RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb Question: .38 Wacutters in 9mm Luger?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a 358432 . The WC with about .1 out of the case . I started with 38 short data and worked from there . The 9mm I had , 2 of them , would both feed empty cases .
    Low recoil , full function , round holes , little groups , about 800 fps .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I agree. I regularly use it in both 9mm and 38 special.
    I have used the NOE 155 TC(ELCO) in both as well. The drawback is the lack of a crimp groove for 38 special use.
    When I use the 155TC, I crimp into the side of the boolt as much as it will let me. I haven't had any of them move yet but it could certainly happen.
    I am loading for a 9mm revolver. I am using 115 gr wadcutters sized to .356. I'm starting with 2.0 gr of WW231, should be safe. Any tips?

Another vote for the Lee 125 here. Shoots great in all my 9mm guns have loaded them as large as .359 as cast. I like the big flat front as well. But the bullet has enough ogive to load well in everything I've shot it in.

9mm's can be extremely variable size wise from small and tight to big and sloppy.

My Hipoint c9 from the pawn shop keyholed until I switched to .38 special molds. Groups went from shotgun patterns to 8 rounds inside a soda can bottom sized circle.

PS Rock Island Armory M200 or 206 are pretty nice very affordable .38 special 6 shot revolvers.
    Nothing to write home about looks wise, but solid and dependable and should be able to find one for 200-250$
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I've got some pretty grave doubts. . .

One of the auto misfeeds I see a lot at work is caused by varying degrees of weak mag spring or limp-wristing - often both together. As the pistol rotates upward in recoil, the rounds in the magazine effectively stay in place via their own inertia. This has the result of the rounds nose-diving and impacting the front wall of the magazine instead of the feed ramp. This is with what amounts to truncated cones or duty hollowpoints. Now imagine the same problem with no taper AT ALL on the bullet's nose.

All of that has to not happen BEFORE the round hits the ramp, noses up, hits the top of the chamber (think also of the edge at the throat), , noses down and fills the throat. I had a brief fling with loading the Keith 452423 .45 Auto Rim SWC bullet into 1911's - and yeah, it can be done, but it was a clear case of "exceeds design parameters".

Take a look at the NOE TL357-135RF or it's Accurate equivalent, the 35-135D if you want blunt force trauma in a 9mm bullet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9mm Ranch Dog Jug 9 recover 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	306627
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by highpower223 View Post
    I am loading for a 9mm revolver. I am using 115 gr wadcutters sized to .356. I'm starting with 2.0 gr of WW231, should be safe. Any tips?
    It would depend somewhat on the individual revolver. My S&W 929 headspaces off the moon clips rather than the case mouth. It has no ledge for the case to run into.
    This means I can load any boolit out to the end of the cylinder in theory. It works in practice with the boolits I have used.
    For a revolver, pretty much any boolit that can be used in a 9mm case will work.
    I don't have any experience with the particular boolit you mentioned here in a 9mm case. I used some in 38 special and they worked well.
    I see no reason they would not work well in a 9mm revolver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12