RepackboxTitan ReloadingADvertise hereRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading UK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 24 30-30 over 20 gauge

Boolit Master
    I was only discussing these guns tonight with a mate, I am looking at one in 22 over 410. I wish I had one when I was young and did a lot of pigeons in the scrub, as a young kid I hunted them with a single shot 22 and only got one out of each group I found and the shot barrel would have given me two. To answer your question on why to keep it, it was your dad and you will have the gun longer than you will have him sadly. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't know they made a .30-30/12 ga. I would have preferred that and may have kept it. I am not much of a 20 ga. fan. For birdshot 20 ga. is okay but for buckshot and slugs I'll stick with 12 ga.

The .30-30 AI over a 12 ga. likely would have been a keeper... but maybe not... I don't recall what I sold it or traded it to get. You know how that goes! I have gotten rid of too many guns I wish I had kept.

Longbow

Vendor Sponsor

I didn't know they made a 30-30 anything. Never seen any Centerfire Top Barrel for those guns. All I've seen since I became aware of them was a .22 rimfire over 12 or 20 ga.

A .30-30/12 or 20 ga.(preferably 12 ga.) could be an excellent Survival Gun/Pot Gun. You could shoot anything with it!

I have an M6 scout that is .22 LR over .410, and it is very handy, but not in the smae league as a .30-30/12 ga.

The outfit that is now making the M6 Scout gun is making one with a .357 top barrel. which could add some power to it. I have some .410 Slugs that are running pretty fast and they are up to .357 power.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I read this post 2 days ago & got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.
    Back in the '50s (around '55-56) my friend had a #24 in 22RF/410. Back then the space between the bbls. was covered. The .22RF bbl was as accurate as any .22RF that I've ever shot. From prone I'd shoot 12Ga. empties of a fence post about 35-40 yds. away consistently. The only weak link was the bbl selector system (that the reason it was in my possession to repair).

Fast forward to the late '80s: I had an opportunity to buy the almost identical gun stocked in what Savage called Tenite (plastic). It was the earliest version of the plastic stock era.The metal was in good shape , but the blue job was worn. Back then I had the eyesight & ability to re-stock in walnut.

I passed on the opportunity to buy for $100.00. I need a good kicking the rear for not buying that gun.

That gun is in the group of 6 of guns I should have bought or should not have sold.

Very good friend of mine has a 12/30-30. He usually shoots under 100yds and he will honestly shoot the 150gr. WW silvertips into a 3 shot group where all holes are touching @50yds. Didn't believe it, so I shot it. Made a believer out of me. His last box of silvertips netted 19 deer. He said the miss was when he was trying to put one between the does eyes @100yds ish, but must have pulled it a bit as he missed.

LGS has a 357/20ga, but they want $800 for it.

Boolit Grand Master

In ILL-nois we are supposed to have only one gun hunting. So the .22 / 20 gauge Savage fills the bill if I might be out popping crows flying or sitting where the critter cop might be an issue.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12