WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Powder Coating and Ventilation

Boolit Bub

Powder Coating and Ventilation

I really watch my ventilation (stay outside) for casting, but for powdercoating with the shake-n-bake method do I have to worry about ventilation? I live in high humidity, and would be doing 20 or so at a time, so it would be much easier to do them in my basement workshop. Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    In sure we'd be safer if we powder coated in a positive pressure hazmat suit. I shake and bake standing in the garage, no fan and no mask. I don't huff the dust or lick the container, and I think I'm doing pretty good. Like so many things, there's a small element of risk. A bigger risk to me would be the wife's retribution if the lid came off and me slinging PC powder all over the place. That could easily be fatal.

Boolit Buddy

Powder Coating and Ventilation

I cast with a ventilation hood in the garage. Toaster is in same garage with no ventilation. After I start the cooking process I evacuate the area for the 20min that’s needed. Smells like burning plastic in there. I do keep the fan running all day (exterior vent) and that helps dissipate the smell.

Boolit Bub
    I'm new to all this bullet casting. When I PC, I usually keep my garage door partially or fully open just because I hate to feel confined.

Heck, I couldn't even enjoy a meal in a restaurant with no a/c or air flow.

In the basement it should be okay. But personally it may be helpful to have some sort of DIY ventilation just for health and comfort reasons.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I wasn’t aware of the fumes from baking were harmful. I am always careful not to breathe in the powder.

Boolit Master
    I bake in a closed garage (it does have ceiling vents). I don't usually stay in there the whole time and I only bake one or two batches at a time. I have noticed some outgassing at the beginning of the bake but I don't know what it is. Slight smell like burning plastic.

If in a basement or other such area I would vent it somehow. A fan in the window or something.

To me and especially for my wife the smell is enough that I don’t bake in the garage. I stick the oven just outside the garage door and bake them outside with the door closed.

I have a vent fan over my casting pot.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Question. Do all powders smell the same during baking?

Boolit Master
    I am relatively new to powder coating. So far, all of my baking has been done inside an air conditioned 20X20 room. I haven't noticed much odor at all.

Boolit Bub
    Smokes clear has no smell when baking

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WardT View Post
    Smokes clear has no smell when baking
    The powder I'm using is from "Smoke". Dark blue.

Boolit Master

Be sensable with it its a chemical!!

Garage with door open aughta be fine.

DONT BREATHE DUST! Mask recommended as all who have done know... Opening container sends a flume up into your face!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

aside from initial cooking of silicone baking sheets, I really haven't noticed any strong odors. I cast n PC in my unconditioned garage and do not get overly concerned about all the ventilation concerns. But then I have strong recollections of the pleasant smell of asbestos siding being cut by my dad with a skill saw some 50 or 60 years ago and am patiently waiting for the onset of some incurable illness.

I think as a whole, our society has been bombarded with this and that ridiculous study or the clever manipulations of the litigation types. In reality only those in an occupation which routinely and daily exposed them to this or that have ever developed black lung, asbestosis, and so on and on to adnausium.

If it irritates you, do something different, otherwise life is too short to be afraid of living.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I've read on no Manuf. warnings for cooking but fumes from 'recycling' are NOT good. I turn on the hot plate and usually am someplace else for cooking or the garage door open. If the smell irritates you, use ventilation.
    1961 I got trained to put out an oil fire in a closed building with no PG. Coughed up and blew black junk from my nose for a week. Still alive and well.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Be sensable with it its a chemical!!

Garage with door open aughta be fine.

DONT BREATHE DUST! Mask recommended as all who have done know... Opening container sends a flume up into your face!!

CW
    this↑↑↑↑↑▲▲

Boolit Buddy
    In my earlier life I refinished cars and taught it at a college. We used all of the PPE available and I still had a reaction, nearly deadly, to a new paint we switched to. Moral of the story is you should take all precautions possible/practical but you can't eliminate all hazards.

As for powder coat, for me the dust from the powder could be a culprit. When you open the container it is in the air and as you shake it off or tap the bullet it goes in the air and ultimately up your nose. I have a portable air filtration unit that I set on my bench and do my work in front of it. The dust is pulled right into it.

I am actually less concerned about when it is baking as I don't think there is a chemical gas off such as occurs with automotive paint.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 04-13-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Boolit Master

I cast and PC on an open patio. When nobody is home but me. Wear an N95 when PC'ing.
    Safety glasses for both.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Great info—thanks! Even though casting is done outside, what type of mask/respirator do you use?

Boolit Master

Your basically looking to keep from inhaling the airborne powders. So any dust style
    Mask should work just fine.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw