MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Obsolete rimfire talk Facebook group

Boolit Master

Obsolete rimfire talk Facebook group

For those one Facebook. FYI - The 32 Rimfire talk group has expanded to include all obsolete rimfires. A great place to discuss all those long forgotten dust gatherers and get them shooting again.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1056...537/?ref=share

Boolit Master
    WOW! only 82 members.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    WOW! only 82 members.
    Previously the group was 32 rimfire talk, which was pretty limited. By expanding to all obsolete rimfires, its open interest to many more people.

Boolit Master
    Never been involved with any facebook group, I may consider this one.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

We have already grown to 102 members

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Good to see a group about rim fires. Too many rim fire rifles are being converted to center fires or spending too much time to reform needed rim fire calibers. Roberson Cartridge Co made a special run of 32 Long RF cases for me and the owner Jeff Roberson now has a full inventory of rim fire calibers
    My latest is a Stevens 44 1/2 barrel in 25 Stevens RF that will be shooting 25-21 center fires (same caliber as the Stevens 25) ... so I don’t have to bush the block
    Regards
    John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Good to see a group about rim fires. Too many rim fire rifles are being converted to center fires or spending too much time to reform needed rim fire calibers. Roberson Cartridge Co made a special run of 32 Long RF cases for me and the owner Jeff Roberson now has a full inventory of rim fire calibers
    My latest is a Stevens 44 1/2 barrel in 25 Stevens RF that will be shooting 25-21 center fires (same caliber as the Stevens 25) ... so I don’t have to bush the block
    Is Roberts drawing rim fire cases? I don't think it is a super hard thing to do for people in the industry. Once the dies are made batches can be run off according to demand. I don't have any old rimfires but I do like to swage the old heeled bullets.

Boolit Master
    John Boy can you explain how this works? I have a good friend that has a 32 rimfire he wants to shoot. He wants to convert to center fire. This seems way better, but I am unsure his rifle will hit this offset primer.

Boolit Master

These are reloadabke 32 rimfire cases made by Jack Harrison. Roberson makes them too, and others sizes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210110_101506_copy_801x626.jpg   20210110_094016_copy_801x934.jpg   20210110_091828_copy_801x1013.jpg  

Boolit Master
    What is the primer? It looks like a 22rimfire case. Or is it special made to work with the new cases? I was thinking it would be a centerfire primer that was offset so the original firing pin would hit it. The case would have to be indexed to put the primer in the right spot????

Boolit Grand Master

To actually form rim fire cases wouldnt be to hard with the right equipment. We formed 2 piece cans from steel at 6000 a minute

First would be disc cut and cupped to some where around 3/4"-1" disc and short on length maybe 3/8" long.

This cup would then be redrawn down to rim dia and lengthening as to got smaller. It will also thicken, the materials thickness is "adjusted for this in the coil.

Then in a series of draws the body and neck are formed

Cases would be annealed 1 maybe several times but the heat generated in forming may be enough.

Then a trim and deburr.

What I have wondered about is the same route some makers go thru for obsolete center fires with lathe turned cases from bar stock. This could be done in a cnc lathe pretty quick, not as fast as the progressive die though.

Here the big issue would be the groove in the rim inside. Here if I remember the rim thickness f 22 LR is .053-.054 so rough estimate of .010 wall thickness leaves .032-.034 wide groove probably about the same depth on a side. While this ill be a small delicate boring bar it shouldnt be hard to grind and have decent life in brass. With the right grind this bar will form a shallow Vee on the case head inside ( to aid priming and cut the rim). It will also bore the inside of the case true and to size.

Here a small bench sized cnc with bar puller running and every 1/2 hour or so you go over and empty the parts catcher. LOL

Boolit Master

It's a .22 cal starter pistol blank. Yes, the case needs to be indexed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210410_133215.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    John Boy can you explain how this works?
    ebb, a picture instead is worth many words
    * They use a CNC to modify center fire caliber cases with a large primer pocket and a rim cut for the firing pin
    * Then one buys 6mm Flobert primers for ignition or a Ramset BROWN primer can also be used not requiring a powder charge
    https://www.rccbrass.com/?s=32&post_type=product

The case would have to be indexed to put the primer in the right spot????
    Yes ....
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

....... And I would be buying a life-time supply while they (starter blanks) are available !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned

Wonder how long until it gets banned/censored?

It's a good group, lots of info there.
    Hopefully ones like this don't get banned, but don't EVER try selling firearms on there. Or even mention a sale price.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    ebb, a picture instead is worth many words
    * They use a CNC to modify centerfire caliber cases with a large primer pocket and a rim cut for the firing pin
    * Then one buys 6mm Flobert primers for ignition or a Ramset BROWN primer can also be used not requiring a powder charge
    https://www.rccbrass.com/?s=32&post_type=product
    where does one buy those 6mm Floberts?

Nothing like supporting a company that wants to take away your 2A rights

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
    Nothing like supporting a company that wants to take away your 2A rights
    Got that right. Better would be to just join this group.

I would love to be able to buy .32RF long and short cartridges, but I won't support facebook in any way, shape, or form, to do it. I will be converting my Stevens boys rifles to .32 CF by making new breechblocks for them. That way I can shoot whatever I can find or make.

Bill

Boolit Buddy

6mm Flobert

Quote Originally Posted by hrt4me View Post
    where does one buy those 6mm Floberts?
    https://www.gundogsupply.com/walther...orn-blank.html

Available in many places. I reload my 25 "rimfire" with 1.9 grains of powder and a 40 grain 25 caliber air rifle slug. Really a blast.