Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boolit Design for S&W Model 60

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I figured it was the NLG thing. I want my molds to have lube grooves even though I powder coat everything these days. If by some chance I was without the ability to powder coat I could still lube and shoot them.
    I get where you're coming from, and I can't fault your logic. I have concluded that, in my own situation, the ease of casting that comes with NLGs outweighs the possibility that I might lose access to powder coating. That, and I don't have the equipment to lube boolits in the first place...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    You can tumble lube any boolit with no special tools . But I have never done any NLG bullets .

Daekar, this is my go to boolit for 357's and 38 Spl's AND 38 S&W's. It is accurate in everything I ever shot it in. ( about 8 guns)Attachment 281219
    It is one of Tom's molds at Accurate Molds. It is a #358160H-D. With my mix of range lead and 2% tin, it drops 158 grs. I shoot it sized to .357 in my Smith and Wesson's with that size cylinder throats and it drops from the mold a .361 so I use it unsized in my 38 S&W and it is perfect for that. It has enough meplat to give that model 60 plenty of bite!
    Last edited by murf205; 04-12-2021 at 08:37 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Murf,
    That looks extraordinarily like the Lee 358-158 RF I have (the only mould I managed to get before the world went crazy) . I haven't had time to dial things in with it yet, but preliminary tests are encouraging. We'll find out in a few weeks when my Altamont grips arrive.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Murf,
    That looks extraordinarily like the Lee 358-158 RF I have (the only mould I managed to get before the world went crazy) . I haven't had time to dial things in with it yet, but preliminary tests are encouraging. We'll find out in a few weeks when my Altamont grips arrive.
    It does indeed look like the Lee mold. You are fortunate to have found one in today’s world! My guns don’t seem to care what powder I use. I think it may be because the rounded meplat kind of self centers onto the forcing cone, but that is only my theory.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    For those who find this thread later, I ended up modifying my design a bit more then sent it to Tom at Accurate Molds. He kindly offered to shorten it a bit since it would have been a bit over the target weight, and it is now in the catalogue as 36-159S! I placed an order for a 4-cavity brass mold and am impatiently awaiting delivery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12