Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cimarron 1875 Outlaw?

Boolit Buddy
    The European proofing for firearms is a fair bit higher than the U.S.A. standard. Your Uberti or Pietta reproductions will run full strength loads with ease!

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    It seems that there is confusion about ultimate strength (hot loads) as apposed to the ability to digest thousands of say "average" factory 158 grain jacketed magnum loads. This would be in contrast to being able to sustain firing tens of thousands of cowboy action loads. I do not have the answer, but surely an Italian clone can handle plenty of factory magnum level ammunition, before it needs to have small parts replaced.

The 44-40 "Outlaw" arrived today. Very pretty revolver with the case hardened coloring on the frame and bluing on the barrel. Looks very sturdy I do wish it was 6" barrel but the 7 1/2 will do. It measures a lot better than my old model Vaquero excepting the cylinder is shorter being only 1.555 overall. The chamber neck is .445 and the throats .432+. The barrel slugs .431. Shouldn't have sold my Saeco #444 the bullets on hand fit best of any 44 bullets I have seating to the crimp groove. Oh well, it was just a one cavity so I ordered a 43 200QL Three cavity from Tom at accurate. It should be here by the time I shoot up the #444s The Accurate mould is a very slightly heeled bullet that I ordered .429 heel and .434 body should work for my old Ruger and the new Uberti. I'll let you know more after a range trip. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    It seems that there is confusion about ultimate strength (hot loads) as apposed to the ability to digest thousands of say "average" factory 158 grain jacketed magnum loads. This would be in contrast to being able to sustain firing tens of thousands of cowboy action loads. I do not have the answer, but surely an Italian clone can handle plenty of factory magnum level ammunition, before it needs to have small parts replaced.
    Hmmmmm . . . what "small parts"? Never replaced anything in my Uberti made El Patron Competition .45C /45acp. Sold it to a " shooter" buddy of mine and it has become his favorite as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with firearms from Italy. Like i said, they build them to higher standards than the run of the mill USA built SA's. Colt, to date , has still never offered a 44mag.SAA but Uberti has offered the 44 mag Cattleman for quite sometime.

Mike

Boolit Master

I shot a pair of Colt SAA's in .44Spl for almost 25yrs of Cowboy Shooting.
    My Kids shot Uberti clones for over 10 of those years.
    In the "Glory" days of Cowboy Shooting in SoCal you could shoot every Sat & Sun. We shot about 5-6 times a month. They each used a pair of EMF Revolvers. All had action jobs and were feed a std .38Spl load. With about 10 stages per match that's about 250rds per gun per month. We also went to the indoor range 1-2 a week. My Son liked to shoot My .357Mag Blackhawk in His clones too. At least a box a week.

Never replaced a single part. Except a broken hand on My Left Hand Colt.

I shot many thousands of the "Skeeter Load" in My .44 Colt's long before I switched to the lighter loads for Cowboy Shooting.

The only Italian SA clones that I've ever seen come apart were from ammo loaded on a dillon by some noob idiot.

Many feel the Italian guns are inferior to American made. If that is so ? Why have all the Top SASS Shooter's shot them for so many long years. I know one Shooter who uses an 1866 Rifle for 1,000 plus rounds a year for 30yrs, come next month. Routine cleaning and teardown every year. Smooth as glass. Never been touched by a Gunsmith.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    My gun shop has the Cimarron 1875 357. I have a couple questions. On is do their chambers required Doug Guy's treatment.

The other question is about its safety. Does it have a Ruger New Model type or something else or none?

I can't say about the 357 Outlaws but my 44-40 has generous throats @.432 and is old style Colt single action as the firing pin is on the hammer and you need to leave the hammer down on an empty chamber when carrying. The Cattleman revolvers have a transfer bar. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I can't say about the 357 Outlaws but my 44-40 has generous throats @.432 and is old style Colt single action as the firing pin is on the hammer and you need to leave the hammer down on an empty chamber when carrying. The Cattleman revolvers have a transfer bar. Gp
    I don’t know about Pietta but I believe Uberti has two variations. My 2016 and 2019 produced cattleman’s have the firing pin on the hammer. I feel like I’ve heard of them having a model with a transfer bar though. I’ve seen a ton of SAA clones from both brands for sale and I’ve never seen one without the firing pin on the hammer.

I personally prefer the old Colt style to the transfer bar and I really don’t care for the new model ruger system with no half cock.

Kyle My Outlaw is an Uberti and I'm only going by the owners manual as it shows the variations. I don't own a Cattleman myself. I'm impressed with the quality of these revolvers. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Kyle My Outlaw is an Uberti and I'm only going by the owners manual as it shows the variations. I don't own a Cattleman myself. I'm impressed with the quality of these revolvers. Gp
    I do know that both of mine have some weird retractable firing pin. It looks like the original Colts but apparently retracts and puts no pressure on the primer if carried hammer down on a live round. Like I said I feel like I’ve heard talk of transfer bars in Uberti revolvers but maybe it was just a stop gap used between the original style and the new retractable firing pin?

I’m also quite impressed with mine. I have a .45 Colt “Frisco” with charcoal bluing and faux pearl grips. The other is the “El Patron” both with 5.5” barrels. I also have a Uberti Remington New Model Army with the case hardened frame and a Howell’s old west .45 Colt conversion cylinder.

I used to have a 6.5” barreled Uberti .44-40/.44 special convertible model made in 1969 according to the date code. I don’t know when these first came out but it had a two digit serial number preceded by an L

Boolit Master

Me and Frank James like our 1875 in 44 wcf...

Nice balance, sweet trigger, all around great firearm.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12