MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 22 Hornet Squirrel Loads

Boolit Mold

22 Hornet Squirrel Loads

Just put together a 22 Hornet on an Encore frame with a MGM barrel to shoot squirrels. It all started at the end of season here in Michigan when the availability of .22LR ammo was nil to none and the price skyrocketed. We have squirrels dogs so our shots are relatively close within 40yrds. The discipline has been to only do head shots…they are tasty little jaspers. After reading a couple posts on downloading the Hornet, the race was on. The other requirement was using cast bullets. My friend Trucker is the “Cast Master” and I’m the shooter (average at best) so he started casting the little devils in a variety of available molds (RCBS, LYMAN, NOE and LEE} in .225 caliber. Seeing we have an abundance of Red Dot it’s our choice of powder. After loading a vast variety of bullets and powder charges, we settled on 48gr. Lee Bator’s with 1.8 grains of Red Dot. This combo has been the best at close to 5/8” groups and average 1180 fps. We are looking to get a Lyman 225438 but it has been eluding us like a squirrel in a pine tree. If you have an abundance of squirrels or 225438 bullets/molds let me know.

Banned

Exactly the reason I first got a .22 Hornet. I have two squirrel loads, first is a NOE 45 grain WFN design I got in all plain base and I shoot it with two grains of Bullseye. At realistic woods ranges works great and kills at least as well as a .22 LR hollow point for me. The second is the Lee Bator that Midsouth used to sell, short, fat bullet which works well in the slow twists. Cast soft, gas checked and in front of six grains of 2400, I shoot the NOE in a Savage 219 and the Bator in a Stevens 322 since the NOE won't feed in the bolt action. I love to squirrel hunt and prefer a downloaded centerfire for it. Attachment 281141Attachment 281142Attachment 281143

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    check your private messages.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

I recently started powdercoating the NOE 225107 plain based flat point at 37 grains. As long as it isn't too windy, groups out of my CZ527 Hornet are less than an inch at 100 yards. Load is 5 grains of Herco with a CCI small pistol primer. Might be a little hot for squirrels at 2150 fps, but would still suffice for headshots. The main reason I developed this load is for groundhogs on the small farms I hunt. Haven't had a chance to nail one yet, but I shot a crow with it the other day. A center chest hit a 45 yards dropped it like a stone.
    Last edited by ElCheapo; 04-13-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Those are some whooper fox squirrels. Looks like you have them 2 rifles dialed in, it sure is fun working up these loads and having something more than paper to see the results of your work. The CB's are excellent for squirrels they go right through without much damage. I did load up some 40 gr. Hornaday VMax with 2.4 grs. of Red Dot and they are rather devastating if you miss head and hit the body.

Thumbilly

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ElCheapo View Post
    I recently started powdercoating the NOE 225107 plain based flat point at 37 grains. As long as it isn't too windy, groups out of my CZ5527 Hornet are less than an inch at 100 yards. Load is 5 grains of Herco with a CCI small pistol primer. Might be a little hot for squirrels at 2150 fps, but would still suffice for headshots. The main reason I developed this load is for groundhogs on the small farms I hunt. Haven't had a chance to nail one yet, but I shot a crow with it the other day. A center chest hit a 45 yards dropped it like a stone.
    Hey ElCheapo what color are you using, Trucker makes our Bator's black they look like a Black Bean sticking out of the hornet case. You have an excellent rifle to dispatch those whistlepigs and the NOE 225107 will put a hole in them digging devils.

Thumbilly

Boolit Grand Master

This load was developed for a shooting buddy's TC Contender Handgun
    Lyman #225415 , 55 grain FP , 3.0 grs. Red Dot @ approx. 1350 fps .
    Pleasant shooting and accurate enough to take large rats at the old city dump ...
    Once my friend shot a funny looking "rat" , so we checked him out ... a small ground squirrel with stripes !!! Looked like Chip and Dale type of squirrel ... chipmunk ??? We had never seen one before then and you still don't see many in Louisiana !

I have recently learned there are 15 different species of chipmunks that live in Louisiana ...but I have no idea where they hide them all, except for that one at the dump 45 years ago I have yet to see another .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    We have chipmunks here in lower Alabama, but not too many. They spend more time on the ground than in trees so they're easy prey for cats and hawks. They are a burrowing critter, and living a few feet underground isn't always a good thing in a wet climate with mostly clay soils like we have here. I'm betting the squirrels in Louisiana have an even tougher time of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbilly View Post
    Hey ElCheapo what color are you using, Trucker makes our Bator's black they look like a Black Bean sticking out of the hornet case. You have an excellent rifle to dispatch those whistlepigs and the NOE 225107 will put a hole in them digging devils.

Thumbilly
    I'm using smoke 4320's clear and John Deere green, along with some Harbor Freight white and black. Black, green and clear looks like camo after cooking. White, green and clear looks like a lighter green. Both shoot good in the CZ527. I've taken lots of groundhogs with the CZ and j-word bullets. Hope to nail some with Pc'd lead!

Shot the 22 mag load into water jugs at 25 yards. Bullet penetrated into the 3rd jug and expanded to .348 diameter.