MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $180 brick of 22lr

It's just funny what some will pay... I wandered through a local Atwood the other day. Good supply of some various guns, and a few boxes of shotshells. Maybe a dozen boxes of various centerfire and one lonely box of 22 ammo. I didn't even look closely at brand.....

Banned
    USCRA112, apparently, they made another run. Scheels had 50 or so bricks.

Boolit Grand Master

So today 10 / 5 / 2021 how much does a brick of any 22 LR sell for ... I'm scared to look !

Sales flyer from local Academy advertised guns for sale ... but no ammo !
    Why buy a new gun if you cant buy ammo ...
    pointing the gun and saying ... phew , phew , phew ... doesn't work
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Academy had CCI Mini- mag 22LR @$12/100; and Norma .22LR for $10/50 last week. I bought some CCI- not a great price but not bad for these days.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Found several bricks of Thunderbolts today. I bought 5 of them for $30 apiece. I was surprised when the dealer let me have that many. He still had several left for the next guy.
    During the last shortage, I paid more than that by quite a bit.
    I needed some plinking ammo and now I have some.

Local gun classifieds have listings for "cheap" .22LR at $0.08 per round and 22WMR at $0.36 per round. No sales after over a week but compared to what y'all are listing, it is "cheap". I stocked up 2012-2014. I frequent Walmart very infrequently but ours hasn't had any ammo of any type other than 28 gauge for almost two years, possibly more.

I was buying all the Federal 36 grain copper plated 22lr's I wanted right up to the election at the local Wally World for $18.84/550 bulk boxes.

Only reenforced the bench once

Winchester blasters were $45 a brick yesterday, limit 1 brick.

And people were walking by them.

As Remington ramps up production more, I suspect both price and availability will improve across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Found several bricks of Thunderbolts today. I bought 5 of them for $30 apiece. I was surprised when the dealer let me have that many. He still had several left for the next guy.
    During the last shortage, I paid more than that by quite a bit.
    I needed some plinking ammo and now I have some.
    Wow, twenty some years ago while in a local ''Boscov's'' department store buying socks, they announced a flash sale on Remington Thunderbolts for $5.00 a brick. Sporting goods was just across a main isle from Men's Hosiery so after paying for the socks I ran over to grab a brick. How bad can this stuff be at $5.00 a brick?..Bad enough I was glad I didn't get greedy at the store and buy a bunch of it! In fact, I felt robbed at that price and wanting my $5.00 back! Some of it went, ''POW!'' Some, ''PEW!'' And some even went, ''K-RAK!'' Somehow though the stuff seemed to shoot almost as well at 100yds as it did at 25yds, (something I can't explain, minute of soup can at 25yds, minute of soup can at 100yds...most of the time). Funny thing is, I'm still finding partial boxs of the stuff occasionally, ''Hey, some twenty...ah, never mind. Ya want these?''

I used to hate the Thunderbolts. Dirty and lots of misfires.
    Recently, they seem to be much better. I am getting good but not excellent accuracy out of them and misfires have been nonexistent.
    They have been shooting at least as well as any of the Federal or Winchester ammunition I have been able to get.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive found Thunderbolts, Wildcats and other hypervelocity 22lr to be ok within 10 or 15yrds but after that its 3 or 4 shots to net a red squirrel. Better than not having any, though
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Recently, they seem to be much better. I am getting good but not excellent accuracy out of them and misfires have been nonexistent.
    They have been shooting at least as well as any of the Federal or Winchester ammunition I have been able to get.
    Could very well be, I spoke with the QC manager at Remington in MO about 10 years ago about some .30 Carbine brass I bought from Midway that were about half formed and he took care of it, and quick! I had a box and label the next day to send them back direct to him and 500 new brass, plus a free pair of nice Remington shooting glasses to boot within a week. I was on the phone with the guy for about 45 minutes talking guns and shooting and was favorably impressed by him. I suspect someone lost their scalp in the plant over that one.

Amateurs say Quality control, professionals say Process control. Quality comes from intensive inspection of each and every step in the mfg. process, (there are hundreds, just making .22 ammo), and taking prompt corrective action if something starts to drift off. In my career in the automotive powertrain field, corrective action often started when a dimension spread exceeded just 10% of the Tolerance. Not exceeded the Tolerance by 10%, but exceeded 10% of the Tolerance. If you work that way, you never make a bad part, and final inspection becomes irrelevant. Remington was clearly ignoring this. I know from a statistical study of Thunderbolts that I did about six years ago that they were using bullets taken from multiple swaging machines which differed in average weight by as much a 2 grains! They apparently weren't even bothering to check. Unforgivable! What else were they letting slide?

Let's hope the new owners do better.
    Last edited by uscra112; 10-10-2021 at 07:14 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

I got your point, and it's a good one. Last week I pulled some old .30WCF bullets from a box of 1950's Winchester what should have been just brass. The bullets weighed +/- 3gr. of 150gr. that's a six grain spread! Had it been more than 8, I suspect the spread would have been greater.

Boolit Grand Master
    Local WM has 22's at around $22/325 (Federal auto match) and some Winchester in a yellow box at $40 for 300 rounds. Some 12ga., 350 Legend and 7.62 x 51. Last bulk pack of shotgun shells had gone up $5/pack to just about $30. Friend bought some sp CCI's @$6.99/100 and I saw some 450's for $90 a brick.

Boolit Master

Our walmart the CCI Mags went up 3.00 per 50. They had some in stock last night. I didn't buy any i still have plenty on hand.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Around here the Remington Thunderbolts are referred to respectfully as "Thunderduds".

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Around here the Remington Thunderbolts are referred to respectfully as "Thunderduds".
    I wonder if they'll ever live that down.

If I were the marketing consultant, I'd tell 'em to just retire the brand, come up with a new name, new packaging, put better ammo in it, and move on.
    Cognitive Dissident

Ran across some Aguila super extra in 250 count boxes today at a store for $20. They had a limit of three so that is how many I purchased.
    I have never used this particular cartridge before. I have used quite a bit of Aguila target ammo with good results. It will be interesting to find out how ell this stuff shoots.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The last three times I’ve been on Walmart they have 22lr in stock. The auto match went from $18 to $22 per 350 now. There wax also a box of 300 Winchester for $40. That was a new offering I haven’t seen there before. They also had $20 of Winchester heavy game loads. I’ll pass I bought a few boxes of federal heavy game loads at Walmart three months for $10.99 a box.

Boolit Master
    cci mini mag 35grain hollow point shoot well in my 1022 and bsa martini <lucky or what> £11 per 100. the round nose mini mags are dreadful in my rifles .22lr are fussy beasts.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast