MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Casing Jackets for CH4D bullet swage set

Banned

Casing Jackets for CH4D bullet swage set

Does anyone know if converted brass casing for jackets will work in CH4D bullet swaging sets? I have a .44 cal. Looking to use 40 S&W brass casing jacket maker from RCE. If anyone knows, I’d appreciate it.

I've made a couple thousand .429" diameter bullets using .40 S&W cases as jackets, using CH-4D swaging dies. Just be sure to fully anneal them. There's a sticky above about using 9mm to make .40, and it's the same process.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    Thanks ReloaderFred I am going to buy that set with confidence now.

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent

I don't use a Jacket Maker die. I just use the two dies in the CH-4D set as they're intended to be used, only instead of using commercial jackets, I just use annealed .40 S&W cases for jackets.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I don't use a Jacket Maker die. I just use the two dies in the CH-4D set as they're intended to be used, only instead of using commercial jackets, I just use annealed .40 S&W cases for jackets.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks for the heads up. It shouldn’t be a problem I’d imagine. Will post an update on it.

I use the Dave Corbin dies for 44 and have been using 40 S&W for years. As already stated, make sure you anneal the casings well before you seat the core. The seating of the core should expand the brass to the necessary diameter. If you plan on shortening the case make sure you cut it down prior to annealing.

Just an extra, for annealing I drove some framing nails through a 1 inch piece of wood. I place the brass on the point of the nail and heat with a torch until glowing and dump into water. This makes the brass soft enough to easily squeeze together with your fingers.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    44 copper jackets are available and make great bullets too. I have used both. Anneal and lube your cases or they will stick.

That was my entry into swaging, 20 some odd years ago. I bought a CH4D #101 set in 44cal. Used both aluminum and brass 40S&W. Made a jig to hold 10 casings in my vertical mill's vice, to then trim them down to desired length. They will come out somewhat egg-shaped. There will be enough driving band to work, but don't expect a perfectly cylindrical bullet body. Out of my 629, the aluminum jacketed rounds about liked to made a shower of sparks. That was glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I followed this site for years before I came on board. I’m a .45 swage nut. The only thing I will add to Fred comment is it also helps to use a little swage lube when forming those jackets of .40 brass.

Always use a good lube, and I've found that lubes intended for swaging are much better than those intended for case sizing. Imperial Sizing Wax was a disappointment when used for swaging, at least in my experience.

Just for information, I've got dies for .357", .361", .400", .410", .429" and .452", and I use cartridge cases for all of them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Curious, Mr. Fred. what do you use the .410 dies for???

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    Curious, Mr. Fred. what do you use the .410 dies for???
    I've got a S&W Model 57 and three 1894 Marlin's in .41 Magnum. They all need feeding on occasion........

Hope this helps.

Fred