Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger new model flattop black hawk

Ruger new model flattop black hawk

I’ve been chasing one of these in 44 special with the 4.5 barrel for the last 5 years. As soon as I had extra cash the supply would dry up. Then the end of the world started last year and they really disappeared. Went to the Tulsa show yesterday and found exactly 2, 1 beat up example and one double the last msrp. Are these pistols everything I think they are? Should a 44 special on a 357 frame become my all consuming grail quest? Or should I just forget it and go shoot my super Blackhawk 44mag and save myself the anguish? I’m curious to hear from the guys that own and have shoot these, is the juice worth the squeeze?

Boolit Master

I had the 4.75” barrel FT in 44spec, and yes it’s all of that and then some. I currently have the 5.5” and paid $500 for it, private sale NIB. Don’t like the 5.5” barrel, just doesn’t feel/handle well for me. Called Bowen Customs and thinking about sending it in for a Kenia Conversion. But don’t see where it would make the FT worth the $2000 I would have in it. Not discounting Mr Bowen’s work! The gentleman took time and talked to me and helped me to figure out what I should order. Nor do I think sending it back for a shorter barrel is worth it either. So pondering......

I will sound like a broken record and repeat this, a BH in 41 magnum is about perfect fit and feel. I haven’t seen one that didn’t shoot great. The 4.75”ish barrel balances well for me and I have taken deer out to 75 yards with a 265gr boolit. The thing is a laser! If I could get one in the FT version I would cry. But the regular version is calling to me again. Maybe will put one up and have the grip frame sent off for some custom grips while I will shim the hammer and trigger is needed. Maybe better sights. Or let Mr Bowen do his Basic Package on it.

Hard to beat a short barrel SBH with mild loads. I had one that I did send the grip frame in for some fitted grips and it was well worth it! Thinner and make it handle much better. And I added a lowered hammer on it. Those are the two point of interest that really may a difference in any SA I shot a lot. Not like a good Italian Clone of the 1873, but still pretty good.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I have a pair of the .44 Spl Blackhawks,, but they aren't Flattops. They are good shooters for sure.
    And as noted,, a good .41 mag is also a good option.
    I'd suggest you sit on the money, stay strong & wait to find what YOU want.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have a pair of .44Spl flat top BlackHawks and they are excellent revolvers. Mine are 5-1/2" blued steel models.
    I most likely would buy another if I ever find one in good condition at a reasonable price.

And I agree with a couple of other's who stated that the .41Mag is an excellent cartridge particularly in a Ruger BlackHawk. I have two of them, one of which is a 3 screw and they both are quite accurate and will easily handle quite powerful handloads with ease.

Boolit Master
    I sure don't know how much you would like one . But my 4 5/8 , 44 special Bisley is my favorite Big bore . I find it very easy to hit with.

Absolutely worth the wait and the search. Imho best guns Ruger has made in decades.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 4 5/8'" blued and it is the real deal. I had had about a half dozen 44 specials, due to the malarkey spewed by Skeeter Skelton and Ol' Elmer about how great the 44 Spl. cartridge was. I had a 3rd generation Colt, A S&W hand ejector, a Charter Bulldog, and both a 4" M-24 and a 6 1/2 624. None of them shot anywhere close to as well as my S&W 14 or Python did.

However, the Flat-top is the most accurate 44 Spl I have ever had. The throats are virtually identical, and run just over .430, while there is no thread choke in the .429 barrel. Mine shoots better than I can by a fair margin. (It is somewhat humbling when you shoot a nice 2" group at 25 yards, then hand the gun to your buddy, who then proceeds to put the first 5 shots he's ever fired from that gun into a group that you can cover with a 50 cent piece.) I like mine immensely and have carried it while hunting, though I have not had much luck with it.

Bottom line, I would continue to look for one were I you. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	281210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	281211
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

There is allot of mythology floating around about the 44 Special round, due to the hype of some gunwriters. I have owned at least a half dozen or more 44 Specials over the years and have not found them to be anything special. The accuracy potential of any handgun is based on the revolver mechanics and not the caliber. For life in Texas, I favor the 357 Magnum, as my all around do all handgun caliber. If nostalgia is on tap, I will go with a 45 Colt revolver.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I had a FT Blackhawk 44 Special. I liked it but like the Smith M69 more. I frequently shoot 44 Special cases in it, 44 Mag cases loaded with 44 Special loads with the bullet seated deep and 44 Russian cases in it.
    It does what I want and I occasionally carry it. I carried it to Church Sunday.
    But that FT is a fine firearm. Notice I didn't say weapon, a term I despise.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the newer ones, say one year old pre pandemic. Love the trigger and mechanicals but the gripsvwere loose. The Ruger replacements in rosewood were no better. I had to add a 1/16 wide strip to the forward vertical frame junctions. I wish I could leave the gate open while working the hammer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Absolutely worth the wait and the search. Imho best guns Ruger has made in decades.

And a Bisley to boot! Makes my heart ache looking at it! Going to have to sell the 5.5”!
    Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

I have 2 4.6" stainless, a 5.5"blue . 2blue bisleys 5.5", a flat top .45conv, and a mid frame stainless vaquero 3.75", In my opinion they are all that and a bag of chips. I really like the mid frame and have 2 old model .357s modified to .41spl, and a Colt New Frontier in .41spl by Alan Harton. I own some large frame Rugers but really like the feel and balance of the mid frame.
    The mid frame .357s are also a winner IMHO.
    You should not chase or over pay for one, just sit on your money or buy a good handgun worth the money and use it til you find what you are looking for at a decent price. Then if you find you have made a wrong decision you may sell or trade it without loosing money on the deal...........
    All JMHO-YMMV take care be well.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    The gun is in your head so stay with what you want. I would stick to your budget and configuration though (unless you want 2 that is).

I've got a SS 4 5/8" Bisley version and my shooting partner has an early blued 5.5" version. Having a lot of RBH's/Single Six's, I don't find any particular magic in the 44 Special's but do find they are as accurate as any others and in a nice sized package. Maybe I'm lucky because not one of the many calibers in my Ruger's is a dog. I just had to have one of the Flattop's and waited until I found the configuration I wanted and jumped on it.

I know many mention the supplied grips don't fit well. I agree but don't get rid of a gun I buy and always plan to get fitted grips usually before I even shoot them. The one complaint I don't see much is incorrectly sized throats. Mine was close enough to .431" on all chambers and a .4305" sized bullet fits and shoots as good as I could hope for.

No, they aren't magic but they are worthy of a purchase.

It’s definitely stuck with me, i really like the looks of those flat tops. I bought one of the new model 44 special vaqueros on that that midsize frame and that’s what got me looking. I own several 44 mags and mostly shoot 44 special loads in 44 magnum cases. I’ve got a 4 inch 629 that I would be buried with if it wasn’t such a waste of a good handgun. I shoot enough to know the 44 special isn’t exactly magic, but it sure can feel like it in the right handgun. The Lyman 429241 or 429244 hp at around 900fps can solve most problems I encounter on the Great Plains and is fun to shoot.
    Thank you all for the advice and encouragement.
    I’m afraid my choice between a bisley and standard grip frame is going to come down to what I can find first. But just out of curiosity what are the bisley advantages? I’ve never owned one nor shot that style frame enough to have an informed idea about it.

Only other question is if Ruger is still producing these flat tops? Before the start of the panic last year both the bisley and the standard flat top where both in stock several places. Then nothing, I can’t even find the model listed on Rugers website anymore.

Boolit Master
    I've had a Lipsey Ruger New Model Blackhawk 4 1/4" in 44 Special for 6 or 7 years. Bar none it is my favorite. Got me seriously back into reloading; since back then 44 Special ammo was about a $ a caliber - $44 a box. Also got me thick into casting - Lee .430" 240 grain SWC's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger SA June 28a.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	281245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger target 6 8 gr Unique.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	281246
    Last edited by JoeJames; 04-13-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

No real advantage to Bisley frame. It is totally a "feel" thing. Not much middle ground you love em or hate em. I am solidly in the love em camp.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I too had the 44 spl flattop bug and a couple of years ago lucked into one. It is everything that I thought it would be and then some. I have a buddy that stands 6.6 with big hands and he says a little small for him, he prefers the SBH. The flattop fits my hands exactly. As far as the cartridge goes, it is not a 44 mag and I don't need it to be. I keep it around 850 and is about the same as a warm 38 special/lite 357. It is now my go-to sidearm for woods roaming, bushhogging etc... I don't believe it is any more or less accurate the any other single action caliber but it is economical to load for comparing it to 45 colt or 44 mag. Yes I know you can download those two but I find the spl case easier to get along with. If (heaven forbid) I had to sell my single actions the flattop would be last to go.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    I too had the 44 spl flattop bug and a couple of years ago lucked into one. It is everything that I thought it would be and then some. I have a buddy that stands 6.6 with big hands and he says a little small for him, he prefers the SBH. The flattop fits my hands exactly. As far as the cartridge goes, it is not a 44 mag and I don't need it to be. I keep it around 850 and is about the same as a warm 38 special/lite 357. It is now my go-to sidearm for woods roaming, bushhogging etc... I don't believe it is any more or less accurate the any other single action caliber but it is economical to load for comparing it to 45 colt or 44 mag. Yes I know you can download those two but I find the spl case easier to get along with. If (heaven forbid) I had to sell my single actions the flattop would be last to go.
    Tony
    Agree. Mine would be the last to go on my list too! For some unknown reason if I load hard cast .430" 240 grain with 6.5 grains of Unique, or soft cast (non water quenched) .430 240 grain with 6.8 grains of Unique, both end up running at about 894 fps per my chronograph.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

I've got mine, and no, it's not for sale. There's a nice example sitting on Gunbroker right now, so they are still out there. The hunt is half the fun; plus, remember the Happy Times, when the lean and hungry gunstore clerks would pounce on you and beg to know what you are looking for? If they ever come back again, having "Got any Ruger .44 Special Flattops?" on the tip of your tongue will keep them at bay.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    I have one and it is one of my favorite revolvers it is a 5.5 inch which is my favorite length for a single action I know that I’m in the minority there but I just like it so well and it shoots wonderfully.I have a mold made by RCBS that somebody milled off the gas check it was the 220 grain semi-wadcutter and that little revolver loves that bullet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast