Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Handled the new Ruger Max-9 today...

Boolit Master

Handled the new Ruger Max-9 today...

Didn't get pics as I was at the LGS with my girlfriend dropping off a S&W M&P40c on consignment. Gun counter guys thought I should price it at $550. I laughed. Paid $299 for it NIB a couple of years ago. I relented and priced it at $500. If I get $375 I'll be amazed...

But, I saw they had the new Ruger Max-9, which is Ruger's answer to the P365, the Hellcat, and now the Shield Plus (What the heck is Glock waiting for??) with a 10-round capacity micro-nine pistol.

Initial impressions were that it felt great in the hand and was sized very close to the P365. In fact, it is just a bit larger than the P365, a bit narrower, and a bit lighter. Too close to really be of much consequence.

Attachment 281196

Price on it was $429, which is about $100 less than the P365/Hellcat and $80 cheaper than the Shield Plus. At that shop...

Trigger pull was good and about the same as both the P365 and Hellcat, but not as nice as the S&W Shield Plus. But the safety, while not as good as the one on the P365, was much, much better than the useless one on the Shield Plus.

Sight was a front larger dot with fiber optic and tritium with a black rear sight. Every Ruger Max-9 comes optics ready. The Hellcat has that optional, as does S&W. The P365 only has that available in the P365 XL model.

So, good ergonomics, decent trigger, great size, optics ready, usable safety, and cheaper than the competition by $100 or so.

What's not to like?

Well, in typical Ruger fashion, it is just a crude and cheap-feeling pistol with inferior fit and finish. The display model, which had been subjected to the public for just a few hours, was already showing signs of wear with two chips in the bluing, or coating, or whatever crap Ruger used on the slide and optics plate. My girlfriend noticed that. Sales guy swears it hadn't been dropped.

Second, the trigger reset was not tactile and the worst I've seen on a defensive pistol in a while. Third, it needs a tool to take down and you have a loose pin laying around that you better not lose if you have to field strip it, well, in the field.

Fourth, the manual says to avoid using any 9mm +p ammo, and absolutely no +P+ ammo. it says the gun can't take it and will lead to premature wear if using +P ammo. Possible instant destruction for +P+. Not exactly confidence building.

But, I'm sure Ruger will sell dumpster loads of these things due to price and the magic 10-round capacity along with a good trigger and nice sights.

Attachment 281197
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

And not a Ruger hater. I used to work in their Prescott, AZ plant and own 4 of their firearms that I am happy with. I'm just amazed that they can put out such awful semi-automatic handguns with horrible finishes and still sell every one they make.

People like to mock Glock fanboys, but the Ruger fanboys are much more blindingly devoted to sub-par clunky handguns than any Glock enthusiast will ever be.

I would rate the Max-9 at about equal with the Taurus G2c. Both have the same finish and feel with the Taurs having a better safety and the Ruger having a better trigger. If the Taurus was smaller with 10-round capacity, then it would be the main competitor to the Ruger. The Max-9 isn't in the same class as far as quality as the Sig or SA. Sad.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

i shoot my head a while back. Up here people are blinded into thinking rugers are some premium high end brand. I was in the gun shop and was suprised to see two 9mms. A lc9 with one mag for 500 bucks and a shield 9mm with 5 mags and a bag for 480. bought the shield. Talk about a no brainer.

Boolit Buddy
    Bummer, I had high hopes for this one.
    I am by no stretch a "fanboy" of any particular brand, although I think I have more rugers than any other brand. In my mind they seem to make 2 qualities, nice and not so much. I of course like their wheelguns and have a few autoloaders, also an american rifle that I really like. But they seem to make some junkets too, like any of their pistols with the goofy pop up loaded chamber flag, no thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been testing the MAX9 for about 3 months before they came out, they shoot decent in our testing, I don’t know if all of the MAX9s are like this but it looks like our logo moved in the laser engraving machine lolAttachment 281200

Here are some groups at 7 yards with Wilson combat and some “match” grade ammo
    Attachment 281201

Vs my hell cat with the same ammo
    Attachment 281202
    Attachment 281203
    Last edited by WinchesterM1; 04-12-2021 at 06:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I’ve been testing the MAX9 for about 3 months before they came out, they shoot decent in our testing, I don’t know if all of the MAX9s are like this but it looks like our logo moved in the laser engraving machine lolAttachment 281200

Here are some groups at 7 yards with Wilson combat and some “match” grade ammo
    Attachment 281201
    The videos I've seen on actual range tests of the Max-9 show some promise. The last Ruger compact I tested was an EC9S against a Taurus G2C and a SA XDS. The Ruger had the best trigger, but was the least accurate. At 7 yards, off-hand.

Moderator Emeritus

Curious why you are selling the 40c? I have the same one and one in 45c which I love but did the trigger upgrade on that one. For some reason I am just not a fan of the 9mm. I have several different ones, S&W, Beretta, etc. Bought an EZ in 380 which shoots better for me than the same in 9mm. Got a Sig P229 in 357 sig that has become my favorite.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Glad to see it has sights that are dovetailed I HATE the sights milled into the slide like Ruger has done on several models.

It is a sellers market now. Anything that goes bang brings stupid money. I sold a ratty M38 Mosin on consignment and it brought $550. Looks like the manufacturers are taking advantage. Other than the new flattops I buy old Rugers. Ruger has good design but the execution is all too often poor. I guess as long as the public keeps buying manufacturers will ship products that are less than stellar.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Curious why you are selling the 40c? I have the same one and one in 45c which I love but did the trigger upgrade on that one. For some reason I am just not a fan of the 9mm. I have several different ones, S&W, Beretta, etc. Bought an EZ in 380 which shoots better for me than the same in 9mm. Got a Sig P229 in 357 sig that has become my favorite.
    Ron
    It was my back-up for when I carried a S&W M&P40c. Got a great deal on it and have no use for it. Still have my carry M&P and a full-size in the nightstand. Just trying to get rid of extra guns while prices are high. Hoping to move and less guns will be nice.

Banned

People like to mock Glock fanboys, but the Ruger fanboys are much more blindingly devoted to sub-par clunky handguns than any Glock enthusiast will ever be.
    No truer words ----

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I consider Ruger to make two tiers of products. The first tier are the traditional products that have a mostly sterling reputation (10/22, Blackhawk, GP-100, etc.). The second tier are clearly made to a low price point for mass markets; pretty much all the poly frame autoloaders. They can be good values, but definitely not in the same class as the first.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Fourth, the manual says to avoid using any 9mm +p ammo, and absolutely no +P+ ammo. it says the gun can't take it and will lead to premature wear if using +P ammo. Possible instant destruction for +P+. Not exactly confidence building.
    To be fair, Ruger isn’t the only manufacturer to warn that +p ammo will prematurely wear out their firearms and absolutely none of them are going to give the green light for +P+ ammo.