RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Governor - Reasons to love it?

Boolit Mold

S&W Governor - Reasons to love it?

Had this thing for 10 years or so; thought it would be all kinds of useful.
    Admittedly has its place, being it fires 410's, 45 ACPs, 45 LCs. Mine spends time bedside, in the truck, or camper.
    But I struggle with giving it its due respect or range time.

Anybody have any advice for how to love this wheelgun?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatball357 View Post

Squirrel and snake removal. Makes you smile every time.

Boolit Grand Master
    My cousin has one of the Taurus Judges. The only use I can see for one is up close snake removal.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, sell it and purchase something that is useful and that you like.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

If you have to try that hard to like it, my advice is the same as M-Tecs.

Boolit Buddy
    Keep an eye on Short Lane and buy some chamber adapters for it. I had one for about a year before a buddy talked me out of it. It shot well enough and it's fairly light thanks to the scandium frame. One of my reasons for going to a 10mm/.40 revolver is that I can use large and small primers in the same gun. Same bullet and powder just different case and primer. Right now there is a huge perk to versatile muti cartridge firearms.

The Gov carries great in a Hill People Gear Kit Bag for hiking/camping.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, can't think of a single reason.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Beat me to it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Moderator Emeritus

Had this thing for 10 years or so; thought it would be all kinds of useful.
    Admittedly has its place, being it fires 410's, 45 ACPs, 45 LCs. Mine spends time bedside, in the truck, or camper.
    But I struggle with giving it its due respect or range time.

I love mine....it rides with me on my tractor; my UTV; and my nightstand....it is perfect for what it is designed for. I cant imagine being without mine as it is a tool as valuable to me around the farm as my tractors and utv!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    Well I suppose one could argue that it's nice to have possessions uglier than oneself, but other than that, I couldn't think of any reason to be even mildly in like with a Judge or Governor.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    One specialty use and one only.

If you live in a city apartment with cardboard walls and need something to repel boarders that won’t take out the family across the hall in the process, it’ll do.

I once threw a pop can out ten yards and a friend unloaded his Taurus Judge on it. Got a very impressive dust cloud that obscured the can and rose two or three feet.

As he ejected the .410 shells, I walked over and picked up the can. There was one shot puncture in it. One.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I also agree.

Boolit Mold
    Good feedback. Well, that's pretty much my view too.

But I'm not inclined to sell any firearms in this day & age - even if it needs sold.

Probably use Rintinglen's rationale to keep it around....that one hits home!

Boolit Master
    I like them because I have seen an increase in .45 Colt brass and 2.5" AA shotshell hulls at the range since people starting shooting them.

Boolit Buddy
    000 buck shot shoots pretty well from my dad's Taurus Judge. 3, 35 caliber holes in a clover leaf at 10 yards.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Buddy
    Federal claims their Personal Defense 410 Handgun round will launch four 000 round balls at 850 ft/s. How does that compare to a single Gold Dot from, say, a .38 snubby?

Let's assume equal velocities and that the Gold Dot expands to 0.50". Then the expanded Gold Dot has about the same sectional density as the round ball and should penetrate to about the same depth. The four round balls will have twice the combined cross-sectional area. But the expanded JHP crushes tissue more efficiently. Total wound mass should be about the same -- with maybe a slight advantage for the round balls.

Given a solid center of mass shot, the four round balls have a much greater chance of hitting something "vital." Big advantage for the round balls.

Given a complete miss, the unexpanded Gold Dot has about twice the energy and about twice the sectional density of a .36 caliber round ball. So, the Gold Dot has a much greater chance of penetrating a couple layers of wall board and doing damage on the other side. Another plus for the round balls.

So, maybe the Governor deserves more love as a bedside companion.

Boolit Master

Every gun has a use. Keep lookin...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I've only fired Judges, their .45 Colt accuracy was lackluster and .410 pattern pathetic. An 18" cylinder Rossi .410 destroyed a can at 20 feet, the Judge barely peppered one. I'd sell the Governor in this market if it was extra to my needs.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

As a prized exhibit in the Museum of How Not to Do Things?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Well I think that they are still great self defense guns for close in shooting. I use the special self defense .410 gauge pistol loads in mine. The little Taurus Judge Public Defender actually fits well in the pocket of my painter pants jeans. The S&W Governor works great for an at night next to the bed gun too. The thugs nowadays try running up fast to get the jump on you so you really have very little time to get any gun out to defend yourself and it will be at point blank range too. Besides the .410 special pistol buckshot loads are still quite potent to use for self defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast