Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W Model 1950

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Outpost; Catshooter: When using .456 bullets, do you size the cases, or leave them unsized?
    Most .45 Colt chambers are sloppy, so that at least partial sizing is necessary.

Modern .45 Colt carbide dies work the brass too much and case life is poor.

I do not full-length size, but partially size the front half of the case only, using a backed-off old RCBS steel die. I then use an RCBS cowboy expander with .453" diameter expander plug to slightly expand and flare the case mouth. Bullet can then be hand-started and then seated to length. Crimping is done separately using the Redding Profile Crimp die which gently profiles the case body. These rounds shoot well in two pre-WW2 Colts, an S&W 625, modern Ubertis, Piettas and Rugers as well as a Rossi carbine.

I don't size bullets smaller for the Rugers, one size fits all.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I had four or five .45 carbide sizers and of course they don't all size the same. So I picked out the largest and used that one. That worked out well. This was in ACP & Auto Rim in a 1955 Target.

Cat
    Last edited by Catshooter; 05-14-2021 at 04:58 AM.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I added a set of elk grips to the Model 1950, Target 45 ACP. I like them.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D648283F-27C1-436F-A6B6-26538B793EDF.jpg   A2964424-8956-4F0C-AD2A-1BA872B4F3E5.jpg  
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

That is a beautiful gun.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

When I was a kid in Scouts was into stamp collecting. The Post Master was family friend and would save me a sheet of stamps and the poster announcing it. The stamps were kept in a big old fashion safe. In the safe was a 1917 S&W 45acp. I remember gun was stamped US Postal Dept. We got a actual post office building in middle 60s, PO Master retired and I have no idea what happened to the 45. I’ve got 9 S&W m25s , six are 25-2 acp. All with 6.5” barrels.

Boolit Man
    It may not matter to anyone else, but looking at the first two pictures of this thread, I noticed the first pic is of a 1950, but the second pic is of an earlier version of the revolver. The giveaway is the hammer spur. The second pic is of the previous version with the "long action". The rear of the hammer spur kinda rolls around onto itself. The 1950 version is shorter and does not have the curl at the back of the spur.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jgt View Post
    It may not matter to anyone else, but looking at the first two pictures of this thread, I noticed the first pic is of a 1950, but the second pic is of an earlier version of the revolver. The giveaway is the hammer spur. The second pic is of the previous version with the "long action". The rear of the hammer spur kinda rolls around onto itself. The 1950 version is shorter and does not have the curl at the back of the spur.
    The two photos in Post 1 are of the same 1950 Target Model, 45 ACP. Just left and right sides. I do have some ACPs with the long actions and several more with the short actions. But those two photos are the same revolver just from different angles.

Kevin

Boolit Master

It is a nice one, congrats....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Man
    I should have been more clear in my reference to the second picture. I was referring to the picture posted by Outpost 75. It was described as a military and police model of the 1950 but clearly displayed a hammer of the long action that was replaced in the 1950 model with a short action and different hammer spur.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jgt View Post
    I should have been more clear in my reference to the second picture. I was referring to the picture posted by Outpost 75. It was described as a military and police model of the 1950 but clearly displayed a hammer of the long action that was replaced in the 1950 model with a short action and different hammer spur.
    I had not noticed but you are correct.

Kevin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123