Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS vs. Redding dies

Banned

RCBS vs. Redding dies

I've used every manufacturer's dies at one time or another, but more RCBS than any others. I do have a couple of Reddings and they seem just as good, though I've never done any systematic comparisons. Has anybody here really done a serious comparison? I know both are top quality, but the Reddings cost more.

Reason for the question, I stopped by a little brick and mortar shop I hadn't been in for a while and walked out with two brand new (near as I can tell) Redding sets in two oddball calibers I load for and already have RCBS dies for. The price was just too good to pass on, cheapy Lee ones in common calibers are going for more than these did.

Just wondering if this is an upgrade, or all I did was just gain spares.

Boolit Master
    I know there is a lot of animosity towards Redding by some, but personally I prefer them. I have Redding for my "serious" cartridges that I reload for (hunting and precision rifles) and even for the plinkers. I would have all Redding if I could ever justify the cost difference. They just feel good and feel like a better quality of workmanship.
    Ymmv

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banned

I've only ever used Redding dies in 6.5 Creedmoore and got a set when I started loading for my .30-06 cast bullet target rifle because the set has a neck sized only die. There's no doubt they are very good dies, but I got both sets used and wasn't particularly brand particular. Niether of the calibers today do I expect real precision out of (.351 WSL and .22 Savage High Power), so may not be able to tell any real difference.

Boolit Master
    When I first started reloading many years ago I mostly bought RCBS from a local gun shop. But within the last 5 years or so when new dies sets were needed went with the Redding deluxe die sets which are full length sizer, neck sizer and seater. And when I bought my Swiss K-31 Redding dies were recomended for the K-31. So far have been satisfied with Redding dies. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have systematic comparisons but when you look at the equipment list for the various precision rifle competitors Redding is by far the preferred die manufacture for factory dies. I use Redding S neck bushing dies for 95% of my competition loading. Same for most of the serious competitors I know.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Either one can load ammo that is more accurate that most shooters, including myself.
    I've used their .300WshortMag. set and they're great. Most of my others are RCBS or Hornady, and they do a great job too.
    I've seen that most serious competitors use the fancy sets of Reddings, probably for good reason.

In high level competition, when the distance between 1st and 2nd place is so small:
    Like when 1st & 2nd place at the Indy 500 is 1/2 a car length--- ya need any little extra bit of an edge you can get.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I like the Redding S neck bushing dies for rifle loading, also have no problem with RCBS, I have started using Hornady for pistol loading on my Dillon 550 ( I fell out of love with Dillon dies a few years ago), I have some Forster bench rest dies which are good. Lee, Lyman I have some but would never buy again.

Boolit Master
    I have used all brands. Redding has an excellent reputation that is deserved.

Boolit Master

I have several Redding sets, including a form set for 33 Winchester. Excellent quality.

No company makes die sets that are what I want. Example, the 45-70. A Redding or RCBS sizer works, with a Lyman M die neck expander, usually by Buffalo Arms. Then a Hornady sliding sleeve seater. Finally, a Redding profile crimp or Lee rifle type factory crimp die.

It's cumbersome and somewhat costly to assemble sets like this, but they work so well, I've done it for nearly all my calibers. For straight case handgun rounds, I collect carbide sizers, which vary some in diameter. I made a chart of the resulting inside casemouth diameters from each sizer, so I can pick the one that matches bullet diameter. For an old round like the 45 Colt, well fitting bullets can run from 0.451 to 0.456, depending on the application. I like to avoid oversizing cases.

A point I've made before is that the Lee pistol factory crimp die has a place here, in that the bottom sizer ring usually runs larger than many sizer die diameters. So, it can be useful in case sizing for fat slugs.
    Last edited by Nueces; 04-11-2021 at 04:43 PM.

I have both RCBS and Redding dies. Bought the RCBS first and they work just fine, a few years later I bought the Reddings and they just seem more solidly and finely built. I will never know if the Reddings are worth the extra cash but I bought them and would do it again.

Would buy them first time around.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a great variety of loading dies ranging in quality from Lee to Redding. Most die sets work fine, but some are better than others. Some have features I like (Lyman's M die for one) some I don't like (Lee's powder through expander).

I tend to go with RCBS for most two die rifle sets, they work for me. Lee RGB two die sets do the same work.

Redding dies seem to be a step up in quality from RCBS, but I can't really prove it. I do like the Redding profile crimp die for .38 Special wadcutters.

What I buy tends to depend on my personal experience and the amount of spare cash I have on hand when I find something.

Robert

I have RCBS & Redding dies along with Lyman & Hornady. Every rifle die set regardless of brand has a Redding neck die inside the box. I used the Redding bushing dies in my tight neck guns & their bushings in my Wilson dies back in my rifle shooting days. They make good stuff: however, I had problems with their 7X57 & 38 spec . set & their CS folks were not very helpful. I think their stuff is so good that they can't believe something if not right with a particular product.

Boolit Master
    all Redding equipment is made in USA. not so with rcbs. that alone is why i will never buy rcbs again.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several sets of each and both work well. It seems like it takes less effort to FL size brass with the Redding but I have no way to measure the required force.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a set of Redding in 45-70 and a near new set of RCBS .
    I've sized and seated with both , I didn't get an expander with the pre owned Redding set . I added a Lee through powder expander before I got the RCBS set .

SxS sizing , the brass working is about the same to my chamber . Die/brass contact happens about the same place . The Redding makes a much more decided line on the neck and a slightly longer grip area . The RCBS is a more fluid line and honestly better suited to my personal needs . The Redding is a little smoother maybe .

Seating .......well it's pretty hard to mess this up unless and the depth spuds are identical in form and function . The Redding has 2 to accommodate Marlin and everyone else OAL both RN . I think I could sub in an FP or SWC from one of the Colts in the RCBS . The crimp step is more fluid feeling in the Redding being squeeze to stop vs the bump squeeze in the RCBS .

Neither set has a pointy or FP seating stem readily available pointy isn't a big deal I drive an 1895 but it would be if I drove a 1873 , Sharps , RB , or Falling Block type .

CS .... I FB messenger'd RCBS about the vintage and type of die with a coned collar an slick sided decapping pin . The response was to send me the parts set , rod , bushing expander ball , lock nut , and 5 extra decapping pins to update the die to current production parts .
    Redding was sent an Email about the short seating spud with a request to purchase a longer one preferably with a flat point . I received a well written reply that detailed the 2 RN stems and for the price of a mailing address I would receive correct for my needs stem . I did and it was accompanied by a set of instructions but no lock nut .

Final conclusion ?
    For a standard set they are nice but I don't think they are 50% more nice .
    SxS $5 bucks more than RCBS , let alone at Lee prices , I'd take them in a minute , I don't know that they would be an immediate replacement .

Like others I have and use CH , Forster , Herters , Lee , Lyman , Pacific , and RCBS die set also . I buy Lee if others aren't available and RCBS is usually first in line , I don't have any Hornady anything except an 008 Pacific press in Hornady red the came in a Hornady by Pacific box circa 1972 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I've used them all and determined that, from a functional point of view, our dies fall into two classes, first class and second class. Redding and Forster are tied for first place, everything else is tied for second place. And the average "on target" difference between first and second place is usually much less than many seem to presume.

Fact is, accuracy can't be bought in a properly labeled or expensive box; nothing is automatic. The biggest effective difference between mass produced dies is not in the brand but in how well they are used. From what I read on the web it seems few people really understand dies or how to best use them or how to judge which individual dies of any brand are functioning somewhat "better" than others. Or why. All IMHO, of course.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    I have used all brands. Redding has an excellent reputation that is deserved.
    /\ I'll second this /\

There's no real rocket science involved in reloading dies and I have used just about every brand. I can't say Redding dies produce better ammunition but I can say I've never had a problem with Redding dies. They seem to have excellent manufacturing tolerances and the materials are top notch.
    Because I see dies as a "one time, lifetime" purchase, I'm willing to put a little more money out for dies. If I can't get the Redding dies I want or it is for some oddball cartridge I rarely load, RCBS is my next choice.

I use Redding titanium carbide dies on my progressive press when loading pistol ammo and they work flawlessly. Again, can't say they are better but I can say I've never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    all Redding equipment is made in USA. not so with rcbs. that alone is why i will never buy rcbs again.
    RCBS tells me that only their electronics are made overseas, simply because they couldn't find domestic suppliers for what they needed. All their steel tools are made in the USA.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

My preference is Dillon as I have the 550, then Redding, RCBS, then others.

I have dies from every domestic manufacturer, and some who have long since gone out of business. The only carbide sizing rings I've ever had pull out of the die is two Redding dies, one in 10mm and one in .38 Spl./.357 Mag. Redding replaced both dies, but I've never had a carbide sizing ring pull out from any of the others (RCBS, Dillon, Lee or Lyman). I do have a .45 Colt carbide sizing die from Dillon that's over sized, but I use it for other purposes, so I keep it. I also have a Lyman carbide sizing die in .38 Spl./.357 Mag. that has given me good service since I purchased it in 1969. It's probably had close to half a million .38 cases run through it, and it will still be going after I'm long gone.

Redding does a much better exterior finish on their dies, but that's part of what you're paying for when you buy them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast