Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Herter's 209 primers

Boolit Master

Herter's 209 primers

In moving and unpacking I discovered that I have approximately 875 Herters 209 primers. Box says "Made in America". These primers are at least 60 years old. Does anyone have any idea what new primer they are similar to or how I should use them in reloading at least target/light hunting loads. These primers may have been purchased by my parents when I was in high school. Also found some Remington 57 primers. Not sure I could ever find hulls that use them. Moving and unpacking is a wonderful experience. Racks to hold most reloading/shooting/hunting stuff are coming Friday. May find more wonderful stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a brick of Alcan 209's, read some ware that they are hotter but never seen a comparison chart. Also have a brick of the old 57's.
    Shaune509

Boolit Grand Master

I cant say I've ever seen a Herters 209 listed in a manual. Back in the 60's, and earlier, shotgun primer sizes were all over the map. If data listed it at all, it usually listed whatever primer fit the hull. It wasn't until about the 70's that data really started specifying different 209s, and not to interchange them.

If you use data for a Federal 209a, you will almost certainly be safe.

Boolit Master
    Remington 57's will fit Rem hulls from the 60's. I've got some 28 gage hulls that I use for skeet but I just stuff a 209 in there. Have to take the spring in a MEC 8567 Grabber down to solid to get it in there.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

Last fall I gave an unopened brick of those - along with with some old Alcan 220s - to a friend when he couldn't find primers locally and haven't heard any complaints so I guess they worked okay for his practice loads.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Back when I used to stuff shotshells, a 209 was a 209 no matter what brand. I never noticed any difference-- maybe just got lucky.

Remington hulls used smaller diameter primers back then. Do they still?? I've got a bunch of CCI 109's, and they measure about .010" less than the 209's I've got. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.