Thread: squib load

Boolit Grand Master
    Trapping coyotes
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Trapping coyotes
    Actually coyotes are not generally shot in a trap at all. Typically standing on their chest behind the shoulder is how they're dispatched.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Well I am not going to do that
    call me a chicken but being the coyote
    is going to be in a bad mood I won't get anywhere near those teeth
    but if you want to show me how I will watch you
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Well I am not going to do that
    call me a chicken but being the coyote
    is going to be in a bad mood I won't get anywhere near those teeth
    but if you want to show me how I will watch you
    Anytime!

Boolit Grand Master
    more like a bs artist
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Actually coyotes are not generally shot in a trap at all. Typically standing on their chest behind the shoulder is how they're dispatched.

I have not seen or heard of that at all.

I do know that a straight WW boolit HP 243 1/16 x 3/8"deep has MAJOR explosive power with very little penetration at 1700.
    People on this site want to get by cheap and more self sufficiently, on they're own, as me.

I would gladly take a load/boolit combo I made compared to ANY store bought thing.

Considering the cost of .22lr nowadays there are several options for both pistol and rifle that you could load cheaper assuming you had the components and were willing to spend them.

As to your load, I have not played with .222. However I have had very good luck with 3 grains of Red Dot in a .223 Rem under a 55 gr bullet. I suspect your load would work fine. You could probably go anywhere between 3 and 6 grains and get suitable performance.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I have had good results loading the 225462 bullet, over 4.5 gr. of Red Dot in my 222, it works well on ground squirrels and is accurate out to 50 yards. I also have some small game squib loads for the 9mm, a 95 gr. bullet over 2 gr. of 700X, the cases stay in the gun and that load works well on small game.

Boolit Master
    I also trap the yotes. I have seen some paws slip out with a last minute lunge of fear. Also had some lunge toward me. I don't care to see both happening at the same time. I would use a little stoutness & distance when dispatching ( I'm chicken & older). I usually use Lee 30 cal soup can at about 1100 fps. & a little distance.

I trap coyotes , beaver , red fox and coon and otter, mink and rats and possum and skunk . The only ones I do not shoot with a 22lr is mink and rats I dispatch a different way , the rest is shot I did see a video of what is stated to stand on the chest of the coyote. But the ones done it with a red fox. Like stated for how a coyote is . I take no chance with try to stand on them. I shoot them in the head ,beside the fur buy allow 2 to 3 holes of 22 cal holes in the pelt , If I need more 22lr and going to be short on them, I would use my 327 mag with 32 S&W . if need to . Since I reload for that already . Also cast.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot this load the other day
    while pleasant to shoot it was a bit loud
    and I think it may be a bit more power than
    needed for the task,downloading even more ,
    like some of you suggested may be the ticket
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I shoot cast bullets 55 and 60 grains all the time with a .223 single shot using 2.7 grains of Red dot or Bullseye.
    No gas check needed.
    They are quiet and the lead bullets expand on everything shot with them.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You guys are all over-thinking this. About 3.5 grains of ANY fast-burning pistol or shotgun powder you can sweep up off the floor, with any 45-55 grain bullet, either cast or jacketed, in any .223/5.56 barrel of any twist from 7 inches to 14 inches, will exit the barrel and kill small game or trapped animals at 50 feet to 25 yards. This is not rocket science.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Man

Hey Trapper9260,

You sound like a trapper of very wide experience, and I'm wondering if you can shed any light on how to shoot a trapped skunk and prevent the release of his joyful essence in his death throes?

Personally, I want nothing to do with a self-fouled skunk, and I've never shot one that didn't spray as he croaked. To me, it's a wasted pelt.

My granddad solved the problem to his satisfaction with a little chloroform or either applied to a wad of cotton wrapped about a short stick which was then wedged into the bottom of a tin can.

Gramps was a man of somewhat stouter stuff than his grandson, and the proof of that was how he would gently, and oh-so-carefully, tug on the trap chain until the skunk's nose became visible in the den-hole.

He'd then -- again very slowly and carefully -- slip the can over the critter's nose so that it had no choice but to breath the death vapors. When things went well, he would within a few minutes pull a limp, dead and unfouled animal from its' hole. Of course this method only worked when a skunk was trapped at the entrance to it's den, and only if the leg-hold trap was attached to a front foot.

When a skunk was caught by a hind foot, Gramps would ask for volunteers but seldom found any. As a last resort, such animals were mercifully shot, and the stinky traps were left with the skunks to be gingerly retrieved the next spring.

I was also acquainted with a city cop, another trapper, who arrived for roll-call one day with a bulbous white bandage covering his nose. His tale of woe involved a big buck mink, still alive in a leg-hold trap set too far from water to simply drown the old boy.

Wanting to maintain absolutely perfect pelts to present to the fur-buyer, he said he never shot such valuable animals. I instead he'd don a trapper's gauntlet to provide at least some minimal protection to his digits, then grab the mink across its' back at the ribcage, and squeeze. In snake-constrictor fashion, the animal was dead in a few minutes, and the pelt undamaged.

At least, he said, that's the way it usually worked.

This time, he apparently let the animal get too close to his torso, and the ferocious "weasel" latched its claws onto his jacket front and used the leverage to leap upward toward his face. The little drama ended when the mink -- still attached to and gnawing at cop-trapper's nose -- eventually succumbed to the death squeeze on its' ribs.

To this day, I look upon the incident as testimony to the sheer guts and determination of both man and prey.

So, my advice, is to use your "gallery loads" on everything that can't be drowned -- except skunks. Unless you have a better idea.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --
    Last edited by Cary Gunn; 04-30-2021 at 02:41 PM. Reason: word left out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12