Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measure for Bullseye

Boolit Buddy

Powder Measure for Bullseye

The 38 special wadcutter threads got me thinking about bullseye powder. I have a bunch of 38 wadcutters I would like to load with Bullseye. I never had much luck using RCBS rotor powder measure with bullseye. What do you use as powder measure for bullseye?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Powder Measure for Bullseye

I’ve had good luck with the Dillon powder measure system as well as my old Belding and Mull powder measure. My Dillon can be adjusted to be accurate throw to throw within 1/10th of a grain.

Powder bars on the Star reloaders are also fairly accurate I’ve found. I reload old HG50s 38 wadcutters very repeatably with the old Star progressive I have.

Boolit Grand Master

I use(d) the Lyman 55 since '68 with excellent results. One just needs to adjust it correctly and to use the knocker correctly and consistently. I've charges thousands of cases of various cartridges, including 38 SPLs with WCs, with Bullseye using it.

I also have found the Dillon system to be throw accurate charges of Bullseye in both my SDB and 550B.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Old Forster-Bonanza fixed rotor measure, very accurate and more user friendly than the RCBS Lil-dandy. Only negative is that it is out of production probably 30 years and if you don't have the rotor you need they are hard to find. Picked up pretty much a complete set for mine over the years as well as for my son.

Boolit Master
    I used my Redding. I use 4 gr of BE for my 9mm practrice loads, the Redding drops a charge very close to 4 grs, but not close enough or consistently enough for me, so I weigh every charge, and use my trickler. Very time consuming. Charging my 223 cases with 748 is my favorite step when reloading 223, not so when doing 9 mm.

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman 55 and if adjusted properly it is accurate and consistent
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Moderator Emeritus

Bullseye measures great in my Lee Pro-disk measure, mounted on the Lee Turret press.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    I get very consistent powder drops with the Dillon 550 measure when using Bullseye powder and small charge weights.
    When loading 38 Special wadcutters, the Dillon consistently holds the disbursed charge weight to the tenth of a grain. After filling the measure I will run 3 or 4 casings through the machine and check each charge. After the measure settles down (usually by the 3rd casing) it will hold the exact weight.
    I used to pull every 10th or 20th casing to check the charge weight. I don't even bother to do that anymore - it's never off.

When using a bench mounted rotary type measure and disbursing very small amount of powder (like say 3 grains of Bullseye), it's important to have an appropriate sized chamber for that powder measure. Many of the powder measure manufacturers offer smaller drums sized for handgun loads. These are a big help when dealing with very small charge weights.
    Don't forget, a simple powder dipper works well when you are always dealing with the same powder and same charge weight.
    You can make your own powder dipper for next to nothing.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use a Lyman 55 or a Lee Perfect - both work well. I find it meters well - like anything - consistency is everything. On the 55 I just make sure that the knocker gets the same treatment every drop.

I also use dippers with BE at times depending on what I'm loading. With dippers it is also about consistency but I find BE to be easy to use dippers with - random check with scale and easy to get good throws.

I have seven Lyman 55s, set for various charges of Bullseye.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I use my auto drum for pistol charges. I like bullseye a lot.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I use my auto drum for pistol charges. I like bullseye a lot.
    +1 on the AutoDrum with Bullseye. Autodisk with Microcharge bar has also worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have used the Redding powder measure with the pistol chamber, doesn't vary a tenth from what it's set for. I also use bushings on my CH AutoChamp and there is zero variation there. Bullseye is one of the best metering powders next to the ball powders IMO.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

My Hornady does a good job for me with anything except the IMR type stick powders.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I use old rifle brass and a small pipe cutter to make my own powder measures. The handles are made from wire I twist around the case. They work great for Bullseye. It takes a little experimenting using a powder scale to get the measure just right so you will probably end up with extra measures until you get one just right. You never have too many measures anyway.

The Bullseye granules are fine enough that I believe you could use any measure with good luck. I have two Redding measures, a Hornady/ Pacific pistol measure with the brass inserts, an RCBS Little Dandy, and a Lyman 55. They all work equally well with fine powders such as Bullseye, 231, and 748. When measuring coarse powders such as Red Dot and Unique I've found the Lyman 55 to be more accurate in it's metering than the others. Some of the newer powders, such as Tightgroup, WST, and IMR Red are either fine or thin enough to become caught between the moving parts of the looser measures. For example the old Hornady pistol measure has very loose tolerances and I limit it's use to the coarser powders. I hope this helps.

I have used my RCBS Uniflow down to 2 grains of Bullseye. I have the drum with the smaller chamber installed in one measure, and the large chamber in another for larger charges.

I have even considered creating an even smaller chambered drum for the tiny charges. I would also have to modify one of the adjustment screws to fit the smaller chamber. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee Auto Drum has eaten every powder I have thrown at it, and stayed +- .1gr.

Boolit Grand Master

Bullseye is one of those powders that meter pretty consistently. To be honest none of my powder measures vary too much with Bullseye. I own a C-H 502, Pacific Pistol Powder measure, Lee PPM, and an old Ideal (?) with slider. The C-H and the Lee will hold .1 (+/- .05) gr easily, even with light charges; like 2.9 gr. for my 38 Special wadcutter loads...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    My RCBS Uniflow only has the large rotor so it doesn't get used for anything less than 4.4 grains of W231.

The Lyman 55 can take a bit of fiddling to get set right, but once set, it works very well with small charges of Bullseye.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast