Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand General Discussion

Boolit Master

So far the only part that I have had to replace was an extractor. But that was because I had an HRA that was 100% correct except for the extractor which was a Springfield. I did locate and find a new op rod just in case I ever needed it. Fingers crossed. I have been told I needed to find a new firing pin as they are prone to wear but I haven't found this to be a problem as yet. I am going to find a new wolfe complete spring kit to salt away.
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 04-11-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    So much excellent info above! The only thing I can add is that, for my M1, I bought a spare gas plug and machined out the center. Replacing the original gas plug with the machined out plug turns the M1 into a "pull bolt" rifle. In other words, you have to pull on the bolt to eject, then release and let the spring load the next round. Why did I do this? It gives me control over when my brass gets tossed at the neighboring shooting bench, and allows me to try many additional loads without worrying about the op rod. Of course, when I want to operate in semi-auto I just put the original gas plug back in.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a lot of M-1 experience, but a couple of decades working with M-14's. Very similar rifles.

The most aggravating thing to adjust is the tension on the rear sight pinion. Too tight and you can't adjust the sights, too loose and the elevation will fall on recoil.

M-1 pinions are calibrated in yards, M-14's (or M1A's) in meters.

Robert

Boolit Master
    My Garand has the locking bar on the rear sight. Loosen bar, adjust sights, tighten bar. Works well.

I feed mine IMR4895 and Jacketed

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Thanks guys, the bent operating rod issues worries me some. I don't know what's currently in it or what I should have. The fun has just begun, I need a M1 for dummies book.

All these comments are very useful to me, I'm gonna luv it.

Slim
    Hey Slim,
    You'll love the M1! In regards to the op rod though, by design they have two bends which are very apparent to the naked eye. Apologies if you already know that but as you say you're unfamiliar with Garands, I didn't want you to think you already had a bent (out of spec) rod. Do a "tilt test" and see how she runs (with mil-spec) ammo....more than likely you'll be happy!
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master

Great Pics Derek,
    I shot a GSM match at Quantico yesterday....this pic is from the 200yd line. These are monthly matches and I alternate Garands to give them all good exercise.
    Semper Fi
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qantico GSM 4-10-21.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	281145

avogunner,

I was at Quantico back in '72 for OCS school, actually at Camp Upshur. Would enjoy visiting it again, wonder if the old quonset huts are still being used.

I know I'm going to enjoy my M1, still looking for original accessories along with getting better acquainted with it.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    DO NOT USE FEDERAL PRIMERS !!!!
    Nor 4831 or 4350 burn rate powders!
    Use of Federal primers can result in slam fires, and slow burning powders bent op-rods.

Don’t ask me how I know about the primers.
    H4895 has given me the best performance in the Garands.
    Presently I’m using ShootersWorld Match Rifle (similar to Acc2520) and Precision Rifle (analogous to Varget) with good results.

Boolit Master
    I use Federal match primers in mine.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I enjoyed mine a lot. It’s now passed down to my eldest son. It’s nice to know a gun is going to stay in he family. My second son has my 03A3 that was passed down to me from my father.

Boolit Master
    Primer wise, I stick with cci large rifle or military spec. Powder is varget, imr 4885 and imr4064. I use military brass only to keep my loads and my wife's separate to prevent mixup. Though once my 03a3 is finished I'm going to have more fun.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I've had great luck with IMR-4064 and 168 gr. Sierra bullets.

I rarely see Garands for sale at LGSs. Yesterday the biggest one around had 12 in the rack! Somebody must have sold off their collection.

Boolit Master

I have always used Federal primer and I have not had a misfire or slam fire in 55 + years. A high primer can cause a slam fire regardless of the make of primers. Also, the Garand is designed not to slam fire and if it is in specification, it will not as the firing pin is held in place. Look at an American Gunsmithing video and it will explain this to you. I never use any powder except 4895 and never any bullets heavier than 168 grain.

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations. I've always admired the Garand - stout as a fence post, immensely strong, and designed for the sole purpose of educating hostiles. Big and heavy, she is just about all that a vigorous man can handle. The classic reference (mainly historical) is Hatcher's "Book of the Garand", which Amazon has in both hardcover and Kindle editions. Enjoy the old sweetheart!

Boolit Mold
    Use H4895 and CCI Mil-spec primers. 150 gr FMJ bullets.

Get a spare op rod spring and firing pin.

I've got the following bullets on hand along with IMR 4895. Anyone have any experience with what I have on hand? Would a bit of Dacron be ov benefit or would that be bad for the buffering system?

Sorry for the sideways pic, too dumb to fix it.

Slim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MISC 30 CAL. BULLETS.jpeg  
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    My Hornady manual lists an IMR 4895 starting load of 39.6 gr with a max load of 47.1 gr specifically for an M1 Garand and the 168 grain AMAX, so what you have should be just fine.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I've got the following bullets on hand along with IMR 4895. Anyone have any experience with what I have on hand? Would a bit of Dacron be ov benefit or would that be bad for the buffering system?

Sorry for the sideways pic, too dumb to fix it.

Slim

I do not use Data I find on the internet so use your judgment on this

Data for 3006 using a hard Primer CCI

for Brass that weighs 191-194g ...... heaver or lighter brass you might have to tweek a bit

Load 5 of the 168 amax with 46.5g of Imr 4895 as a test ....length in a new Barrel oal 3.280 +- a hair

the Speer and the Hornady 165 have no idea on max length that will not stick a bullet in the barrel
    you can use the same data .... just might have to tweak the length

the olgive for the amax is different than the fmj or sp ... load too long and you have to pull a round and you will pull out your hair trying to clean powder out of the action did it twice in one day ;(

if those 5 do not do a 100% function ... load at 47.1g Imr 4895 and try that.... or work up to 47.1g
    Last edited by Ford SD; 04-24-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    No Dacron need for those loads

function will depend of the condition of the gas system ... is it worn ?

Lube and will it pass the tilt test ?

condition of the spring ?

M1 Garand recoil Spring Proper length is 19 3/4 to 20 1/4" when new. New Wolff springs will be longer ... do not cut

If you have a older spring .......... instead of a soft recoil you will get a harder recoil
    Last edited by Ford SD; 04-27-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast