WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Reloading Handook

Boolit Mold

Reloading Handook

I was wondering if any of you fine folks had a copy of The RCBS Handbook of Shotshell Reloading. I have been trying to locate a copy of this book for two months without success. It is out-of-print, but there are numerous references to is here in the forum.

Thanks

Jake

Perhaps I can take a pic of what you’re interested in.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Perhaps I can take a pic of what you’re interested in.
    Thanks that would be great. Supposedly there are several sections for loading 12 Ga 2 3/4 federal straight walled hulls (both with the paper and plastic base wads) in a range of 7/8 to 1 1/4 lead loads.

Because this publication went out of copyright in 2017 I'd be more than happy to scan and make a .pdf of it...its only 353 pages (and some are advertising) if somebody would be willing to loan me a copy.

I'd try e-bay for a used copy. Welcome to the CB Forum.

DG

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'd try e-bay for a used copy. Welcome to the CB Forum.

DG
    unfortunately, there are none available at this time. I have even resorted to calling used book stores across the USA to try and locate a copy. It's almost like the remaining copies of this book just evaporated...lol

Boolit Grand Master

Are you looking for a specific load? Every load manual I have has data for Federal hulls with 7/8 to 1 1/4 oz lead.

Boolit Mold
    Megasupermagnum, not really the case. I've been reading the Castboolit forums and have seen repeated references to this publication and felt, if it's that full of good information I should try and get/read it. It also seems to be one of the iconic reloading manuals that should be in the collection.

Having said that, I am trying to find recipes for various loads using Federal straight (non-ribbed) hulls (both with the plastic and wound paper base wads) that were made by Rio (in their Tx facility) and shipped to Federal for completion. These hulls were mainly used for Tactical Law Enforcement 2 3/4 magnum loads (reason? I have access to thousands of the hulls from our range).

It is my understanding the book has recipes for the Federal hulls (made by Rio) using Rio primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Akula69 View Post
    Megasupermagnum, not really the case. I've been reading the Castboolit forums and have seen repeated references to this publication and felt, if it's that full of good information I should try and get/read it. It also seems to be one of the iconic reloading manuals that should be in the collection.

Having said that, I am trying to find recipes for various loads using Federal straight (non-ribbed) hulls (both with the plastic and wound paper base wads) that were made by Rio (in their Tx facility) and shipped to Federal for completion. These hulls were mainly used for Tactical Law Enforcement 2 3/4 magnum loads (reason? I have access to thousands of the hulls from our range).

It is my understanding the book has recipes for the Federal hulls (made by Rio) using Rio primers.
    BPI has a handbook with data for Rio hulls. Data for Federal Top Gun hulls is available at Federals website. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

The 12 gauge Federal paper base wad hulls used to be called Top Gun hulls. Cheddite only made them for Federal for 2-3 years or so, and the only difference is that they fit a European 209 primer, and will not accept an American size 209. Cheddite also made plastic basewad hulls, which are nearly identical to the new version of the Top Gun, which is again made by Federal. The good thing about these, is that the new Top Gun, and the Cheddite made version can use data for the Gold Medal hull. I had not heard that Federal had used any of these hulls for buckshot or slugs. As far as I know, they were only used for the cheap promo birdshot target loads. Normally the buckshot hulls are the deep base wad hulls, AKA .090" basewad.

So, for data, you can use any Federal paper basewad data for your paper basewad, or Federal Gold Medal data for your plastic basewad hulls. You will need to use a European sized primer. Likely either a Cheddite 209 (best fit) or a Fiocchi 616. Both primers can be considered weak to moderate strength, and as such I feel ok saying you can use data for Winchester 209 primers safely.

I have not heard any recommendations for the RCBS shotgun manual. I don't think I have one. I'm not saying it is bad, but it is not needed for what you want to do. The Lyman 5th edition has what you need. It has Gold Medal data from 7/8 oz poof loads to 1 1/2 oz full house magnums. It also has paper basewad data from 1 oz to 1 1/4 oz.

Boolit Grand Master

This is great free data from Federal. I like a few loads on here. The only thing is they only use Federal 209A primers, which are very strong primers. You will almost certainly be getting lower velocities and pressures with Cheddite 209's. The Gold Medal data is for plastic base, and they list the paper base as Hunting-Type hulls.

https://www.federalpremium.com/on/de...ading-data.pdf

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Megasupermagnum, I appreciate the info.

Would you say the Rio 209's are similar in brisance to the Federal 209A? I'm loading Federal Tactical hulls (made by RIO), They came originally with RIO primers as well.

Boolit Master

Have you tried Cornell Publications?

https://www.cornellpubs.com/index.php
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

If you can find Rio primers, which is not always easy, they are considered on the stronger end. I've never used them myself. Based on the data I see in the BPI advantages manual, I think you will be ok using Fed 209A data with a Rio 209 primer.