RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: $180 brick of 22lr

$180 brick of 22lr

Went to an estate auction today that had a number of guns up for sale. Watched a brick of white box Winchester 22lr go for $180! I know prices are up but I about **** my pants! Wished I'd brought a few bricks to sell on consignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

That is about what I paid for a brick of Eley Tenex match ammo last year.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the local shops I frequent have been keeping .22lr in stock, $17.95 per 50 and I haven't spotted anyone buying any yet.
    Cargo

Wasn't I a "silly billy", buying two cases of 5,000 Federal when the price was $315/5000. If the worst comes I can use some of the 12,000 pellets in storage for my Diana air rifle.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I went to a estate sale awhile back and there was some gun stuff.

There was 4-5 plastic 1 pound bottles of powder that I use.
    They had in them anywhere from a inch or so to almost half full.
    I asked how much?

I was told they were already marked.
    They were, with the gun store retail price stickers still on them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I just bought an old pound of Hercules 2400 in the square metal can for $35 at a gun show. Can is in excellent condition and full. I wanted the can for my shelf and the powder is a definite bonus. Trying some in min loads over a chronograph shortly to see if it is 2400, if not then I'll just leave it in the can and dump it when showing signs of deterioration.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Local gun show yesterday had 100 round plastic boxes of CCI for $40.00. Wally world has same every few weeks at $9.80?. Did not see any “ bricks” for sale. What powder there was $50.00 a pound. CF ammo was $50+ and up / 50 rounds.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    At those prices, I should sell my 22LR stockpile and buy an new LEXUS.................for cash.

OMG...........people are really going crazy.

Again, I repeat the old adage, "If you got the money, you got the goodies." ("Goodies" can be defined as anything.......!!!!!!! )

Boolit Master

As long as people are willing to swallow hard and pay the high prices being asked for shooting components today, the prices are just going to continue to climb. The manufacturers are watching and they too will start raising their prices. It happened the last time and it will happen again. So buying at the panic prices will only serve to guarantee that the future prices will go up. Manufacturers generally figure the production cost + 15 to 20% for profit and that is their bottom wholesale price to distributors. The sales department for these manufacturers pay close attention to the market around their products. And if they see a trend like the rising prices for components today, they will be quick to raise their price to take advantage of the market. I know as I have been there and done that with a very large and successful company. The market drives prices and once the price goes up, it rarely comes down again. james

Boolit Buddy
    I'm glad I bought a bunch. I'm also glad I can reload them if I want. Not too hard... especially at those prices!

That's absolute NUTS, and for some of the crappiest ammo on the planet, no less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge 30-30 View Post
    Went to an estate auction today that had a number of guns up for sale. Watched a brick of white box Winchester 22lr go for $180! I know prices are up but I about **** my pants!

Yup, that's the way it works. The Overton Window in play, yet again.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    As long as people are willing to swallow hard and pay the high prices being asked for shooting components today, the prices are just going to continue to climb. The manufacturers are watching and they too will start raising their prices. It happened the last time and it will happen again. So buying at the panic prices will only serve to guarantee that the future prices will go up. Manufacturers generally figure the production cost + 15 to 20% for profit and that is their bottom wholesale price to distributors. The sales department for these manufacturers pay close attention to the market around their products. And if they see a trend like the rising prices for components today, they will be quick to raise their price to take advantage of the market. I know as I have been there and done that with a very large and successful company. The market drives prices and once the price goes up, it rarely comes down again. james

Boolit Master

Hard to hang on to all I have at that kind of price.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Price of poker just went up ... if a common brick of 22’s can go for $180 ... I have a brick of Lapua Match Target rounds with the rest of my collectibles
    Regards
    John

In the words of Patsy Cline .....CRAZY !

Boolit Buddy
    Our local BiMart chain has kept prices down but limited quantity during all the former ammo scares but not any more. I went there last week 300 round brick of Fed blue box .22 $25.
    Not too bad considering but then they had 50 rnd boxes of Blazer .45ACP for $25. That's 50c a round!
    A week before they had 150 rnd boxes of 223 for $90. That's 60c an round!

And it sells out in a day or day and a half.

When the last 22 LR drought passed, I bought four cases of Federal ammo. I can learn from the past. Unless you just started shooting and reloading in the past 5 or 6 years, you should have been ready for this.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Bidders' frenzy. Saw it often at estate sales I used to attend. Two or three bidders get mentally locked into the idea that each just HAS to defeat the other guy(s) at all costs.

Skilled auctioneers play to it and get some really ridiculous prices. Like P.T.Barnum said - there's a sucker born every minute.

I'm remembering one where a clapped-out old Stevens Favorite that I wouldn't have given $50 for went for over $500. Probably for a decoration in some upscale eatery.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Yeah, I got an email from Gunbroker the other day, a page that said We have ammo. Looked at it and it had any ammo you wanted, but they were all auctions, with unbelievable prices. However, it seemed that there were plenty of people bidding on them. Guess some are still in panic mode, or groups that need them and have plenty of cash, due to their economic activities
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, or one of the similar outdoor magazines recently interviewed both Hornady and Black Hills and both said they have no intention of raising prices, nor do other ammo manufacturers. They said the ammo industry is a much smaller industry than most people believe and once you start price gouging and screwing folks they find out very quickly and your reputation is ruined in a hurry. I know dealers say manufacturers are raising prices but in reality it's the distributors and dealers doing it and lying to cover their butts. Most shops around here are gouging people something terrible but I have one local shop that still has $550 AR's, $50 lowers, and if you get there on the day the shipments come in you can get primers for $28-$30/1000 and powder for $25/lb. It's first come first serve and even though he gets his deliveries on Thursdays powder and primers don't show up every Thursday. Luckily he's been in business for 40 years and the previous owners were there since the 30's, according to him he has highest seniority with distributors in the state and some out of state as well as with certain manufacturers. My favorite part is that Ruger firearms are always 25% off retail as he buys at 35% off.

The last .22 L.R. ammo I bought was a box of the Remington 525 golden bullets. I bought them in early 2020 for somewhere between $15-$20 from a different local shop, stuff didn't start getting difficult to find around here until late October of last year. I've seen a few people on various other forums say that in certain parts of the country primer and powder stocks are back to normal, so hopefully this is about over.

I looked at Gunbroker the other day at ammo, powder and primers. I think the stuff in my reloading room might be worth more than the whole house.

Wonder how much longer before the smugglers start to bring ammo instead of drugs.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast