Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Reloading Henry Big Boy 38/.357M

Boolit Master

Reloading Henry Big Boy 38/.357M

Looking to reload for a new Henry Big Boy in 38/.357 Mag

What are you sizing bullets to? I haven't slugged the barrel yet, maybe this weekend.

I have a selection of 158gr-170gr flat based bullets.

I only use PC

I have been using my MP 360-640 Cramer Mold for 35R and think it's a good option.

I have a variety of powders available as well.

Have 38 & .357M brass

These would be mostly plinking loads out to 50yrds but invite heavier loads as well.

I am also looking for a heavier bullet that will work well in both the 357M & 35R like a RD design.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 04-10-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    My Henry Big Boy .38/.357 likes the 158 grain sized to .358.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I haven't had a chance to get some good range time with mine as we got stuck in AZ this past summer and the rifle was in MI - but we are heading back to MI for the summer this week so hope to get back on it

Mine does not like to feed well with 38 spl. brass - too short as far as overall length with the boolits I tried it with. Mine feeds without a flaw with 357 brass and a round nose flat point boolit. I ended up with the Lee 358-158-RF and the Lee 358-125-RF molds and both work well in the 357 brass. I also tried the Lee 358-158 SWC thinking that it might feed but after trying it with both 38 and 357 brass - switched to the other molds above.

My rifle will mostly be used for plinking, target - killing cans at a variety of distances, etc. and maybe an occasional critter. I use Red Dot quite a bit - during the last shortage it was all I could get so an 8lb jug lasts a long time.

I have a companion to the rifle - a Uberti 357 4 3/4 Bisley so I will be trying to come up with a load that will work good in both the revolver and the Henry BB for my purposes. Since I have plenty of 357 brass - I'll probably work at loading it down to 38 special levels to see how it performs. I also have a good supply of Bulls Eye and a couple of pounds of Unique to work with as well.

I have it in my loading notes but they are back in MI - I don't remember the number of the Ideal/Lyman mold that casts a RNFP boolit that has rings so it works in 357 brass or can be seated and crimped in a lower ring in 38 spl. brass to 357 cartridge over all length that will feed well in a 357 lever gun? Perhaps someone can advise on that. Again, I'm still playing with my Henry BB so it's trial and error - but it wold be nice to have a 158 grain RNFP the could be crimped in different grooves depending on 38 or 357 that would feed well. There may very well be on in Accurate's line-up as well.

I at one time had a nice NOE mold that I bought from a member here that cast a nice .358 - 200 grain RNFP. I used it in my 357 Hands Rifle and it shot very well - but sold the rifle and then the mold. I wish I had kept the mold but at the time, had no plans on a Henry 357 steel BB.

I love the Henry - hope you enjoy yours and have fun with it - an excellent rifle - well made and the action on mine works like melted butter.

Boolit Buddy
    .3585 is what my sizing die is running at now ... honed it out a tad

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Ditto
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    I'll have to see what size sizing dies I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Me too. I'm limited to Red Dot and Unique (ran out of Bullseye). So far, higher end loading on the Unique burns better and is more consistent than the Red Dot. Still a work in progress.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Baron View Post
    Me too. I'm limited to Red Dot and Unique (ran out of Bullseye). So far, higher end loading on the Unique burns better and is more consistent than the Red Dot. Still a work in progress.
    I use 5.5 grains of Unique in the .357s, and 4 grains of TrailBoss in the .38s.

Boolit Master

Unique and 180 or 158. The 180 works out to 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    358 works in my win trapper

Boolit Master
    I slugged the bore .355 with no loose spots.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for your help guys.

Boolit Buddy
    For a 357 heavy I use the RCBS-200-FN at std 1.59 OAL in mag brass with a light crimp over the ogive. Load with H-110 in my Marlin as the baby brother to my 35 Rem and 356 Win. 12.8gr chrono'd 1470 from 18.5".

For powder choices, I keep it simple - 231 for the lighter loads (38 and 357) and 296 for the heavy stuff.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.