Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimarron 1875 Outlaw?

Boolit Buddy

Cimarron 1875 Outlaw?

My son is lusting after the 1875 in .357 magnum. I'm a little concerned about the strength of the gun with heavier loads. I don't redline but I do like heavier loads of 2400 and H110 and want to make sure it can handle it.

I've tried to steer him towards a Blackhawk but he doesn't like the feel and balance.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences?
    Cargo

Boolit Master

Personally, I wouldn’t redline the 1875. But it’s a heavy pistol. And I never had a 357 BH that shot worth a hoot. I only have one, and that’s a 38/9mm convertible that sits in the cabinet. But it will handle any 357 load.

My Italian SAA and other cones are for fun and collecting. I do shoot them, a lot actually. But no way they will last as long or handle the loads a BH will.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master
    My gut is telling me to treat it like an Italian SAA clone and not like a modern Ruger.

Robert

Boolit Master

I can't speak to the strength, but one thing that turns me off that package in .357 is the WEIGHT. The gun has the same external dimensions as the "starts with a 4" caliber models it was designed around, but they drilled MUCH SMALLER holes in it. They just feel better as .45's.

You might also try him on either a Ruger Bisley or Freedom Arms (also uses the Bisley grip angle). You either love them or hate them.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I can't speak to the strength, but one thing that turns me off that package in .357 is the WEIGHT. The gun has the same external dimensions as the "starts with a 4" caliber models it was designed around, but they drilled MUCH SMALLER holes in it. They just feel better as .45's.
    We looked at the .45 but would have to order the .357 so we were unaware of the weight increase. A very valid point that probably saved me $600 and a very disappointed teenager.
    Cargo

Boolit Master

Had I nice long post written out, then computer crashed!

Oh well, I was long winded anyways so will just say have him look at the BH in 41 magnum. Will smoke the 357 and hang with the 44 and feels/handle great.

Wanted to state that the clones from Pietta, Uberti, EMF, and etc are very well made reproductions of the SAA and other earlier pistols. You can even get them with upgraded parts and better sights. But the SAA had its flaws and could handle only so much pressure. Elmer Keith wrote of blowing his SAAs up trying to get close to what would be known as “44 magnum” levels. So the new clones, even with today’s metals, can only handle so much pressure do to its limited design. Putting small parts from the clones next to modern Ruger BH/Vaquero parts will show the difference. Modern designed SAs are just plain stronger.

I have the basic/inexpensive models from EMF and Pietta that I took I took in on trade toward one Uberti NM Cattleman II in. 357, that just didn’t handle/feel right to me. The gentleman liked the looks of the “cowboy” guns but didn’t want to be bothered with reloading for the 45LC so a deal was made! Both of these clones shot POA/POI at 15 yards and I never had to touch the cylinder throats! But these pistols were never meant to handle heavy pressure loads. Even the new Ruger Vaqueros won’t hold up to the Blackhawk loads. So pick the right pistol for the job. But can say the two big Italian clone makers, Pietta and Uberti, are good to go.

There is another option, but I think they are way over priced, the Ruger Vaquero in 357. But same thing, watch the loadings . The new versions are not BHs. But have heard they are stronger than the Italian clones.

Lefty
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 04-11-2021 at 01:16 PM.

I have an Cimarron Outlaw in a Colt .45. It is a well made, finished sidearm. No, it is not as strong as the "original" Vaquero; but it doesn't handle like one either! The only thing I do not like is its short cylinder, which limits COAL to factory specs. I've mostly read from U.S. users of how the "heavy cowboy" pistols are so much stronger, thus will handle any published reload listed. I have owned a few of the heavyweights and and don't really care for a sidearm that weighs have as much as a carbine and recoils like a "sawed off" shotgun (my exaggeration and hyperbole - noted!).

Every time I hear of a European or Italian "clone", it is followed by descriptions of weak designs, or less than capable of handling the pressures of a U.S. (name: Ruger, Freedom Arms, etc.) made pistol. Now I am as Pro American as any Vet, and bleed "Red, White, and Blue"; however, I will never be convinced that Uberti, Beretta, Sako, etc. design firearms that just barely manage to get by SAMMI specs when European specs (in some cases) are even higher. Even Cimarron has a bit more steel between cylinder holes than a Colt Frontier. While the .357 has been housed in just about every revolver known to man, including a "J" frame S&W, do you really think a Cimarron is a "weaker" version? I too do would not care for an Outlaw in a .357 because of the heavier barrel and cylinder (smaller cartridge holes), that's why I chose the .45 Colt. I've owned the original, "big" Vaquero in the .45 and can testify to .44 Mag (close) velocities with the same recoil levels. I've also owned the New Vaquero and preferred its heft and balance to the old. I'll keep my clones; they ride comfortably in a holster that doesn't weigh me down and provide enough fire power for my purposes. My .02

Boolit Grand Master
    Kaiser, you bring up a good point in that while the various clones may not be as strong as a large frame Ruger, even their newer small frame Vaquero's aren't as strong. They are however strong enough for 99% of the recreational shooting that will be done with them.

My point was not to treat it like a New Model Blackhawk, but to feed it sensible loads.

Back when I was thinking of taking up Cowboy shooting, I bought a 5½" Ruger Bisley Vaquero, the first ones with the large frame. As things turned out, I wish I had gotten an adjustable sight model; truthfully a lighter one would be nice too.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

As the old thinking goes if you need a 45 magnum it has been around a long time.... .454 Casulle. He should have called it what it is.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I can't imagine a 45 framed revolver of modern manufacture chambered in 357 not being safe with full power 357 loads .
    What causes you guys to say they are not ?

Boolit Master

Plus 1 onelight. If its chambered for the 357 cartridge, why not shoot 357's in it? Any factory 357 loads.
    Last edited by littlejack; 04-13-2021 at 09:47 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Bingo for onelight and littlejack. It will shoot any factory fodder or handloads within the industry accepted pressure levels. If you want more power, get a 41 or 44 Magnum. To load to the redline is to live by the consequences.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Plus 1 onelight. If its chambered for the 357 cartridge, what not shoot 357's in it? Any factory 357 loads.
    I don't remember the last time I saw factory .357 for sale.

The strength question is because I like warmer loads in the GP100s and I want to make sure the gun is solid enough in case my wife or son grabs the wrong ammo. This seems fairly sensible to me.
    Cargo

I've only owned one Cimarron, that being a 1858 Remington 44 with the Colt 45 conversion cylinder. It shot very well with black powder loaded 45 Colt or smokeless rounds of that level. I liked the feel of that revolver but sold it to fund another purchase I just had to have. Well, Midway had a. 1858 revolver listed. It's called the Outlaw and is chambered in 44-40. I have the old model Ruger Vaquaro that will handle heavy loads, so I have all the 44-40 fixin's. I'll let you all know how this Cimarron purchase turns out. Gp

I had a Uberti made 1875 Remington. 45 Colt and it was very well made. It had a short cylinder which made bullet selection important, but it was a shooter! I don't know about the .357 version, but it should be ok at reasonable load level.
    I second Lefty Red on the .41 Blackhawk suggestion. The 4-5/8" is light to carry and easy to shoot, even with the Elmer loads. And all kinds of fun with Special level loads.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I may have to find a 4 5/8 BH for him to look at. IIRC the one he looked at was a 7.5 so the shorter barrel and better balance might sway him to the Ruger. Call me biased but I love Ruger wheelguns.
    Cargo

I have several Rugers. 45 Colt old model Blackhawk with the 45ACP conversion cylinder. The 41mag Blackhawk, the Vaquaro 44-40 and 357 GP100 along with a 45 auto. I love my Rugers but, all the revolvers I own have tight cylinder throats and the auto had no throat at all. Doug Phillips fixed the 44-40 and the 45 auto and I really should sent him the 45 and 41 and have the throats honed. I've been getting by with them because I powder coat my bullets and can use .410 and .451 bullets without leading. Gp

Boolit Master

Cargo, not trying to bust anyones cajones.
    You stated that you didn't "redline" when loading, but liked heavy loads. Ok, if your loads are "heavy" but not "redline" or "max", I would take a SWAG that they are under SAAMI maximum pressures. So why worry. I'm just curious.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

Lefty Red,
    I've never owned a NM Blackhawk in .357Mag that wouldn't shoot X-Rings at 25yrds. The 2 I've kept all these years are a 1974 .357/9mm 6 1/2" and a 1975 .45Colt 4 5/8".

In My heyday the .357 would shoot box after box into that X-Ring of the #358156 over Max 2400.
    I haven't hot loaded a .45Colt since I bought My own .44Mag about 1978 or so.
    Wouldn't have liked it if one of My "idiot" friends at the time had stuck a Magnumized .45Colt into My BRAND NEW 3rd Gen SAA and blew it to pieces. So I followed My Dad's guidelines and stopped loading hot .45Colts and .38Spls.

To get back to the question; I've had a Uberti 1875 .45Colt 7 1/2" bbl for about 25yrs. It would hold a 2 inch group at 50ft, which is all I ask of a Revolver that I Cowboy shoot with.
    The 1875 is also offered in 5 1/2" bbl. So is the 1890 model.
    Although the New Vaquero ain't a bad gun either. Throw away the cheap grips and put on a decent set of wood and ya got a real nice shooter.

If possible let the Kid handle as many Revolvers as possible. Weight and balance are a very personal choice. So is the power of the ammunition.
    There should be Texan's somewhere that have one they'll let your Youngster try.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Walks,
    You kept the best one, as have I, a BH in 357/9mm. But I will stand on my and several shooting buddies experience and keep away from BHs in 357. But, I have to say my BH Convertible shoots 9mm into a ragged hole at 25 yards.
    Lefty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast