Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help! Old MEC 200 questions

Need help! Old MEC 200 questions

I found an old MEC 200 today in a shop. Seems to be complete except it is missing the priming cup and maybe the sizer stem. They are asking $60.00. Not sure if this is worth the price and need advice.

1) will the priming cup for the MEC 600 jr fit this press?
    2) any idea of age of this press?
    3) what are the differences between the 200 and the 600?
    4) is it worth the asking price?
    5) can the sizing piece be found?
    6) will the 302 series charge bars work on this press?

Thanks in advance for your comments,
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    Call Mec for info, they will probably have parts.

I called MEC. The gentleman I spoke with laughed and told me tha the 200 was 55 to 60 years old and there are no parts available. I asked about the 302 series charge bar and he said I would have to buy one and try it to find out. He didn't know if they would work or not. He also didn't know if the 600 series priming cups would work or not. He did say that the crimp starters would not fit.

So I am still at square one. I was hoping someone here would have had a 200 and would know.
    If anyone has one that might work for replacement parts I might be interested. I shoot cowboy action (SASS) and can't find shot shells anywhere. My only option is to reload. I found shot and wads, have lots of powder. Presses are the hard thing to find.
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    Midway has the Lee loadall 2 3/4" 3" shot shell loader for like $72.99. Free shipping. I just looked it up. Actually it is $72.99. It is a little slow but it works. When crimping you have to position the shell by hand, It's kind of a feel thing.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 04-08-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks. That may be my best bet. I kinda like resurrecting old stuff and the 200 might be a fun project. But I won't start it unless I know I can find the parts.

I'll probably go the Lee route unless I hear something on the 200.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master

I would NOT buy this press for $60.00

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/250.pdf

The primer cups are the same as the 600 JR
    https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/...600JrMark5.pdf
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Wonder how close that is to the MEC 250. I have a few spare parts sitting around./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Would it be possible to post a picture of what you have.

I put together a MEC 250 once. Lot of parts for the 600 worked with it.

If I didn't have it in hand, I'd move on. Love the old MECs. Bought a 250 about the early 60s and the boy's still loading with it. Makes good shells./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    I found an old MEC 200 today in a shop. Seems to be complete except it is missing the priming cup and maybe the sizer stem. They are asking $60.00. Not sure if this is worth the price and need advice.

1) will the priming cup for the MEC 600 jr fit this press?
    2) any idea of age of this press?
    3) what are the differences between the 200 and the 600?
    4) is it worth the asking price?
    5) can the sizing piece be found?
    6) will the 302 series charge bars work on this press?

Thanks in advance for your comments,
    Sam Sackett

I’ll try to get back to the shop and see if it’s still there. They aren’t open very much for some reason. It may take me a week or so, but I’ll get some pics if it’s still there.

I pulled up the drawing for the 250 and it looks about the same. The thing I didn’t understand was the sizer. Is that a separate sleeve type like the Lee LoadAll?

Sam

Hey Sam, first love your Mustache!

Second offer them $20, and if they don't go for it, then walk. For $20 it probably could be made to work. $60 is way too much.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Ok, guys. I stopped back at the shop today. They had the model 200 tagged. Some guy bought it but hasn’t picked it up. I verified that it did not have the casing sizer or the primer assembly. They sold it fir $65. Wish the guy luck.

Beagle, thanks for the offer of spare parts. If I find another I’ll send you a note. At least I had a learning experience with this one. I know a lot more about MEC loaders now!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master

Sam you have the same problem that I have. I have 2 MEC 400's that are complete except of the final sizing chamber which is a separate die not attached to the machine. Nobody but nobody seems to have one for sale. My 2 machine are 12 gauge and 16 gauge. Really good condition just need the final size die. I wonder if the 200 and the 400 used the same dies? I tried to talk to a MEC person on the phone but got almost no information out of her. Most of her answers were; I am not familiar with that machine, We have no schematics, we have no spare parts, I don't know where you can find parts for your machine, etc. Her advice over and over was to buy a modern MEC machine. james

TNsailorman,

See my earlier post about a MEC rep. Heard the same thing......
    Looking at the drawings of the pre '82 "600" series, I would think the 200, 250, Etc, are very similar. Wouldn't surprise me if the ones that use a removable sizer all take the same one.
    It's my belief that the old units all use the same priming assembly and probably the sizer. The separate sizer got incorporated into the 600 units. The priming assembly for the 250 and the 600 both call for a #325 unit. This is per old drawings from the MEC website.

Hopefully that helps with your search. Beagle might chime in. He may know if the sizer unit is anywhere to be found.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master

Sam I never had a 200 or 250 that I could compare to the 400 but I have an idea that they are very close to the 400 in dimensions and operation. I may order a 600 jr finish die and see if it will fit on my press, if so, my problems are solved. james

TNsailorman,

Check out this page. It has manuals for MEC loaders from 250 up to current. There are parts lists in them and pictures that may help you compare different models.

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/owners-manuals-sr

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    When you're talking about the final sizing die, is that the one they claim puts a taper on the hull for better chambering? I had a problem with mine on a MEC Grabber while using Win HS hulls. Would crush the hulls even though it was backed way up. Called MEC and the guy said "Take that thing out of there, it don't do nuthin". So I did and the shells chamber just fine, even in a semi-auto.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

Sam, That site is how I found out that it was the #448 die that I needed to complete my machines. I made a complete copy of the instructions for the Model 400 some time ago but I just cannot find a 448 die. By the way, the 448 works for both the 16 gauge and the 12 gauge. That is a great site . james

OK. Well I tried. That's about the end of my knowledge about the MEC loaders. I'm going to keep digging in, cause I intend to have one in the future.

Good luck in your search. Wish I could have helped more.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master

Sam and others. Hey, it is good to talk to the good folks on this site. And you did help, I learn from those who share information and you did that. I had forgotten about that MEC site until you posted it and I had also about given up on the 400's and you restored my interest in them again. So, yes, you did help. Thanks, james

Boolit Master

That 448 "die" is probably the same one I had on the 250. I'll look the next few days and see if I have one. If I do, we'll get together by PM and e-mail and see if the thing fits, Be glad to give it to you to get yours up and running again. Loved the 250 for loading paper shells so when I got back into loading shells, I bought three Sizemasters and let #2 son have the 250 and later picked up another in a trade. Don't believe they changed the parts significantly until the MEC 600 so we might be in luck./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Sam, That site is how I found out that it was the #448 die that I needed to complete my machines. I made a complete copy of the instructions for the Model 400 some time ago but I just cannot find a 448 die. By the way, the 448 works for both the 16 gauge and the 12 gauge. That is a great site . james

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast