Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roto-metals

Boolit Master

roto-metals

went on their site yesterday just to see what they had. i thought that the prices were extremly high. then i saw what they wanted for shot. $150.00 delivered for 2 - 25# bags. i can still get it locally (same west coast brand) for $37.00-$40.00, picked up. the shipping cost of their shot would probably be less than $20.00. talk about price gouging!!! glad that i have around 800-900 pounds of alloy and 200 of lead

Boolit Master

price gouging as I understand it is when a seller inflates their prices during a shortage or emergency. From my watching, their prices are largely unchanged in the last couple years, excepting market/commodity prices for their raw materials. If I didn't like their prices I wouldn't buy from them, but casually throwing around terms like 'price gouging' is unwarranted IMO.

the common definition reads as:
    Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. Usually, this event occurs after a demand or supply shock. Common examples include price increases of basic necessities after natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some jurisdictions of the United States....
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Cast Boolits Owner

Depending on the shot, ballistic products has it for ~$46.80 per 22lb bag + shipping. 2 bags of an in stock shot (#6) is $93.60 plus $66.94 ground shipping to my zip for a total of $160.54. In this situation appears Rotometals is a deal.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Good stuff- like chilled, magnum shot has always been high.

Back when the scrap yards paid 9 cents a pound for Lead, a 25-ish pound bag of chilled/magnum shot was $40. at the LGS.

For our modern, enlightened times--- Roto's price doesn't look bad at all.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Roto has always been high, compared to S&S on here and scrap yards.

But their stuff is guaranteed pure to their published alloy data.

I haven't really seen "gouging" by them.

If you need it, buy it. Or shop around.

Boolit Master

Rotometals has always taken care of me. Compared to other companies that are in the same business they are very competitive.

Boolit Master

I'm glad I was able to find my shot maker a couple years back.
    I'm able to make shot for myself and a few on here, it's not perfect, but then again neither are my shooting skills.

I have about $300 tied up in my setup, and have probably made 150lbs in the last two years.

My biggest problem now is the cost of COWW, I have been able to make shot from pure Pb.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

The same shot delivered for 2 bags of magnum shot on March 2 was $117. I bought 2 bags. 28% increase in a month is excessive. BPI has always been 25% higher than anyone on shot.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Rotometals has always taken care of me. Compared to other companies that are in the same business they are very competitive.
    Same here. I've always been satisfied.

Boolit Master
    i retract my price gouging statement. but, let me say that their price for 50# of lead shot is WAY overpriced. it is thed same west coast shot that i can buy (still) locally for $40.00 per bag that = $80.00 for 2 bags. they want $150.00 shipped for the same 2 bags. you do the math. i'm glad that i will never need them for anything!

Boolit Grand Master

I see people over and over claiming they can get good lead shot for $40 or less. Where? I'd love to find such a store. You can thank Barrack Obama completely for the price of lead shot. It wasn't that long ago I found an receipt for lead shot I bought from Ballistic Products in 2007. It was $26.xx for a 25 pound bag of Lawrence magnum shot, and that was not the best price there was at the time, that was their normal price. Fast forward to just 2012, and the same Lawrence shot was already over $50 a bag. Eventually after 2016ish things started to drop somewhat. Once in a great while I was able to find a great deal on shot for $45 a bag or so, and bought a number of bags at that price.

It has been 10+ years since I have seen a bag of new lead shot, in store or on line for $40 or less a bag. Even recycled shot has been that, although I have seen a few at around $35 a bag if I were to drive half way across the country to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    their price for 50# of lead shot is WAY overpriced. it is thed same west coast shot that i can buy (still) locally for $40.00 !
    I'd double check to be sure you are comparing apples to apples.
    If ya found a great deal, buy all ya can, it sounds too good to last.

Keep in mind:
    There is different grades and alloys of shot.
    And different prices to go with them.

My Dad used to say, "It's easy to find cheap stuff cheap. It takes a little more effort to find good stuff for cheap".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-09-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    the last i called a disstributer in ebensburg pa. (a few days ago) they were in question as to what the next price will be. as of last week a friend went there . he said 36- 40 dollars a bag depending on the brand of shot. west coast shot is of a little higher quality. having shot a little less than 300,000 ATA targets; i know a little about shot prices and quality. if roro metals treats you good, i don't care. i just know that their prices are MUCH higher than other vendors that deal in clay target components.

Boolit Grand Master

A distributer? As in you have to buy a pallet to get those prices?

Boolit Master
    I’ve bought shot from our distributors in the last few months three or four times and it’s always been $34.99 or $35.99 and as long as we get ten or more bags the shipping is never more than $5 a bag . Now that’s my cost of I put it out for resale well it’s going to be noticeably MORE ! However all we’ve ordered has been for myself or another guy in the shop .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    the last i called a disstributer in ebensburg pa. (a few days ago) they were in question as to what the next price will be. as of last week a friend went there . he said 36- 40 dollars a bag depending on the brand of shot.
    We’ve flown up three times in a friends plane to the airport right across the highway from the distributer you mention . They bring it over to us for an additional $10 we hand them a check load it and then fly away like we’re carrying drugs LOL’s . Now I’ve not been up to buy from them in over two years . Bought A LOT of powder from them . Never more than ten bags of shot on the plane .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Haven't looked at Cabela's lately but I was scamming them right along with their coupons and military discount. Haven't received many coupons since Bass Pro took 'em over./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Care to share the info on this dealer?

Boolit Master

$160 today for 50 lbs shipped
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Hardball alloy - Rotometals $ 3.78 with 10% discount. Missouri. bullet $2.35

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast