Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else remember these?

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking about this the other day. The last time I remember having my card run on one was when I bought Braveheart on VHS at a Gibsons. 2 of the 3 are no longer around

In the early 2000's the county I lived in had a damaging thunder storm that knocked out power for days. The local Sears store was open operating by lantern and flashlight. They had one of those machines and were checking people out with it and a calculator.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I haven't seen one in about 10 years...but they can't be used on many of the new cards. They don't have raised numbers/letters any longer. The CC # is just printed on the back of many new cards.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

At my wife's place of business they have one for the days when the power is out or the computer is down.
    After the power or computer comes back up they enter the sales manually into the computer with the information on the receipts .
    Otherwise they couldn't do any business ...we have a long hurricane season and power can be out for weeks .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

Mom and Dad had one for the shop. I remember the slips with carbon paper before the new fangled ones came out.

What we called knuckle busters.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

When I left the paint store in 2004, we still used one for American Express.
    Any purchase over $50. we were supposed to call them for authorization.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day. The last time I remember having my card run on one was when I bought Braveheart on VHS at a Gibsons. 2 of the 3 are no longer around
    There is still a Gibson's like you remember in Clay Center, Kansas. Not as big as the two in Lawton, Oklahoma I remember so fondly, but pretty close and still keep a little reloading stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Yes sir. Used them when I started working at a Standard service station when I was 15. Had to look up card numbers in a book that was updated monthly to make sure the number wasn't listed as a bad card. If you took one you paid for it.
    Same for me in 1975 - 1978. Started at the Standard station day after my 15th B-day. Purchased myself a car on my 16th B-day with the money I earned. I got my drives license in the morning and went to work that afternoon and evening. On weekends and nights drove the wrecker also. That was in a small town with only one station open in the evenings and weekends. Watched several friends and parents of friends die from car accidents that I responded too. Also shot cattle, horses, deer and antelope that were hit by cars. The wrecker had a 22RF bolt gun and a single shot 12 gauge for that use.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    I used one when I pumped gas as a wee lad.

I had a thread going many-many moons ago about remembering old things

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Yep - we had them in our family business as well.

What I remember very well wa before those . . . when I was a kid, every once in a while my mother would take us to the city and buy us clothes for Church - most of our clothes as a kid were denim jeans and all of our ****s, pajamas, etc my mother or my grandmother made for us. It was exciting to go into the city and a clothing store to get a sport jacket and trousers for Church when we outgrew the old ones. I those days, customers with good credit were given "metal charge plates". When the purchase was made, my mother would hand the clerk her metal charge card, he wrote p the order and the order and the metal charge card were put in a carrier and put in the vacuum tube wjocj west i[staors tp the book-keeper. She recorded the sale, put the three piece invoice in a very similar item asw shown only it was more of a press with a handle which would moss the customer information on the three layer invoice which had carbon paper . it was then sent back downstairs to the clerk in the vacuum tue where my mother would sign it and she was given a copy and the remaining copies sent back upstairs in the vacuum tube to the book-keep to post to her ledger.

Times haver sure changed . . . but I still long for those days when things were, or seemed, much better than today.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, used them. Worse chore was to check the tiny book for stolen/cancelled cards before running them through the unit.

Boolit Master

That and counting back change is a thing of the past......unfortunately...
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Used them at searches when fueling our aircraft, one of our kids was an idiot and kept changing the numbers randomly, when I caught him at it he opined that they were random numbers anyways... I asked if he thought the FBO (fixed base operator, guys who run the place) would be amused at some idiot randomly changing the date on those receipts, took a while for him to get it. Grumble.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw them in use less than a month ago. I was leaving a restaurant they were telling customers cash only, and trying get money out of those who had no cash. Went down the road to harbor freight and they had three lines going cash only and two credit card lines. I give the manager credit he was running back and forth trying to teach the youth how to use them. Funny the cash only line was next to empty. I still try and run on cash as much as I can. I guess they would have to pen and ink mine in because the number on my c.c. are printed not raised.

Boolit Master
    My podiatrist used one at my last visit a couple years ago. He was a stubborn sort for old technology; still had an XRay machine that used film cassettes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    My podiatrist used one at my last visit a couple years ago. He was a stubborn sort for old technology; still had an XRay machine that used film cassettes.
    I would use that doctor's services for that alone. I'm a technology phobe myself to a large degree, still carrying a flip phone which my teenage students find very amusing. When I'm retired for good, I won't even be carrying that.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My first charge card was from Sears. It was smaller than those today. They had the type of machine with a big handle and a roller inside to imprint the name and number. How many remember those?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    When my Dad operated a service station it sat right next to the cash register. Set the amount of the sale, imprint, then get the customer's signature.
    1970s we had one attached to a pole at each island at the old Exxon. Great memories of that place. I was paid to pump gas, but the boss let me do minor repairs for 50% of the labor charges. I was the only station for many miles that would fix a flat or change a belt after 4 PM. Put a lot of money in both our pockets for just a little bit of hustle.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast