MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indicating micrometer?

Banned
    I hate to ask dumb questions , but if you want to quickly and accurately measure in quantity .
    Why not buy a small surface plate and a good test indicator ?

Set your nominal height with a gauge block then roll the bullets under the test indicator .
    Quick , easy and very accurate . it wouldn't break the bank to set up either
    Maybe $300 or so

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I hate to ask dumb questions , but if you want to quickly and accurately measure in quantity .
    Why not buy a small surface plate and a good test indicator ?

Set your nominal height with a gauge block then roll the bullets under the test indicator .
    Quick , easy and very accurate . it wouldn't break the bank to set up either
    Maybe $300 or so
    Might work but the shank of the bullet isn't the same size all the way to the base as the pressure ring is slightly larger.

I just realized the 0-1" mic I have won't work for what I'm doing so I'm going to have buy another normal mic or splurge on a indicating mic as my mic only reads in .001" and I need at least .0001"

Banned
    I think your over thinking things a bit to much .

So you overcome that issue by simply setting up a stop on the surface plate to push the bullet base against as you measure .
    Then you can measure any point on the bullet you want , repeatably and accurately

Boolit Master
    Many years back I bought a set of 4 mics from Enco as I worked in and auto engine rebuild shop. They were Chineese mics and were graduated to .0001 and when compared to the bosses Starrett mics or the standards they came with they were dead on. The set of 4 cost about $95. I still have them and they are still dead on although the set is probably closer to $200 now.

I'm not a bench rest shooter but I have a hard time believing +or- .0001 is going to make a measurable difference on a target. If you believe it will, you most certainly separate your bullets into piles of plus .0001, .0000 and minus .0001 and shoot for groups. If you can show a difference, then the cost of a $1000 mic may be worth it to you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Many years back I bought a set of 4 mics from Enco as I worked in and auto engine rebuild shop. They were Chineese mics and were graduated to .0001 and when compared to the bosses Starrett mics or the standards they came with they were dead on. The set of 4 cost about $95. I still have them and they are still dead on although the set is probably closer to $200 now.

I'm not a bench rest shooter but I have a hard time believing +or- .0001 is going to make a measurable difference on a target. If you believe it will, you most certainly separate your bullets into piles of plus .0001, .0000 and minus .0001 and shoot for groups. If you can show a difference, then the cost of a $1000 mic may be worth it to you.
    I got the HF 1" Digital .0001 mike that had the mechanical digital readout a couple of years ago, took it to class and used their Grade A Jo Block set to test it. DEAD ON! No error at all. Just recently bought a set of "Precise" 1", 2", 3" tenths mikes. $66 at Steve's Wholesale Tool in South OKC. Likewise. Will they last as long as a Starrett or Mitutoyo or B&S? Couldn't tell you, but for what I'm doing, and planning on doing, they'll do absolutely fine. If he wants to spend a grand on a mike, let him spend it. I'll spend my grand on other stuff. I don't think he NEEDS it, but it's his choice. Though if I were him, I'd try a regular tenths mike first, and see if it makes a difference before spending that grand.

As my eyesight ages, I'm more dependent than ever on my Fowler mechanical-digital mike. But I need a magnifier to read the vernier for "tenths".

I have a set of Jo-blocks myself, and it does check against them very well. (Worked for Zeiss IMT long enough to know that there's always SOME error. It's just not large enough to be noticeable.)

For starters, maybe he should set up a good mike in a bench clamp. That keeps the heat of your hand away from it.

https://www.amazon.com/Panavise-D080.../dp/B000SX1ZN0

https://www.amazon.com/Micrometer-Ho.../dp/B01DAYMT7Y
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-15-2021 at 12:50 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m tired of simple digital calipers always being out of battery power. I’m switching to a plain dial reads. Only drawback is you need two. One standard and the other metric. So far I’ve found a nice standard, used, but the metric ones, seem to be harder to come by.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m tired of simple digital calipers always being out of battery power. I’m switching to a plain dial reads. Only drawback is you need two. One standard and the other metric. So far I’ve found a nice standard, used, but the metric ones, seem to be harder to come by.
    Why? Just convert to whatever you need.

https://www.convertunits.com/from/inches/to/mm

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/...nch-to-mm.html
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That’s what I do now, but it does take additional time. Also I can think and calculate in either, but when I start mixing them, I start making mistakes especially measuring things that are really close. Don’t ever give me a tape measure with inches and fractions on one side and centimeters and millimeters on the other. I can’t stop my eyes from jumping back and forth!

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    That’s what I do now, but it does take additional time. Also I can think and calculate in either, but when I start mixing them, I start making mistakes especially measuring things that are really close. Don’t ever give me a tape measure with inches and fractions on one side and centimeters and millimeters on the other. I can’t stop my eyes from jumping back and forth!
    Multi-miliion-$$$ spacecraft have died because of this.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Man
    I have a bad habit of over thinking things. So I thought about it and bought a decent .0001" Mic and a new set of calipers as my old cheap ones were dying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12