RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s up with RCBS?

I have a RCBS Pro Melt 2, I bought a couple of years ago. It works great so far. The biggest down side is waiting for it to cool to under 160 degrees before turning it off, as per the instructions.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I have a RCBS Pro Melt 2, I bought a couple of years ago. It works great so far. The biggest down side is waiting for it to cool to under 160 degrees before turning it off, as per the instructions.
    I use an electronic timer for that. Hit the 4 hour button and walk away...of course I set the pot to 0 first.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That would be a downgrade. I'd recommend staying with Lee, or going for a better pot.
    What would be the better pot?

Quote Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
    I love my Waage pot and Rowell ladle for my large boolit casting. The Promelt gets used for the little stuff.
    Which Rowell do you use? I’d need to be able to fill a 6-cavity 230-grain.

Veral Smith of LBT has been a proponent of ladle-casting.

Personally I find it a lot more ergonomic than hunching down to try and see to align sprue holes and spout.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If you get desperate , gas stove will melt lead ... I didn't say that .
    Actually I wouldn’t mind going that route if I could run a 40 lb pot.

Then I could cast out at the farm where there’s no electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Actually I wouldn’t mind going that route if I could run a 40 lb pot.

Then I could cast out at the farm where there’s no electricity.
    If that is the case and you don't mind ladle casting get a turkey fryer. The higher pressure(?) red regulator is usually preferred.

As for hunching over using a bottom pour, I use a kitchen cabinet height bench and an office chair that lines me up fairly close. I think the key to lining up the spout is good light under the pot.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    If that is the case and you don't mind ladle casting get a turkey fryer. The higher pressure(?) red regulator is usually preferred.

As for hunching over using a bottom pour, I use a kitchen cabinet height bench and an office chair that lines me up fairly close. I think the key to lining up the spout is good light under the pot.
    I have the fryer, but propane is pricey.

You could clean and lap the rod to the seat. That will help a bit. Adding some weight to the wire that lifts the rod will help.
    Some have placed the rod on the other side of the wire. This may point the rod straighter into the spout.
    I had a Pro Pot years ago. It leaked but I learned to work around it. It's 10 LB. capacity was ok if you weren't making a lot at a time. Going to the 4-20 I have now was a great upgrade. It drips very seldom as long as I use clean alloy. The 20 lb. capacity lets you get more boolts cast in a session.
    If you don't mind ladle casting you can empty your pot, removethe handle and rod. I'm not sure if you can remove the spout, if you can do so and replace it with a short bolt with a shank big enough to fill the hole. Gring the head down so it's shorter and rounded. Makes it easier to stir the alloy without catching on the bolt.
    If you can't remove the spout you can plug it permanently by threading the hole in the spout from the bottom to what ever size small bolt that will fit.
    Then you use it as a ladle pot.
    Even if you get another pot dfoing this lets you keep some alloy melted so when your main pot gets low you add the molten alloy from the lee pot to the maiun pot, then add ingots to theLee pot. This helps the main pot stay at casting temp or at least it can retur to castig temp quickly.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I have the fryer, but propane is pricey.
    Do you have natural gas at your farm? If so there are several videos on you tube to convert to natural gas. I figured you were talking propane stove when you said you "could cast out at the farm where there’s no electricity".

You could also look into building a waste oil burner.

Boolit Master
    That long shut down on the RCBS pot seems like a problem with the engineering dept. to me.
    I don't understand why they brought it to market like that. It looks like a very nice pot and it's not cheap makes no sense to me to have that silly shutdown procedure .

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    That long shut down on the RCBS pot seems like a problem with the engineering dept. to me.
    I don't understand why they brought it to market like that. It looks like a very nice pot and it's not cheap makes no sense to me to have that silly shutdown procedure .
    If you are referring to waiting for it to cool to 160 degrees, I believe that has to do with the pid being in the housing with the actual pot. I believe it is to protect the electronics.

This is pure speculation on my part.

Boolit Master

If you are referring to waiting for it to cool to 160 degrees, I believe that has to do with the pid being in the housing with the actual pot. I believe it is to protect the electronics.

This is pure speculation on my part.
    You are correct. Also if you just shut it down it can damage one of the fans that keep the PID cool.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    If the PID is that sensitive they are using the wrong one. I use them in commercial applications all the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12