Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 1950

Boolit Master

S&W Model 1950

After decades of looking, I finally found a shooter grade Model 1950, 45 ACP revolver.

I plan to use the Saeco 453, 240 grain wadcutter boolit in this revolver. Looking to get 850-900 fps frm it.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A17422E2-8368-458B-8F9F-10A3D3FD7504.jpg   3292214D-17B1-4695-9AB9-2B37ACA4046F.jpg  
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

It's a very classy big bore Smith. Mine has a small patch of pitting between two cylinder flutes, which is why I got it for $225 at the big Houston gun show back around 1980. I think you can reach your velocity goal easily.

Boolit Master
    Always liked that one more than the 1955...have passed on a few of them that I should not have...

Beautiful gun...have a great time with it...

The SAECO 453 does show to be a 225 grain bullet however...

I really like the 240 Keith in my .45 ARs...Lyman 452423
    http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Always liked that one more than the 1955...have passed on a few of them that I should not have...

Beautiful gun...have a great time with it...

The SAECO 453 does show to be a 225 grain bullet however...

I really like the 240 Keith in my .45 ARs...Lyman 452423
    http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

Bob
    Sorry, fat finger and a small keyboard. I meant to type 230 grain full wadcutter bullet.

I also have a GB 452423 that casts 240 grain Keith SWC boolits. I will try those also but really like the full WC.

Kevin

They are great old guns. One thing be sure to check the cylinder size. I had a 1955 that was beautiful but never shot very well. Cylinder mouths were .456-.457. Traded it for a Model of 1989 with smaller cylinder mouths that shoots like it has eyeballs.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

My first big bore Smith was also a 1955 with yawning large throats. I got good performance by using the Lyman Thompson 452490GC, sized at least 0.453 over as much as 7/Unique. I think the gas check got the bullet base past the throats with no base erosion.

By good performance, I mean I could off hand hit rocks across the ranch pond (75 to 125 yards). Never put it on paper.

Boolit Master

Most of us have in the past sold/traded a handgun or more that we feel like kicking ourselves about. One I my worst moments was in the early 1980's when I let a friend talk me out of a 1950 4" in .45 ACP. It had a super slick action on it and handled like a dream. Very accurate too. I only paid $150.00 dollars for it and shot it for 2 years in competition(combat handgun competition). My friend kept after me match after match wanting to buy it and I finally gave in and sold it to him for the same price I had paid for it. It went into his collection and I doubt if it has been shot since. I have had several .45 ACP revolver shince that one but none really came up to that one in feel and shooting abilities. I liked the old S&W long action. aw memories of the ones I let get away, james

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    S&W also made a fixed sight version called the Model of 1950 Military. These externally resembled the old M1917 revolver, but were produced in commercial finish, having the postwar hammer block and short action with the S- serial number prefix. Mine was part of an order produced for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and came from the estate of the former US Postmaster of Middleburg, Virginia. Grip are not the originals.

Attachment 281158Attachment 281159
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I always wanted a 1950 Target, I managed a Military fixed sight model. Gave up and started with 1955 Target models. I have 3 of them presently. I’m one that hates Moons so I load AR brass for them all. I don’t size bullets and tumble lube. Used different powders at approx. 700fps.
    I’ve not standardized a bullet yet. The Lyman 242gr WC shoots well, it’s been my standard for my m 25-5s / 45 Colt. Would like to use one bullet for acp revolvers / ar brass and Colt 1911s.

Boolit Master

I need to add my " The one that got away" Tale that haunts me still. 1981 Bullhead City AZ the local TG&Y was closing its doors, yes they had a small guns and ammo section. Never went in there myself until that day. There in the cleaned out glass display case was the 150 Target lying in its red velvet lined wooden case with cleaning rod and a pile of moon clips. Price 200.00. WHY I did not give the gal a 10 dollar deposit haunts me still. I told her to hold it I would be right back. No ATM card or Credit Card in those days. Ran out the door to my Bank on the corner and came right back in about 15 minutes flat. It was gone. Dude that watched my interaction with sales clerk convinced her ( with 200.00 ) he should be allowed to buy the gun. That still chaps my hide!

Boolit Master

My chopped and re-blued example has a 5" barrel and the chambers will pass a .452 jacketed bullet but a supposed .452 cast SWC gives a solid no go just after the nose of the bullet begins to emerge from the front of the cylinder on all 6. I figure this means I probably have .4525 to .453 to work with on all. I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guns.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	281171
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    My chopped and re-blued example has a 5" barrel and the chambers will pass a .452 jacketed bullet but a supposed .452 cast SWC gives a solid no go just after the nose of the bullet begins to emerge from the front of the cylinder on all 6. I figure this means I probably have .4525 to .453 to work with on all. I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guns.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	281171
    A revolver man of taste and refinement, also evidenced by the bronze T Grip. I have before described the 4" 44 Special 1950 Target I had made by the old MMC outfit in Deming, NM. Original factory barrel, with checkered top strap, on a 5 screw M27 , rechambered. I now have the bits to make a 45 like yours.

First to arrive, years ago, was a 5 screw M27 that had been crudely shortened. Next, I found a factory 6 1/2" 45 barrel. The barrel will be cut to 5" and top checkered to match the frame top strap. Since M27 cylinders are too short to accept many 45 Colt loads, I think a big Smith in 45 S&W (Schofield) would be an appropriate and useful upgrade from the 45 AR.

Can't say I'll get it done any time soon, as I don't have a gunsmith in mind with the talent and dedication of the MMC crew. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know any.

Boolit Master

We all have our little bits and pieces to build that next dream gun. I haven;t had many done and I'm 69 but I have about 3 bushels of carefully gathered and hoarded parts....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    We all have our little bits and pieces to build that next dream gun. I haven;t had many done and I'm 69 but I have about 3 bushels of carefully gathered and hoarded parts....
    I used to watch "American Pickers". My favorite episode was when Grandpa, about 90 years old and in a wheelchair, is rolled out. The Pickers show him something they had dug out of the depths of his collapsing barn and ask if it is for sale. The old man looks at it, then moans, "No, no, I have plans for that."
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Often, the funnin' is in the wantin' and plannin'.

Boolit Grand Master
    Knowing that none of the N frames I've had or shot really suited me, I still want another.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Knowing that none of the N frames I've had or shot really suited me, I still want another.

Robert
    Me too. The N Frame S&W's are just a hair too big for me. But If I ever Find another 3 1/2" 27 At a reasonable price, I hope I don't break my arm reaching for my wallet.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    ...S&W also made a fixed sight version called the Model of 1950 Military. These externally resembled the old M1917 revolver, but were produced in commercial finish, having the postwar hammer block and short action with the S- serial number prefix...
    Yes, the Model 1950 Army was introduced at the same time as the Model 1950 Target. The Model 1950 Target was produced until 1961 and about 2768 revolvers were produced. The Model 1950 Army (the Model 1950 Military was chambered for the 44 Smith & Wesson Special.) was produced until 1966 and roughly 1000 more were produced than the Target Model.

Kevin

Boolit Master

that is a beauty!
    well done
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    According to my factory letter about 5000 Model 1950 Military models were produced in .45 ACP/Auto Rimmed, all contract orders to the US Postal Service.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast