Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else remember these?

Boolit Master

Anyone else remember these?

Worked in my dad's gun store as a kid and had to use this thing all the time. I remember giving the yellow slip to the customer and the rest went into a box to be counted at the end of the day.

I can still remember the sound they make...

Attachment 281199
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Yes we even had them this side of the pond. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Yep I too can here that sound in my head. A thing of the past.

Boolit Master
    Still had those in store until about 2013 when we finally pulled them out. *Kerchunk*

I used those when I worked in a gunshop back in the 90's.....

Boolit Master
    The supply house I use for work still uses them for house charges. I don't think they have new plates made up but if they have one on file the use it. We've been a customer for 60yrs so they use ours almost daily.

Banned

I haven't seen one of those for a while, but not long ago, probably within the last year, had to get a money order from the little town post office and he broke out one of the old style ones with carbon paper copies and machine like that to run it through. I think they still had some and were using them up, even they had the new style for quite some time.

Boolit Master

When my Dad operated a service station it sat right next to the cash register. Set the amount of the sale, imprint, then get the customer's signature.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I haven't seen one of those for a while, but not long ago, probably within the last year, had to get a money order from the little town post office and he broke out one of the old style ones with carbon paper copies and machine like that to run it through. I think they still had some and were using them up, even they had the new style for quite some time.
    The fact that our government is still using them does not surprise me one bit, unfortunately.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

And they always worked .

Boolit Master
    Yes,the credit card had embossed letters,and the device printed multiple copies thru 'no carbon required' papers.......the devices probably belonged to credit card companies.

Banned
    Yep, sure do remember those.

It saved you from having to write that 16 digit card number on the slip. Some of them would also imprint the amount of the change and some you had to write that in yourself.

When I was a kid, my library card had a metal strip with raised numbers. The library had a similar machine to capture the card number.

Boolit Master
    Used one on my job at the service station in high school.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Yes,the credit card had embossed letters,and the device printed multiple copies thru 'no carbon required' papers.......the devices probably belonged to credit card companies.
    I know the ones we had in our retail stores were issued to us by the CC organization that is the same one that now requires chip readers. Whenever we closed a store we actually had to pry the plate off the machine and return just the plate. No one cared about the machine itself, just that little embossed plate.

Boolit Grand Master

I used one working at a gas station. Had to call the CC to authorize the charge then swiped it.

One thing you can always tell. A person on a computer that learned to type on one and someone who learned on a manual. How many do you think would know what carbon paper is much less how to change a ribbon?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    I still had one at the last restaurant I ran. It's actually a great backup because when power or internet goes out there is no way to run a card. It seems like 90% of people don't carry cash anymore so having a backup means of payment is needed. I'm actually surprised more small shops don't have them still.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I used them at DU and turkey banquets back in the the early 2000’s...I think they still use them.lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Up till 2015 on the base I worked at in GA the P.O. on base had the same kind of M.O. machine. They lady would set the amount using little levers on the front of the machine and she would pull the handle like a slot machine and the M.O. would print out.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Yes sir. Used them when I started working at a Standard service station when I was 15. Had to look up card numbers in a book that was updated monthly to make sure the number wasn't listed as a bad card. If you took one you paid for it.

Boolit Master
    you had to phone supplier if it was more than £100 .klunk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast