MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Packed Primers

Boolit Grand Master

Vacuum Packed Primers

Has anyone else tried vacuum packing primers long term? I put some S&B in a bag and have a couple of cases of them. Any idea's on whether this will be better than a milar bag and O2 pack?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (2).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	281160
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I would like to know too. Great question!
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    It sounds like a great idea for long term storage, but, given the various posts I've read here about folks having zero issues using 50+ years old primers that were just in their original packaging and stuck up on a shelf somewhere in the house, how much are you gaining? Wouldn't a .50 cal ammo can with a good seal gain you the same moisture protection and at the same time be a bit more convenient?

Boolit Master
    Ultimately what you’re doing is protecting the cardboard packaging. I am currently working through primers from 1976, not a single failure or anything strange. “Carefully” stored on shelves in a closet or in a filing cabinet. Have moved a few times.

I’ve thought about sealing some up for storage in the basement, but they aren’t bothering anything where they are.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems like a waste of time to me. You can buy sealed boxes cheap enough. I store mine in MTM ammo crates. If you really want overkill, put them in ammo crates, and then put those in an old refrigerator. The best storage for primers is inside of loaded ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Vacuum sealing is probably a waste of time....unless you live down in a swamp or the rain forest. Stories of many decades old primers stored in plain cabinets abound on here - - with almost 100% success on fire rate. I sure would not use my food storage vacuum bags for primers. But they are all stored INSIDE in climate-controlled rooms and, I live in the desert SW.

The call is entirely up to you.

banger

Is it better?
    Yes.

However; unless you live in some extremely humid sort of climate, It's a solution for a non-existent problem.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I've picked up primers from a flooded basement - let 'em dry well and sorted 'em out from the ruined boxes (most were still in the trays) and shot 'em . It's my understanding the compounds are installed wet anyway, so as long as they're not underwater long enough for the material to start migrating, and they return to 100% dry, oughta work. But sealing sure can't hurt !

Boolit Grand Master

I was thinking about my hunting camp. -40 in winter and 80 in summer. Humid

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've had .38s go through the washing machine and still work fine.
    However; When in doubt--- paint over the primer with finger nail polish like the military does theirs.

If I was hunting in such temperature extremes-
    I'd be much more concerned about how high and low temps. effect bullet velocity,
    and how it relates to point of aim and point of impact.

Sealing the primers, or not, would be WAY down on my list of priorities.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-11-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I was going to store them for decades, I would vacuum pack them. My concern is rust/tarnishing.

I plan to do that for primers that will be put away for a long time in an unheated outbuilding. You cannot legally store more than 10k in your home in most areas....plus they are dangerous in a fire. At the current value of primers, I will err on the safe side....even if it a waste of time.

I get rolls of vacuum packing for less than $20 so not expensive to do.
    Don Verna

If your primers are vacuum sealed you may be able to get away with storing them in a place that is not temperature or humidity controlled. Still, you might want to check on your primer hoard every once and a while and see if their seals were compromised from time to time if you are storing them in a shed or something.

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like a great idea for a Canoe trip, maybe put a piece of Styrofoam in each one, so they float
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Cast Boolits Owner

It works for food so I see no reason it wouldn’t work for other things including primers as well as powder.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    i had a few hundred winchester primers that came in wooden trays. shot them and they worked fine. all but 1 tray are gone. used the other 2 up about 6 or 8 years ago. anyone that might know their vintage??

What does it hurt? Nothing! Most of us have used primers that are at least 40 years old, stored in various conditions. Pretty comfortable to say none were vacuum sealed. I like the idea from the standpoint of maybe they will be useful in the next century or beyond, you never know where they will end up over time. If we preserve our surplus the best we can, it is only for the better.

Boolit Master

I say, "Go For It!", nothing ventured, nothing gained. Myself, don't see the need, but that's just me.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I had picked some up at a flea market, I think it was 20 bucks 900 mixed, Some 308 projectiles 180 grain soft points and a tool box.
    So far everything has popped. Something like 700 sm pistol, Lg rifle etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Sounds like a good place to have supplies for TEOTWAWKI. I can't imagine a need for loading centerfire hunting ammo in a camp otherwise, but I confess that I'm not a hunter, so please correct any misconceptions on my part.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Sounds like a good place to have supplies for TEOTWAWKI. I can't imagine a need for loading centerfire hunting ammo in a camp otherwise, but I confess that I'm not a hunter, so please correct any misconceptions on my part.
    I reload at camp to target shoot there. We are there off and on year round not just for hunting. I keep a full reloading set-up there. Press, dies, bullets, powder and primers for all calibers I own to save hauling things back and forth. Keep clothes, food, fishing gear, etc. Everything I might need so I can jump in the truck and just show up
    Last edited by jonp; 04-12-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast