MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load Data

Thread: Friends 1885 Browning Hi Wall sight help needed?

Friends 1885 Browning Hi Wall sight help needed?

I good friend just found a .45-70 and is interested in a veneer sight with adjustment for elevation and windage to help his 70 year-old eyes. Can you point him in the right direction? Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest an MVA # 130 or #107 with a Lee Shaver spirit level globe front sight.

Vendor Sponsor

Does this Browning 1885 highwall have an upper tang?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Does this Browning 1885 highwall have an upper tang?
    Good question. Unless it’s a BPCR (target model) it probably doesn’t have a tang to mount a vernier/tang sight on.

I will have to find out?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I will have to find out?
    I haven’t seen any Brownings with metal tangs except the BPCR target models. I ended up buying a Winchester since they had metal tangs. I’m pretty sure your friend wouldn’t want to drill the wood to mount a vernier/tang sight. I could never figure out why they made the Brownings that way.

Betting he doesn't have a tang, so only way to install a tang sight will be to inlet and epoxy in a metal plate in the normal tang area. Then D&T it and install a tang sight on that plate.
    Most people don't want to modify their guns this way, but not really an option if he wants aa long range vernier sight.

Boolit Master

If he is going to drill the rifle you might think about one of these. I have one of the BPCR and the front sight is getting harder to see.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

You are correct, no tang. There holes drilled into the rear of the barrel. I think he is pretty set on a veneer rear sight. Don't think he will compete with it? I like the metal plate idea, he would likely have to have that done for him?

Boolit Master
    There is another alternative to the plate in the rear of the tan. I have done this on ML's with a short tang. Most Hardware stores have brass inserts, threaded on the outside with a slot in the top to screw into a predrilled hole. The insert has a threaded hole inside it, usually 8x32, 10x32 etc. I have done it and it looks pretty good, and if yo decide to remove the sight, you can put filler screws in the holes, or remove the inserts and plug with wood.

Boolit Grand Master

Marbles makes a tang model with windage. You may have to pay $125 to get one. Try Brownells or Natchez Shooters supply
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 1885s no tang to drill perhaps a William's peep sight he'll probably need a new front sight as well.

There's no place on these rifles to get even one hole for a tang sight. If there was, I'd suggest even getting one hole into the action, and a 2nd in the stock with an insert of brass or steel. But it's just not feasible, or workable.
    I've done the faux tang on a Browning, and an H&R Buffalo Classic to use a good vernier tang sight. I don't butt the insert up close to the receiver rear edge. I hold the inletting back about 1/4" to keep the wood stronger. A gunsmith with a mill can easily mill out a slot, and mill a plate to epoxy into this area. A single wood screw in the middle, and epoxy when inserted makes this a very solid base for the sight to screw too.
    Heck, Remington used to screw their long range tang sights in the heel position above the buttplate on their Creedmoor Long Range rifles! If it worked for 1,000 yd. competition, then a solid base epoxied in should be even better, and is.

I have a Browning Traditional Hunter (30-30) (1885 SS) that has a top tang and is fitted with a tang sight adjustable to windage and elevations. It is a Browning made sight with some squirrely metric thread for the disc. I lost the disc but redrilled and tapped for Lyman/Redfield/Williams apertures.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.