Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Primer Tool Score

Boolit Grand Master
    I could probably come up with an old beater of a Pacific Pistol measure... finding a rotor th throw a sufficiently smal charge might be a challenge. How much Trail Boss will he try to shoot for?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

Not sure, I'll have to do some research. To be honest, I always thought Trail Boss was an answer looking for a question, but for an inexperienced handloader, it may be safer.

Come to think of it, I believe I have one of the little Pacific powder measures. I need to do some looking around through all my Dad's stuff and find it. One of these days, I need to get organized, LOL.

Boolit Master

Green Frog, your mention of cigar box prompts me to report that my nine priming tools were in a wooden cigar box. Went through the shell holders, only had about 4 that I can use, the others will probably be sold or traded. There were also 5 shell holders for one of the later priming tools that aren't threaded.

Also a part of my score was a little dandy and 13 rotors, all new and unused. The Little dandy was in the box but the instructions were missing. Found the instructions on the RCBS website and found that I had an extra part. There was a knurled aluminum knob that I think will fit on the end of the rotors.

I got a full set of 30/40 Krag dies for the 310 that will be for trade or sale and a set of 30/30 dies missing the shell holder/primer die that I will keep. Maybe next weekend I wiil get to listing what I want to sell or trade.

Not hand tool items I also got included a set of RCBS cowboy dies in 32/20 and a 32/20 finish reamer. Thought I had gotten a set of 310 handles with the 30/40 dies but apparently the handles were in one of the boxes I did not get. Found 2 of the items at a flea market. There were several sets of 310 dies there, several missing 1 or 2 parts. One box was marked 30/30 but instead it contained a complete set of 45/70 dies. There was also a Lyman box that supposedly contained a complete setup for casting and reloading. It was about a 12x16x3 inch box inside a locked display case. It was not clear what it was supposed to contain. Since it was priced at 245 dollars, I did not ask to look at it. As I was looking at the dies, the owner came in to put a few more items in the booth. We got to talking and he said he had quite a few more items he would bring in in the next few months and I should check back often. I explained that I was about 50 miles from home and that would not be convenient.

He then offered to let me follow him home and look through some of his stuff. After selecting several items he went to his house to get the priming tool shellholders and he asked me to come in. He then showed me a rifle he had built years ago for Schuetzen competition. It was a large frame Martini Henry chambered for a wildcat 30/303 with a shortened case. Overall case length looked to be about 2 inches, blown out and sharp shouldered and the neck looked to be about 3/4 inch. The gun was set up for breach seating of the bullet and then load primed and charged case. He gave me his card from a bisiness he had closed about 20 years ago and hopefully I will get to go back. He is 87 but still quite active.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like you got some great stuff to play with. I may be able to help you with some of those Lee Shell Holders. The 45-70 set you got instead of 30-30 was a bonus to my of thinking. You have almost half of a complete set of rotors for that Little Dandy. I’ve got all 28 of them but actually only use about a half dozen of them.

If you’d like to connect with me directly to swap some of your excess for things you need for completing sets, drop me a PM with your email address and we’ll “talk.”

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    PS to last: I’m pretty sure I have a spare 310 priming chamber die for your 30-30. I’ll check if you like. I don’t use that one anyway because I prefer my Pope style tool by the late Jake Simmons for that caliber. I’d be curious to know the name of your old Schuetzen guy. I’ve been active in the American Single Shot Rifle Association for close to 30 years, so our paths may well have crossed at some time.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    PS to last: I’m pretty sure I have a spare 310 priming chamber die for your 30-30. I’ll check if you like. I don’t use that one anyway because I prefer my Pope style tool by the late Jake Simmons for that caliber. I’d be curious to know the name of your old Schuetzen guy. I’ve been active in the American Single Shot Rifle Association for close to 30 years, so our paths may well have crossed at some time.

Froggie
    PM sent.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master
    OK ulav8r, I’ll see what I can dig out this evening. Hopefully you will have something in the Lee shell holders to fill one of my gaps, otherwise, we’ll work something out we can both live with.

Froggie

Boolit Master

I'll be home tomorrow evening, will send a list of trade items.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    OK ulav8r, I’ll see what I can dig out this evening. Hopefully you will have something in the Lee shell holders to fill one of my gaps, otherwise, we’ll work something out we can both live with.

Froggie
    PM sent.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now I have t gather the energy to go down to the basement where the reloading stuff is in a jumbled mess. Hopefully this afternoon.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    This was an interesting thread and since posting it I’ve seen a slight uptick of ads for these tools and their shell holders on flea bay. Last night a tool with (presumably) a large primer punch and four commonly used shell holders went for about $25 with shipping. I think Lee must have made a blue million of the things, and I personally am now set up to probably be fixed for the remainder of my reloading career. It’s a real comfort in my old age to know I’m all set on at least something!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    i still think that the older lee primer tool is the best ever made. i have many along with other types. the lee is all i will use

Boolit Master
    Ref. buyers, sellers, shortages, and way overpriced products, I don't like the way things are but after saying that I have mixed feelings.

First, there's an old adage that "a fool and his money are soon parted" and there's no better example of it than the outrageous prices being paid today. Each buyer is in control of what he pays so no one can reasonably complain if he agrees to pay from 6 to 10 times more than he should for his hobby toys; the sellers can only ask, they can't force anyone to pay it! I love to shoot and enjoy reloading but it's not my life so I refuse to foolishly pay excessive prices to get new toys. Sick people HAVE to pay for high priced medicines that help keep them alive but no one is going to die if they can't reload another couple thousand rounds next week.

Will Rogers once said, "If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging!" I believe if more buyers used some common sense and stopped digging we wouldn't have the current massive shortages and incredible price spikes.

But -- I sure don't begrudge the lucky sellers who seek whatever they can get from the masses of fools all around them; after all, sellers have families to feed too!

Boolit Grand Master
    1 hole, I agree to a point. Now I'm watching closely at all the auctions for bargains or specific items I need and might be able to find cheaply because of timing, mislabeling, etc.

Recently there were listings for two of the old first type of Ideal lubricating pumps. One with great pictures that showed that a key part, the clamp, was missing; the other was complete but less cleverly presented. The former was priced at $399 while the latter was a bargain at $50. Guess which one I bought!

Research time and discussions with fellow enthusiasts have given me a feel for what to look for, and being retired, I have more time than money, sooooo auctions are fairly cheap entertainment.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    PS From what I've been swapping and gifting to friends, I find myself low on large primer punches and with a slight excess of small ones. Anybody in the opposite situation please PM me to discuss.

Froggie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12