RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 24 30-30 over 20 gauge

Boolit Master
    I was only discussing these guns tonight with a mate, I am looking at one in 22 over 410. I wish I had one when I was young and did a lot of pigeons in the scrub, as a young kid I hunted them with a single shot 22 and only got one out of each group I found and the shot barrel would have given me two. To answer your question on why to keep it, it was your dad and you will have the gun longer than you will have him sadly. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't know they made a .30-30/12 ga. I would have preferred that and may have kept it. I am not much of a 20 ga. fan. For birdshot 20 ga. is okay but for buckshot and slugs I'll stick with 12 ga.

The .30-30 AI over a 12 ga. likely would have been a keeper... but maybe not... I don't recall what I sold it or traded it to get. You know how that goes! I have gotten rid of too many guns I wish I had kept.

Longbow

I didn't know they made a 30-30 anything. Never seen any Centerfire Top Barrel for those guns. All I've seen since I became aware of them was a .22 rimfire over 12 or 20 ga.

A .30-30/12 or 20 ga.(preferably 12 ga.) could be an excellent Survival Gun/Pot Gun. You could shoot anything with it!

I have an M6 scout that is .22 LR over .410, and it is very handy, but not in the smae league as a .30-30/12 ga.

The outfit that is now making the M6 Scout gun is making one with a .357 top barrel. which could add some power to it. I have some .410 Slugs that are running pretty fast and they are up to .357 power.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I read this post 2 days ago & got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.
    Back in the '50s (around '55-56) my friend had a #24 in 22RF/410. Back then the space between the bbls. was covered. The .22RF bbl was as accurate as any .22RF that I've ever shot. From prone I'd shoot 12Ga. empties of a fence post about 35-40 yds. away consistently. The only weak link was the bbl selector system (that the reason it was in my possession to repair).

Fast forward to the late '80s: I had an opportunity to buy the almost identical gun stocked in what Savage called Tenite (plastic). It was the earliest version of the plastic stock era.The metal was in good shape , but the blue job was worn. Back then I had the eyesight & ability to re-stock in walnut.

I passed on the opportunity to buy for $100.00. I need a good kicking the rear for not buying that gun.

That gun is in the group of 6 of guns I should have bought or should not have sold.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very good friend of mine has a 12/30-30. He usually shoots under 100yds and he will honestly shoot the 150gr. WW silvertips into a 3 shot group where all holes are touching @50yds. Didn't believe it, so I shot it. Made a believer out of me. His last box of silvertips netted 19 deer. He said the miss was when he was trying to put one between the does eyes @100yds ish, but must have pulled it a bit as he missed.

LGS has a 357/20ga, but they want $800 for it.

Boolit Grand Master

In ILL-nois we are supposed to have only one gun hunting. So the .22 / 20 gauge Savage fills the bill if I might be out popping crows flying or sitting where the critter cop might be an issue.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Moderator Emeritus

If the 20 gauge is 3" I would hunt with the 30-30 1st shot and a 3" slug for backup. I really like my 22/20 gauge.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Years back, in the late '70s I was hunting with mine on the opening morning of the season. It was loaded with a 170 grain jacketed in the rifle tube and a 3" slug in the shotgun barrel. A young buck came by at about 25 yards. I fire the .30-30 at it, hitting it below the spine on the back edge of the shoulder. It dropped. As I started walking towards it, holding the gun at a low ready, I flipped the selector switch to the shotgun. When I was about 5 yards away, the buck suddenly came to it's feet. Cocking the hammer I fired from the waist. The 20 gauge slug hit the deer in the abdomen. The skin split blowing most of the contents out of the abdominal cavity. The stomach came out whole. The buck went down and stayed there this time. It was very impressive to me.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Buddy
    I can understand your thoughts as a young man. In the early 1980's they were not "cool" guns. Certainly not a Winchester 94, Remington 742, much less a Winchester Model 70. But sometimes a person's tastes and perceptions change. And it is part of your youth.

I would counsel shooting it some, before you make a decision to sell it.

Boolit Master

I have my dad's .22LR/.410 with the plastic stock that is warped. .22 is still very accurate but the barrel and receiver have both lost the bluing. I should change the stock out for wood.

I have a 22mag/20 and a 30-30/ 20. The 22Mag is very accurate with open sights. I haven’t shot the 30-30 since I was 13, it was replaced by a Winchester model 70 carbine in 250 savage, which my son still shoots. The 30-30 was accurate. I do like the platform and think they are useful. The 410/410 savage I have is my absolute favorite shotgun out of the many I have.

Boolit Master
    The 30/30 barrel can be downloaded to shoot a .32 cal. lead pistol bullet or a .308 round ball and can be a lot of fun to shoot especially with a young boy.
    Unless you don't like that sort of thing Just saying

Boolit Buddy
    I think one in a .223/20 would be about the only good reason to have anything chambered in a .223.

Its kinda funny to read this thread as I am in the middle of a project with one in .22lr/.410. Several years ago I found it under a bed at the in-laws covered in about an inch of dust and rusted shut. I took it to see if I could get it back into shooting form and made it about as far as getting it disassembled and de-rusted. Then all the pieces got put in a box and three moves later I found it again and decided it was time to finish it. Somehow three springs got lost over the years but an order with numrich is on the way so all that's left is figuring how to refinish it. I'm thinking maybe a can of durablue will be the easiest.

The plan is for this to be a beginner rabbit gun for the kids.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Actually the easiest that is worth doing is Exhaust Manifold Paint. It is similar to Cera-Kote.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Actually the easiest that is worth doing is Exhaust Manifold Paint. It is similar to Cera-Kote.

Randy
    What brand?

Boolit Master
    If any of you are interested, it’s up for sale. Talked about it with siblings. None of us want it.

WTS Savage 24V 30-30/20 ga
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    I always wanted one of those 24's. many of the earlier ones have cracked stocks. there was a weak spot in them is what I always figured.
    seems some of them have sights that are right on the money for both barrels and others will leave you wanting when it comes to placing accurate shots.
    one time when there were 4 different ones available at a local shop I was about to take one home till I read chuck hawks write up on them.
    however I know that there are lots of folks including some very rural alaskans that rely on the 24 not only to keep themselves fed but for protection from predators.
    one great thing is how solid the function is, when the trigger is pulled one of the barrels will go bang.

Boolit Master
    Oh,I had one in the 90's. Selector was in the hammer, it was 22 a Hornet / 12 gauge. Hornet was very accurate, I remember I loaded it almost to 223 velocities.

Should have kept that gun,I have a "thing" for combination guns... and double barrels... I now have a 7x65r / 20 gauge Merkel.

I had one - .357 MAX over 20 ga. Sold it to a collector.

Jim

Boolit Mold
    I have one in 22lr/410 from the 50’s I believe, I have had it for years and finally replaced the stock as a cousin dropped it and split the stock, just bought one at an auction a 24v in 30/30 over 20 gauge and can’t wait to get it and try it out.
    1907 351 Winchester and 1910 401 Winchester, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12