Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cartridge Opinions? 38-55 vs 40-65 vs 40-70

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    It's best to have at least one of each .
    My sentiments exactely! The bottom rifle is a 40/65 with 6X Malcolm scope.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot all three in BPCR silhouettes all perormed well.

45-70 , Heaviest recoil wide selection of moulds, eats thru powder and lead fastest, Bullets range in wieght from 350-550 grains in weight. For lighter recoil keep rifle weight up close to allowed weight.

40-65 , Recoil is easier good selection of moulds for use, a little easier on lead but about the same on powder. bullets range in 375-450 grain weight. Again rifle weight makes a big reduction in recoil

38-55 , Lightest recoil, suitable are there. I run 330 - 365 grn bullets in mine but you also want to go to a 1-12 to 114 twist barrel for these. Components last longest here. even in a lighter rifle recoil is nice.

The bigger thing is not what you shoot but getting the zeros, learning the game and building your skill. Pick a rifle work up a solid load and get started. For sight radius I prefer 30-32" barrels a 34" can be hard to get to make weight

Banned

I've shot the .38-55 and .40-70ss, and owned a few .40-65s, but I found that the .45-70 is best, even with "reduced" loads which are easy to make with wad stacks and lightweight projectiles that are accurate enuf to win 200 yard matches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03221.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	281290

Boolit Grand Master

IMHO 38-55 can be more accurate out to about 300 yards but the 40 has more knock down for steel. It is sure disappointing to hear a clang and see nothing fall.

KCSO,

It's more disappointing when your only a two chicken shooter and hit one with the .45-90 and have it spinning like a top and not fall over. LOL.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! After reading everything I think I’m going to go with the 40-65. seems to have a pretty good backing and is different enough from the 45-70 recoil wise that there will be a felt difference and a reason for me to grab one over the other.

I have always had. A thing for the 38-55 so I’ll eventually get one. Maybe my next one will be a CPA Steven’s in 38-55 and with a 22 lr barrel....?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Exal View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! After reading everything I think I’m going to go with the 40-65. seems to have a pretty good backing and is different enough from the 45-70 recoil wise that there will be a felt difference and a reason for me to grab one over the other.

I have always had. A thing for the 38-55 so I’ll eventually get one. Maybe my next one will be a CPA Steven’s in 38-55 and with a 22 lr barrel....?
    A CPA in .38-55 would be a good choice. I have two of their rifles and they shoot very well.

Chris.

Boolit Bub
    Have you ever had a barrel getting loose on you with the cpa Steven’s? That’s probably the only issue I’ve heard about them so far.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If you wrap the barrel threads with teflon tape, and when the barrel is turned into position use a torgue wrench and set the screw that holds the barrel at 45 inch pounds it will help hold the barrel in place.
    Causes a boat load of vertical when that barrel set screw loosens up.. Been there done that.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Exal View Post
    Have you ever had a barrel getting loose on you with the cpa Steven’s? That’s probably the only issue I’ve heard about them so far.
    Yup. Mine have come loose a couple of times in the middle of shooting a relay. I increased the torque on the barrel screw a little and it hasn't happened again. I have had a few screws come loose, including a rifle that seemed to be shipped with a few of loose screws. Once I went over everything they've been no more trouble.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    My next 40-65 would be a 14 twist for more versatility and accuracy
    capable heavier bullets.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    I don't shoot steel, it's mighty hard to cook. Pun intended.

I do shoot the .45-70 and .38-55. The .45-70 runs about 1.5 MOA at 100 with an elbow rest and 530 grain lead.

The .38-55 shoots a 350 grain bullet from a Mos mould. I suspect it would work on steel, but don't know.

100 yards, offhand:

Boolit Master
    If I might add: perhaps a 40/82? I am a big fan of 38/55 shooting a Lyman 340gr postell, and 45/70s with 405gr slugs. I recently came into possession of a Browning BPCR that had originally been a 40/65 with a heavy, half octagon/round barrel. The previous owner wanted more oomph for out to 1000K and had it rechambered in t40/82. It came with no sights but scope bases and rings. I added a old Burris 4x12x40 that I had had over 30 years. Brass easily made by running 45/90 brass thru the sizing die. The gun is very heavy, and I have shot a whole parade of loads, and it shoots them all exceedingly well. I have been shooting 325 gr slugs, but have poured some 400gr postells that I will be using soon. No recoil period. Just thought I would add this option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12