WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .36 caliber Thompson Center rifle

As others mentioned, patched round ball and bark em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking that a .360 sized wadcutter worked for what you are wanting to do.................Curdog

Banned

I have a very light .38 Wadcutter mold somewhere, something like 60 grains. I doubt I still have any bullets cast from it, but it might make for a nice small game getter.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a bad time to be looking for store bought boolits, but, 38 hollow base wadcutters will amaze you. A friend with a background in 58 muskets bought a TC Seneca a long time ago. That gun with hbwc's was as good as it gets out to 50 yards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    It's a bad time to be looking for store bought boolits, but, 38 hollow base wadcutters will amaze you. A friend with a background in 58 muskets bought a TC Seneca a long time ago. That gun with hbwc's was as good as it gets out to 50 yards.
    I think I have a few commercial hollow base wadcutters to try . Did your friend patch them at all or did the hollow base bump up on firing enough by itself?

A round ball is as good as it gets for squirrels and other small game. That's all I've ever used in the .36 and the .32. Use a lighter powder charge if you're worried about tearing the critter up too much.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    Still have my Seneca! Love that rifle.

If you can find some buckshot online....mostly everything is scarce now.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Boolit Master
    If you have trouble finding 350 round balls, I use them for my Seneca and for my buckshot loads. Always plenty on hand. Let me know if you need some.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Cast .350" or buckshot will work just fine. While I've mostly used a .32 for squirrels my favorite is now a .36. The .36 should be used either for head shots or mid body shots; too much damage if the hindquarters or shoulder area is hit. My .32 did no more damage than the .22LR HPs I used to use. Start with light charges and go up until you get squirrel head groups at 35 yards. Began at 10 grains of 3F (or equivalent sub charges). My .36 really loves 30 grns but 20 grns is just as accurate at 35 yards and more in line for small game. And why in the world try to "bark" bushytails with that tiny ball when a head shot is easier and always results in either an instant kill or a clean miss. I spent one afternoon a few years ago shooting plastic coke bottles at 80 yards with my .36 squirrel load (20 grns). As long as I allowed for the 4" or so drop at that range I hit it every time.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

i had all three calibers,32-36-45 in the small TC,s(all in ex condition), i was offered big buck for them and sold two the 32-36 and kept the 45 at,s legal here for deer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12