RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indicating micrometer?

Boolit Man

Indicating micrometer?

Anyone know of any decent indicating micrometers out there that aren't overly expensive? Mitutoyo and Starrett are generally 1000 plus. Are there any budget friendly version out there that are even worth looking at?

Boolit Master
    What do you mean, indicating micrometer? Sounds like you may be looking for a dial indicator.

Boolit Master

I think you need to define more fully what you are looking for. A micrometer, caliper or dial indicator. Three different animals. I don't know of anything casting related in a quality that requires the precision of a $1000 instrument. Maybe you hit the zero one time too many?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Man

Major overkill for anything we do.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Precision of .00004" ? And no, I counted 0's after the decimal point most carefully. What are you doing you need that kind of accuracy for? Shooting stuff to Mars? It would be nice to have a tenths mike. That's .0001", and you would do fine with .0005" accuracy
    but for most thing firearm related .001" is adequate.

Boolit Grand Master

We had federals at work 0-1' and 0-2" used mostly for sorting parts or multiple part runs. set spindle to size at 0 on the indicator check with a gauge block and then sort run parts reading gauge for variance

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Precision of .00004" ? And no, I counted 0's after the decimal point most carefully. What are you doing you need that kind of accuracy for? Shooting stuff to Mars? It would be nice to have a tenths mike. That's .0001", and you would do fine with .0005" accuracy
    but for most thing firearm related .001" is adequate.
    Thats the first example i could find quickly. The one i was looking at was .0001" was looking at one for benchrest bullet making. Was shown to me by a bullet maker.

Try searching for comparators.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I purchased (I gauging) 0-1” 2 years ago that’s digital,from Amazon works but have to keep up with a battery. Works good and measures good enough for what I do.

Boolit Grand Master

Tht .0004 is what the indicator may be out in its ,010 travel from +.005--.005 Mike reads to .0005 on the dial

Boolit Grand Master

Indicating Micrometer is the proper term but the are commonly referred to as pressure mics. When used as a direct reading mic the resolution is no better than a standard mic except the pressure is more consistent. When used as a comparator calibrated off a standard like a gage block the resolution is determined by the resolution of the indicator and the standard.

https://www.starrett.com/metrology/p...etail/430XLZ-1

https://willrich.com/shop/micrometer...gaging%20force.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-12-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have several of those I use in my machine shop but NOT for gun stuff! We do not need that accuracy!!!!!

Digitals are really nice but you constantly have to replace those stupid coin-sized batteries because they are ON all the time, even though they have an OFF button! I prefer analog pointer dials. I have both styles in standard resolution and down to 0.00005 resolution.

Look at some of the stuff Horrible Freight peddles. It is dirt cheap, and fairly accurate for anything you would ever need gun-related.

Or watch ebay for a deal.

You only need a mic like you showed above when doing ultra-precision machining in a machine shop. I use digital dial calipers for most gun stuff.

Banned
    OP, I know you are making bullets from other forums, I did too for a number of years. IMO, most any good .0001" micrometer will give you the information you can use. I'm sure you have realized you can change the diameter of a bullet by .0001" just by changing the amount of lube you use. As good as today's jackets are, they still vary. You can measure until the cows come home, results on target are what counts.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    OP, I know you are making bullets from other forums, I did too for a number of years. IMO, most any good .0001" micrometer will give you the information you can use. I'm sure you have realized you can change the diameter of a bullet by .0001" just by changing the amount of lube you use. As good as today's jackets are, they still vary. You can measure until the cows come home, results on target are what counts.
    Ive already got a couple of 0-1" Mitutoyo mics , a standard outside and a ball mic. I figured this would be quicker but looking at the pricing it might be cost prohibitive.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive already got a couple of 0-1" Mitutoyo mics , a standard outside and a ball mic. I figured this would be quicker but looking at the pricing it might be cost prohibitive.
    I purchased most of mine off of eBay. I have a MAHR GAGE CO and Carl Zeiss 0-1 from eBay that cost me about the same as a medium quality standard mic. Same for my thread mic's. If you watch long enough there are still great deals to be had on the specialty type mics.

I do have a complete set of gage blocks and I have not been burnt on any of them.

If I was inspecting jacketed bullets I would look for a Indicator Bench Micrometer. For an example search eBay for "Inspection Mahr Supramess .00002" Indicator Bench Micrometer .0001" CARBIDE TIPS" If have seen really nice ones go for under $200.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-12-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

While $1000 might be cost prohibitive to you, the highlighted modifier indicates that something less might not be. We all have limits of one degree or another.

I've got two dial calipers, both Mitutoyo and a 0-1 inch micrometer by Brown & Sharp . These became available at work when everyone that used measuring instruments wanted digital. These were just sitting in the gauge office drawer. Since then I've acquired a couple more 0-1 inchers on Ebay. Also a ball mike that was under $30. These do all and more than I need. It is very easy to get carried away by .001" or .002" when such is not needed.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    While $1000 might be cost prohibitive to you, the highlighted modifier indicates that something less might not be. We all have limits of one degree or another.
    . It is very easy to get carried away by .001" or .002" when such is not needed.
    Thats the first example i could find quickly. The one i was looking at was .0001" was looking at one for benchrest bullet making. Was shown to me by a bullet maker.
    Hardly overkill for that application particularly if they are going to be sold.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Hardly overkill for that application particularly if they are going to be sold.
    Only going to be making them for my own use.

A long, LONG time ago (1960s) I used what is now seemingly called a "dial indicator test stand" combined with a Mahr indicator to sort rollers for a high speed roller bearing, so as to get a full set that were as alike as possible The Mahr had resolution in millionths. Very convenient, as you could handle the rollers with two hands. (Gloved, since heat would make a detectable difference.) We called the assembly a "comparator", since you adjusted it to a nominal value with gage blocks.

https://www.fowlerprecision.com/Prod...2-580-011.html

https://www.mcmaster.com/dial-indica...tor-holders-8/

https://www.mahr.de/en-us/Services/P...parator--inch/

The Mahr Millimess has been around for generations. Might find one used on evilBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIATEST-DIA....c101197.m1850
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-12-2021 at 09:55 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast