webley auto, it won't be roll crimp. That might also explain why there's zero information in the Google search. Webley autos are hardly common, so it stands to reason the dies for them would be even scarcer.
    Last edited by asdf; 04-13-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I can’t find that number. There were two different sets for roll vs taper. My bet is they are roll.

However, LEE has an Set and Redding. The Redding is in stock at grafs

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by j4570 View Post
    I can’t find that number. There were two different sets for roll vs taper. My bet is they are roll.

However, LEE has an Set and Redding. The Redding is in stock at grafs
    I'm in Canada; Graf's isn't. Redding has a good name, though I'm not sure about their .455 dies specifically. Also, their product is pricey enough to start with, and by the time you add the crazy American postage rates.... There are Lee sets in stock here in Canada, but the Lee set has issues, apparently, and although their separate collet crimp die would be perfect, it's not available for the Webley.

The RCBS set is offered to me in Canada at a good price, but I need a roll crimp. I'd hate to pay the shipping only to find out RCBS used a one-type-does-it-all to cut cost.

On a better note, a bit of research has shown me that the .455 Auto is a totally different cartridge. The box would certainly be labelled as such, so I don't think it's part of the equation here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    The Webley-Fosbery is still a revolver, just a self-cocking one. However, you do bring up an interesting point, since Webley did design and manufacture their own auto in .455, separate from the 1911. It was used by the Royal Navy. If this set is designed for the Webley auto, it won't be roll crimp. That might also explain why there's zero information in the Google search. Webley autos are hardly common, so it stands to reason the dies for them would be even scarcer.
    You are right about the W-F being a revolver, but I know I have seen a Webley .455 slide type auto loader. Maybe on Forgotten Weapons?
    I'm having computer issues now and can't really access youtube to search for the video.
    The one I'm thinking of was big and blocky, kind of like a well made High-Point. Is that as stupid sounding to you as it is to me?
    Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    You are right about the W-F being a revolver, but I know I have seen a Webley .455 slide type auto loader. Maybe on Forgotten Weapons?
    I'm having computer issues now and can't really access youtube to search for the video.
    The one I'm thinking of was big and blocky, kind of like a well made High-Point. Is that as stupid sounding to you as it is to me?
    Robert
    You're memory is correct. You're thinking of the Webley & Scott Automatic, the block-iest pistol ever seen (but most modern autos are approaching that stage). It was adopted by the Royal Navy just before WWI. It's most commonly thought of as a .455 (a completely different cartridge to the Webley revolver round, I discovered), but was also made in .32 and .38. I even found one example in .25. It was also issued to the RFC and to some artillery units. The Metropolitan Police used them also, in the lighter caliber. The lighter caliber weapons were much smaller, but just as rectangular as their big brothers.

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 281342

This is a snip from Huntingtons website with the last part numbers for the Revolver and Auto Dies (probably several years ago, you can find this on their site if you dig). That's about as good as it gets but it does show two different sets.

A review of my 1976 RCBS catalog only shows The Webley in the Custom Order section with no part number, it's just a table of calibers available.

I've never had a problem with Redding Dies, and yes they are about $200. I always look for used as well, but if it's something I shoot, I have gotten to where I try to quit worrying about it. I mean if you shoot 20 boxes in it (500 rounds) while you own it, then that's $10 more per box. I understand the Canada customs issue as well.

The RCBS part numbers changed over the years as they changed seating stem setups, moved the decapper from the expander to the sizer, etc. so that's why it can be difficult to track down.

If the LEE dies have problems, then I would probably go for those used RCBS you have found at a good price. Doesn't sound like you are going to be able to get any more info from the seller.

Boolit Buddy
    One more option, Buffalo Arms has 455 Webley dies in stock. It's another $20 for the shellholder so about $150 total.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/455-webl...455webley.html

Also, it's shipping from the US as you mentioned it's probably expensive. And not sure if dies require the dreaded export permit.

I know it's more than you want to spend probably, but it's out there as an option.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You could see if a call to RCBS turned up anyone there who knew for certain?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    You could see if a call to RCBS turned up anyone there who knew for certain?

They're not interested. They're not even taking calls. "Leave your number. We'll call you." Emails have a minimum 2-week turn-around time.

Boolit Bub
    One more option, Buffalo Arms has 455 Webley dies in stock. It's another $20 for the shellholder so about $150 total.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/455-webl...455webley.html

Also, it's shipping from the US as you mentioned it's probably expensive. And not sure if dies require the dreaded export permit.

I know it's more than you want to spend probably, but it's out there as an option.

Any shipping from the U.S. is expensive for us. Obviously, there's the exchange rate. Then, USPS parcel rates are huge compared to ours, which might be why so many U.S. sellers use those pirates at UPS (turn head and spit). They're despised here in Canada. They tack on big bogus surcharges and hold our parcels for ransom until it's paid. Then they dump them on the doorstep in broad daylight with a "free for the taking" sign on them. Canada Post is a bargain by comparison, no surcharges, no dealing with Customs, and they safely deliver the parcels to my P.O. box.

The only set of dies I ever bought from the U.S. were one-offs, so I had no choice. By the time they crossed the border, they cost $350 Can.

My fall-back option may end up being to buy the mystery dies, then if necessary, get a Lee collet crimper in .45 Colt and shorten it to .455 Webley.

P.S. I did check the Buffalo link, just out of curiosity. They turn out to be CH4D dies. I checked out CH4D in the past, but they only offer taper crimp. A lot of makers substitute taper, to simplify inventory, or use a hybrid die, not a true roll crimp.
    Last edited by asdf; 04-15-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    It looks like your best option is to buy the mystery dies. They might just turn out really well! I know the LEE set is probably a mixed set. I've heard of a lot of people using 45 ACP or 45 Auto Rim dies and modifying them as necessary. I have a set of Auto Rim dies around here somewhere. I probably should look in them and see if they taper or roll crimp. I know that probably most if not all 45 ACP dies taper crimp (though I think some early brands would roll crimp if you adjusted the die down far enough-not something you want, but something that occurred).

Jason

Boolit Bub
    It looks like your best option is to buy the mystery dies. They might just turn out really well! I know the LEE set is probably a mixed set. I've heard of a lot of people using 45 ACP or 45 Auto Rim dies and modifying them as necessary. I have a set of Auto Rim dies around here somewhere. I probably should look in them and see if they taper or roll crimp. I know that probably most if not all 45 ACP dies taper crimp (though I think some early brands would roll crimp if you adjusted the die down far enough-not something you want, but something that occurred).

Jason

You're right. I'm taking the dies, plus I've been offered a Lee collet crimper in .45 Colt that I can shorten to Webley length. Even if the set does roll crimp, the collet die has enough added advantage that it'll be worth it.

Thanks for all your help, Jason. Appreciate it.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez once ya'll get dies .455 Webley & Scott Auto is straight forward to load.
    SEMI RIMMED case. .45 Loong Colt parent brass. Use any boolit crimp you want!
    Lyman 457127 casts the prefect boolit. Ammo eyeballs just like factory....
    Phun to shoot.....
    (Checkout the "blind shaping" operation inside the sllde..... YIKES!)

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA sez once ya'll get dies .455 Webley & Scott Auto is straight forward to load.
    SEMI RIMMED case. .45 Loong Colt parent brass. Use any boolit crimp you want!
    Lyman 457127 casts the prefect boolit. Ammo eyeballs just like factory....
    Phun to shoot.....
    (Checkout the "blind shaping" operation inside the sllde..... YIKES!)

Thanks, but not looking to load .455 Auto.

Boolit Man
    Ive had dies shipped out of the US by USPS cheaper than getting something shipped accross Canada. If Brownells has them the shipping is usually around 10.00 us. Never have anything shipped across the border by anyone other than USPS or you'll get hit with brokerage charges.

Boolit Master

To the question of crimper style, RCBS once commonly offered 45 Auto Rim dies, identical to the ACP set, except that the AR crimper was a roll style. I bet that their 455 dies, being for a revolver round, also have a roll crimper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast