Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS vs. Redding dies

Boolit Master
    Why is there animosity towards Redding? I have a set in 270 win and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Why is there animosity towards Redding? I have a set in 270 win and love them.
    No animosity:just a realization that they're not perfect. A realization their CS people have not arrived at yet. You can see from my prior post (#12) that I have several of their dies. In addition my single stage press is a Redding. My powder measure & beam scale are '60 era Redding (with the brown wrinkle finish paint).

I have their Competition Pro Series .38 spec./.357 die set that has made the trip from Georgia to NY two times to correct (at my expense). That set now utilizes a '60s era Lyman crimp die & I would jump at an opportunity to trade for a Dillon set. I have a 7X57 die set that also required two trips to correct (also at my expense).

As stated: their stuff is good. They just have a difficult time admitting that they goof-up occasionally.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-02-11-18-16_kindlephoto-44707503.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	281228

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-02-11-18-16.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	281229

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-02-11-18-21_kindlephoto-44754793.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	281230

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-02-11-18-21.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	281231

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-02-11-18-16_kindlephoto-44707503.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	281228

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-02-11-18-16.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	281229

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-02-11-18-21_kindlephoto-44754793.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	281230

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-02-11-18-21.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	281231
    That is the funniest thing I've seen on the web today. Reality is for most application most dies are satisfactory. When you get into the higher precision rifle demands Lee is conspicuously absent for the equipment lists of the winners. I wonder why?????????????
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I will say that the only mislabeled shell holders I have ever bought were Redding. I can't remember if I wanted one for the 7.62x54R and it ended up being for .45 Colt or if it was the other way around. Bought at a gun show, may have been seconds.

Conversely, the only shell holders I have ever broken were Lee, for the .43 Spanish (two or three of them). Fixed that by finding one from RCBS.

Robert

Boolit Master
    a friend looked at a rcbs balance scale; it was made in CHINA

I use both RCBS and Redding. For precision work in my rifles I prefer Redding, but wouldn't hesitate using RCBS. Experience has Redding with the finer finish, but RCBS is a close second.

Boolit Grand Master

For precision ammunition runout and consistency is the only criteria of importance. External finish means zero.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

A guy can't go wrong with anything RCBS, and had these dies been RCBS, I'd have bought them just as quick. Any .351 WSL dies you find are gonna be expensive, and .22 High Power isn't real easy to find.

I'll most likely try loading some ammo with both and see which I prefer and sell the other set.

Boolit Master
    To be completely frank - most wouldn't know precision if it came out and bit them.
    My boys all shoot precision rifle and I would bet dollars to doughnuts my 12 year old can outshoot 98% of folks.
    (BTW - he shoots a 243 Win - reloaded with Lee dies). I know I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth, I enjoy Redding, but truly have no problems with any of them!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That is the funniest thing I've seen on the web today. Reality is for most application most dies are satisfactory. When you get into the higher precision rifle demands Lee is conspicuously absent for the equipment lists of the winners. I wonder why?????????????
    I do know several of the 1000 yard guys using the collet neck sizer along with the Redding body die myself included. Now lee has chosen to shorten the collet which is not conducive to precision loading but most of their users will never even notice the difference. The instructions packaged with the collet die are not correct which makes me wonder if they fully understand the die. I would sure like to see Redding come out with a two die set, a collet neck sizer and body die.

Boolit Master

I use RCBS for most of my rifle dies. Hornady and RCBS for pistols. Redding neck sizing die and competition seating die for my 6mm BRX. If I need to full length size the BRX I use a RCBS .308 size die. I don't find a lot of difference in any of the dies I have.

I have used quite a few RCBS and Redding dies. They are both top quality makers. I can't say one is better than the other. That, said I will go with RCBS dies because of their customer service
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    I do know several of the 1000 yard guys using the collet neck sizer along with the Redding body die myself included. Now lee has chosen to shorten the collet which is not conducive to precision loading but most of their users will never even notice the difference. The instructions packaged with the collet die are not correct which makes me wonder if they fully understand the die. I would sure like to see Redding come out with a two die set, a collet neck sizer and body die.
    The Lee Collet Neck sizers are fairly common with the long Range shooters. So are QC problems and wear issues. Had to send one back when new due to QC issues. After I received a couple of good ones they both started to have issues at around 5,000 or 6,000 round mark. They now live in my ever growing junk pile of stuff that didn't work as hoped. Like most Lee stuff great ideas but short on quality.

In the end the Redding S Neck Bushing dies have given me zero issues. The Lee Collet Neck Dies not so much.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ee-collet-die/

http://www.benchrest.com/showthread....Die-Adjustment
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-13-2021 at 02:07 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Redding standard seater dies are better than rcbs standard seaters to me as I like a drop of high vis fingernail polish to see adjustments. I do prefer rcbs shell holders to all others.

Boolit Bub
    Also, RCBS other items are not as well made today as they were in earlier years. I have a hand primer from the 1990 and it is better built than today’s current version, but this seems to be true with everything

Both RCBS and Redding are quality tools but the additional cost of Redding is not warranted for most of my minute of deer reloading.

Boolit Master

RCBS vs. Redding dies

rich, you will find out, when you load and test rounds with each brand die, in a side by side comparison. Either company can let a sub par die set get out of the factory. I have returned three sets of dies that were unsatisfactory in the last 60+ years that I have been hand loading. One from Herter's, one from Redding and one from Forster. Redding replaced the set, no questions asked. Forster asked for samples of my sized brass and the die to evaluate. Forster then evaluated the die, agreed with me and sent a new die, with my brass that they had sized with the new die. Herters...didn't want them back or a replacement as they were so crudely made.

Bottom line, use both and compare the resulting dimensions and concentricity to see if you upgraded.

And let us know what you find out, please
    Last edited by AZ Pete; 04-15-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    Most of GONRA's reloading projects involve an eclectic mix of
    RCBS, Hornady, CH or CH4D, Lee, Hollywood, Lyman-Ideal, GONRA, etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    Most of GONRA's reloading projects involve an eclectic mix of
    RCBS, Hornady, CH or CH4D, Lee, Hollywood, Lyman-Ideal, GONRA, etc.
    This is me as well, but no doubt I have more RCBS than most.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12