Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Primer Tool Score

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Primer Tool Score

I went to the gun show at Fishersville (VA) today. I should have slept late because when I got there at about 9:15 the line ran halfway down the parking lot.

I went to a LGS as well as an antique shop to kill some time, then went back after the line had died down. As expected, ammo and components were through the roof, but in fairly good supply. There were a lot of long guns and about the normal number of handguns for this venue, but nothing I was actually interested in.

So when I got to the far side of the second building I found a ziplock bag that had a 1st Gen Lee Priming tool and three of the proprietary screw in shell holders, one each for 30-06/45 ACP, 9mm and 223/5.56. It had the small primer punch, but I have more of the large size in my stash, so I'm good. The best part was the whole ziplock bag was priced at $15. Needless to say, once I had it in my hands it stayed there until it was paid for. That was worth the trip, IMHO!

Froggie

PS If $125/thousand is going to be the new normal for primers I may not need a primer tool any more.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I have 6 of those old threaded lee primer tools and a good selection of the threaded shell holders for several caliber. I pick one up about each time I find one at a decent price. I prefer theose type to the later lee's and I also have s everal of the early RCBS primer tools and I like them maybe a little better simple because they are easier to handle and also the shell holder changes faster. james

Banned
    Mr Frog Person Sir, you did well. I went to a small show just south of the Cities yesterday. Turnout was down, not crowded and guns for sale was very limited. Few of the bigger vendors bothered to attend.

A couple of guys were selling 223/9mm ammo at decent prices and they had plenty. There was very little powder, mostly H414 which I didn't need. Bullets were older boxes from the basement and priced equal to new factory stuff. .22 ammo was HIGH, 25.00 a 1ooct box for old Remington stuff in those handy, square plastic boxes. Primers, well, very few new boxes and all were priced at $1.00 each, $1000.00 a brick. I had to walk past quickly to keep from insulting someone.

Sad day for sure.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I was also at a gun show yesterday, it was packed. More reloading supplies that usual, but mostly old stock, fellas cleaning out, due to age or just what they will never use. Very little casting equipment, BUT, I did pick-up a Lyman Mag 20 pot, Lyman 2C 358311 w/handles, a herters cast iron ladle, Lee XR hand primer,like new, 2 bags of shotgun wads, some 17 cal bullets, and a RCBS decapping die and collet bullet puller with 22, 6mm and 30 cal collets. Might end-up re-homing most of it....I should be selling, not buying!

Primers were available, $150 for old stock, modern packaged 180 and up. I thought I heard 22LR were 8 cents each.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Gee Whiz ... I am so thankful forecasting this reloading & ammo supplies pandemic by watching the FBI NICS database go through the ceiling
    Really feel sorry though for new gun owners and the old timers not forecasting the pandemic
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Primers, well, very few new boxes and all were priced at $1.00 each, $1000.00 a brick. Ken
    I can’t imagine there’d be a lot of buyers at a buck per primer.

Boolit Master

I got 9 of the Lee priming tools yesterday, haven't looked closely at them yet but I think they are mostly unused. Also got about half a shoebox of shellholders, all still on cards.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    I got 9 of the Lee priming tools yesterday, haven't looked closely at them yet but I think they are mostly unused. Also got about half a shoebox of shellholders, all still on cards.
    Do you by chance have a shell holder for .32 S&W L? I have quite a few, but need that one at the moment.

Banned

I like these tools as well, have five or six set up for things I load often.

Boolit Master
    I can't understand why lee stopped making these tools. I got hooked when I came across one in a lee target loader box many years ago. I use it quite often and it still works perfect

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I can't understand why lee stopped making these tools. I got hooked when I came across one in a lee target loader box many years ago. I use it quite often and it still works perfect
    They “improved” them by making them with the automatic primer feed (from a plastic tray) and greatly simplified shell holders. They were probably somewhat cheaper to produce and with the auto feed could be sold for more... end of story!

I have speculated as to what it would cost to tool up and make the same basic tool with quality brass castings for the body and handle and the rest made of steel. It would cost enough that one would have to sell a bunch to make it worthwhile, especially to do the tooling for the shell holders. There were about 40 of them!

BTW to richhodge66, I think I may have a spare CC shell holder in my chowder box... contact me.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Did you buy a couple of Lottery Tickets on the way home? It sounds like this was your lucky day! Congratulations.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    We’ve had several threads, as well as PM strings going on this subject over the last couple of years. Perhaps the administrators would consider a sticky for exchanging these tools and especially their shell holders. It would be similar to the existing one for 310 stuff. I know I’ve gotten and given a fair amount of help with this already and there always seems to be some interest when the subject arises.

How about it, administrators?

Froggie

Froggie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    They “improved” them by making them with the automatic primer feed (from a plastic tray) and greatly simplified shell holders. They were probably somewhat cheaper to produce and with the auto feed could be sold for more... end of story!

I have speculated as to what it would cost to tool up and make the same basic tool with quality brass castings for the body and handle and the rest made of steel. It would cost enough that one would have to sell a bunch to make it worthwhile, especially to do the tooling for the shell holders. There were about 40 of them!

BTW to richhodge66, I think I may have a spare CC shell holder in my chowder box... contact me.

Froggie
    I will do that. Got the first shot yesterday and am feeling worse than I anticipated this morning, but I'll be fine.

Reason for needing it is good. I already have one for me, but my younger son who is a college student and free spirit who does a lot of long, solo road trips out around the southwest, came back from his last one wanting a small revolver for packing, more than a Kit Gun and he had done some research and decided on a Ruger Singkle Six which the family happenned to have one of that wasn't being used much. So he's excited, he grew up around guns, but was never as big on them as his older brother. Putting together a reloading set up he can keep in an urban apartment and box up to put in a closet when not in use. These little Lees are perfect for that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Do you by chance have a shell holder for .32 S&W L? I have quite a few, but need that one at the moment.
    No Idea. I will try to check before the day is over.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Did you buy a couple of Lottery Tickets on the way home? It sounds like this was your lucky day! Congratulations.

Froggie
    Nope. Wife was complaining I had spent too much within minutes of leaving.

Boolit Master

No 32 S&W.

Mr. Frog, would you prefer I not post any more about my score on your thread?

Boolit Grand Master
    No 32 S&W.

Mr. Frog, would you prefer I not post any more about my score on your thread?
    Post away! This started out as a brag thread, and you just one-upped me with your brag. Your one time purchase put you ahead of my two decades long collection!

All kidding aside, it's common to have thread drift become irritating when somebody is talking about Lee tools and somebody chimes in with something about RCBS, but I for one was happy to see the discussion continue, and best of all, it gave me a chance to return a favor to my e-friend richhodg66 by providing a shell holder he needs... it was just recently that he saved my bacon by providing an oddball shell holder I needed for a project.

Who else has a Lee Primer Tool brag? Right now the score is Froggie: 1 and ulav8r: 9

Froggie

PS The ones you got in 1982 don't count. Let's hear about something recent!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I will do that. Got the first shot yesterday and am feeling worse than I anticipated this morning, but I'll be fine.

Reason for needing it is good. I already have one for me, but my younger son who is a college student and free spirit who does a lot of long, solo road trips out around the southwest, came back from his last one wanting a small revolver for packing, more than a Kit Gun and he had done some research and decided on a Ruger Singkle Six which the family happenned to have one of that wasn't being used much. So he's excited, he grew up around guns, but was never as big on them as his older brother. Putting together a reloading set up he can keep in an urban apartment and box up to put in a closet when not in use. These little Lees are perfect for that.
    That is a worthy cause if I ever heard one. I'll be happy to send one to you gratis to put together his portable kit. Do you need anything else for this project? You'll have to send me your snail mail address again... I somehow lost it from my PM files. I've got a padded envelope all ready to pack it up and should be able to get it in the mail Monday, assuming I have your addy by then.

BTW, since it's my thread, I'll drift it a little... here's a nice little cigar box size set of tools from S&W circa 1897. I cheated and added a Lee Priming Tool to make the process easier.

Froggie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A58EA5F1-B628-4A35-AF13-3216A9AB4304.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	281863

Banned

That is a worthy cause if I ever heard one. I'll be happy to send one to you gratis to put together his portable kit. Do you need anything else for this project? You'll have to send me your snail mail address again... I somehow lost it from my PM files. I've got a padded envelope all ready to pack it up and should be able to get it in the mail Monday, assuming I have your addy by then.

BTW, since it's my thread, I'll drift it a little... here's a nice little cigar box size set of tools from S&W circa 1897. I cheated and added a Lee Priming Tool to make the process easier.

Froggie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A58EA5F1-B628-4A35-AF13-3216A9AB4304.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	281863
    Thanks, Charlie. PM sent.

About the only thing the boy is lacking now is a pistol powder measure. He was kind of intrigued with using the Lee scoops and they're fine, one just has to work a while to develop a consistent technique. If nothing else, I'll just get him a Lil Dandy and be done with it. I've come to really like them and they do most of my pistol and a lot of my cast rifle loads now.

I think eventually, he'll want a real bench mounted press, and Lord knows I have enough stuff to outfit him when the time comes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast