MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flordia Iguana, and AIr Rifle Target?

Boolit Buddy

Flordia Iguana, and AIr Rifle Target?

DO you Florida shooters shoot Iguana?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zocoAV73iqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHnvRhxGinI

Looks like some people make a business of it?

Boolit Master
    That gal can shoot!!

Now that is a job I would do six days a week......
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Very cool! I have a brother that lives in Florida. I need to go visit him and take my Air Rifles with me!

She's making a living shooting lizards !!!! Looks like retirement income to me. Gotta be a kick in the butt.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

When I was stationed in Panama in the late 80’s, I bought an RWS model 48 and later popped an iguana that was running around the neighborhood. Somewhere there’s a VHS of me cooking it and my boys arguing over the last drumstick while saying how good it was while sitting on the dining room table

Boolit Master

I would definitely be shooting them if there were any around. They make a mess and are a real nuisance.

She certainly has the eye for spotting them. Good vid, thanks for posting!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Ok. So now I need to get a pellet gun. The one I had, growing up, didn’t have near the accuracy.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

That is pretty cool. Sure, keep pushing the you know you want a nice air rifle button. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    That has to be a nice job, and helps people

Boolit Master
    I think I just figured out what to do when I retire.

Boolit Master
    they deserve to be shot, those things are nasty. I'll never forget times visiting my aunt and uncle who had a very swanky condo on key Biscayne the building on the beach right next to where the crandon park zoo used to be, this is like 30 something years ago, iguanas everywhere, giant iguana poop all over the pool deck and in the pool. but it wasn't that way when then they bought the place back in the 70's. now they are everywhere. used to see them while out fishing. they live on the jetty rocks at gasparilla inlet, but there were just a few. I guess now they are so out of control there should be a bounty on them

Boolit Master

Man, that rifle is well over 1k, and add the require support equipment it can get to over 2k. Not too bad as a business expense but don't know I'd be able to swing it as a hobby.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Man she is a heck of an offhand shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Man, that rifle is well over 1k, and add the require support equipment it can get to over 2k. Not too bad as a business expense but don't know I'd be able to swing it as a hobby.
    Nobody says you have to use a PCP gun. A decent Springer would work just fine, and you could be up and running for under $500 for a decent gun.

MY R1 is a solid 75 yard gun and I have hit targets as far out as 100 yards with it. Trajectory is kind of steep but still usable. Inside 50 yards it is very predictable and shooting lizards off a rest would be child's play. Mine is a .22 and it shoots 25 gr pellets for bigger stuff, but the normal size is 18-19 gr.

The first two pics are of my .22 Cal. R1/HW80 with a Leupold VX1 1-4X scope mounted. Note the serious mount. You need one to keep the scope from moving around under recoil.

I also have a HW77 in .22 cal. It is not quite as powerful as the R1 but still a decent 50 yard gun.

The other two pics are of my HW35E with a Bug Buster Scope mounted. It is .177 cal. and very accurate but not as powerful beyond about 30 yards. Last pic is my original HW35 EB I got from Beeman in 1976

All these guns were made by Weihrauch in Germany and IMHO one of the best manufacturers of Air Rifles in existence. The HW 35 has been in continuous production since 1951 and they are my Favorite Air Rifles.

Right now the only thing stopping me from shooting Iguanas is the 3,000 mile Drive to get to Florida!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464627.JPG   100465045.JPG   100464673.JPG   100464672.JPG   100464621.JPG  

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Those of you without Airguns or can't afford one, But are really wanting to shoot Iguanas, should realize that a Decent Slingshot will fill the bill just fine. You are a little more limited in range but can still be effective inside 25 yards. A 3/8' Ball Bearing will knock the Coon Dog Ship out of an Iguana for sure.

With just a little practice you should be able to hit an Iguana Head Sized target just about every time from 10-15 yards.

You can buy a really good slingshot for $35 and I got one of these https://simple-shot.com/slingshots/1...t-lt-slingshot

Or you can make one if you don't want to spend any money. Necessity is the Mother of Invention !

I never realized just how big the Droppings from these critters are??? MY Gawd !!!,,, That alone would be reason enough for me to go on an all out Crusade to eradicate as many as possible in what ever time I have left on this planet.

Just something to think about?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-15-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Last edited by MusicMan; 04-16-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a springer rifle, but I have not dialed it in like hers, and the multiple round thing would be great. I have used a slingshot, a wrist rocket, on lizards though, not sure what kind but we were covered up with them in the Ivory Coast, long orange headed beasts.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

A couple of years ago my wife and I were in south Florida visiting my brother and stopped at a McDonald’s in Ft. Lauderdale. There were large trees overhanging the parking area so I parked there for the shade.
    I happened to see some movement in the trees and it was a Iguana and after looking closer there was dozens of them hanging out in the trees. Some were really big ! and the closer I looked the more I spotted, man that would be great shooting if you could find that on someone’s private property.
    If I lived there I would probably use them for shark bait or find some use for dead Iguanas.

Jedman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast