RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: 92 Rossi front barrel band jumps forward

Boolit Mold

92 Rossi front barrel band jumps forward

Early version of 92 Rossi is called model 65 SRC sold by Interarms Alexandra, Virginia is in 44 mag. with 20 inch barrel.

The front barrel band, which has the front sight, moves forward when firing, has a screw through the cartridge tube and into a well in the barrel. I can't seem to keep the dang screw in the barrel indention.

Just pulled the trigger on a ground hog a while ago and shot beside it......what...., I look at the cartridge screw and it's out of the hole again. I thought I had that fixed by drilling the barrel screw hole just a little bit deeper.....no I didn't go into the barrel.lol

There must be a way to keep the front barrel band.....sight from doing this. I have heard of welding the tube to the receiver. Not wanton to do this.....I'm asking for another way.

THANKS for the help guys......

Boolit Master
    A simple fix, would be to line the band with silver solder paste, which has the solder, flux and all in one product, tighten the screw as tight as it will go, heat with a propane torch until the residue turns black, wipe off any residue and let cool a few hours. You might want to coat all the metal around it with something to keep the solder residue off of it, they make a chalk that works. I have put countless sights on the muzzle end of different barrels, from 22 to 300 Win mag, never had one come loose using this stuff.

Boolit Master
    Put a brass or aluminum shim (beer can) between the front-sight-barrel-band and mag tube.
    I bet when the lateral screw on the front-sight-barrel-band is tight the mag tube is still loose and that
    the 2 sides of the band touch under the screw holes before tightening up/clamping on the mag tube.

Also maybe some duct tape around the mag tube or brass/aluminum shim) around the mag tube where it goes into
    and under the lower barrel band. got to increase the friction there somehow.

I would also take that lateral screw to the HW store and see if you can get an Allen cap screw to match
    so that you can tighten it down good and snug.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys...new ideas to me....will certainly look into both....what would that chalk be called, so as to google it.

I’ll never buy a Rossi product again. Had a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. What was a 1.5” group with my Win 94 was 13” with the Rossi. Different powders and different loads never resulted in acceptable accuracy. I’m convinced the slow twist rate had something to do with it but refused to shoot light bullets as I got it for deer/hog hunting. Cycling the action caused the nose of a cartridge to rise too high off the lifter and jam against the chamber way too often to be reliable, using either a Hornady XTP or Lee’s 255 RNFP. Prior to hunting season I removed the front hand guard to apply some wax. The channel for the magazine tube was so sloppy it ran into the barrel channel with a 1” gap at the receiver end. What wasn’t 1” wide was paper thin for over 1/2 the length of the wood. Called and sent pics to the Rossi Service Department. They refused to do anything as the rifle had passed the 1 year mark in my hands. I tried to reason the forestock had left the factory like that and wasn’t like a part that had worn out prematurely. They refused to send another.

Boolit Grand Master

You got a bad one ! Happens will all the brands.
    We have several 45 Colt Rossi levers that work nicely.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Missionary; maybe so, but when they refused to replace a piece of wood because their one year warranty ran out was the straw that broke the camels back. Just shoddy workmanship and obviously a factory problem that should never have left the property. I regret deleting the pics. If I still had them, I’d plaster the forums showing their lack of concern; and in my opinion, lack of pride in their product

Boolit Master
    I'm not real clear on what you drilled out. but if screw is coming loose first try some locktite blue on the threads and if that don't hold it use the red locktite.
    finding replacement for the early models of Rossi 92 is next to impossible. ask me how I know. and the guns are in no way set up to accept any other optics.
    ive always looked at drilling or filing away metal on a gun as an absolute last resort. you cannot put back metal that has been drilled or filed off.

I second the locktite fix.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Missionary; maybe so, but when they refused to replace a piece of wood because their one year warranty ran out was the straw that broke the camels back. Just shoddy workmanship and obviously a factory problem that should never have left the property. I regret deleting the pics. If I still had them, I’d plaster the forums showing their lack of concern; and in my opinion, lack of pride in their product

Yes, that is a poor way to do business. Thanks for the info!

Boolit Mold
    Not a screw problem. Screw not coming loose.

In my opinion the barrel band isn't tight enough....so why not tighten the side screw and the under side screw. Not going to torque down extremely tight those delicate fine threads (both screws)and strip them. So you guys that mentioned silver solder and or beer can. Will try one of those solutions.

https://stevesgunz.com/ I believe was discussing this problem a few years back.....and two fixes were talked.

Touching off a round causes the cartridge tube to move forward. Of which.....then the screw bounces out of the hole in the barrel from the concussion. I remember something was done inside the forearm to arrest the tube. What it was, I don't remember.

The other was to weld the cartridge tube to the receiver.

If I remember right...it was only the 44 mag 92s that had the problem, and that is what I have. I have had this carbine for 40 or more years!!!! Still looks new. Whenever the first Rossi 92 came out. I traded my origional Winchester 92 saddle ring 44/40 with the barrel shot out for this gun.

Only in the last 10 years that the cartridge tube started moving out on me.
    Last edited by 44 centerfire; 04-07-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    I’ll never buy a Rossi product again. Had a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. What was a 1.5” group with my Win 94 was 13” with the Rossi. Different powders and different loads never resulted in acceptable accuracy. I’m convinced the slow twist rate had something to do with it but refused to shoot light bullets as I got it for deer/hog hunting. Cycling the action caused the nose of a cartridge to rise too high off the lifter and jam against the chamber way too often to be reliable, using either a Hornady XTP or Lee’s 255 RNFP. Prior to hunting season I removed the front hand guard to apply some wax. The channel for the magazine tube was so sloppy it ran into the barrel channel with a 1” gap at the receiver end. What wasn’t 1” wide was paper thin for over 1/2 the length of the wood. Called and sent pics to the Rossi Service Department. They refused to do anything as the rifle had passed the 1 year mark in my hands. I tried to reason the forestock had left the factory like that and wasn’t like a part that had worn out prematurely. They refused to send another.
    did the forend wood split of its own accord? if no then I would have gave you the same answer that Rossi dealer did - if you didnt pull it down you would have never knew. !!!

slower twist rate = lighter boolit or/(and) faster speed ifn ya want accuracy - thats no mystery !!! if there was a obvious fault in the rifling shoulda sent it back pronto - not wait a year

boolits flippin up off the carrier ? proly coulda fixed that with a shim under the cartridge guide - shouldnt happen but its a Rossi - ya get three of em for the price of a winchester

I had an early Rossi 357 beaut little carbine - got mates got em in 44/40, good guns - one came with some gunk in it that jammed the cartridge stop and caused all kinds of problems - he didnt have a clue and was headed into the "I hate Rossi club" - we cleaned it, put the stop spring in how it was sposed to go - hasnt missed a beat since. All the Rossis I seen have been decent accurate shooters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44 centerfire View Post
    Early version of 92 Rossi is called model 65 SRC sold by Interarms Alexandra, Virginia is in 44 mag. with 20 inch barrel.

The front barrel band, which has the front sight, moves forward when firing, has a screw through the cartridge tube and into a well in the barrel. I can't seem to keep the dang screw in the barrel indention.

Just pulled the trigger on a ground hog a while ago and shot beside it......what...., I look at the cartridge screw and it's out of the hole again. I thought I had that fixed by drilling the barrel screw hole just a little bit deeper.....no I didn't go into the barrel.lol

There must be a way to keep the front barrel band.....sight from doing this. I have heard of welding the tube to the receiver. Not wanton to do this.....I'm asking for another way.

THANKS for the help guys......
    Front sight on the barrel band is a dumb idea - it has to go on dead tight and never move - I made one of those from scratch for an early Rossi 357 I bought cheap
    If this was a rifle with the forend cap its an easy fix - the carbine is harder

some things to try
    1) you can replace the mag tube easy, try some 16mm curtain rod from the homemaker store, take your barrel band in and try it, this stuff is thinner wall but perfect fit on the outside (comes plastic coated though so ya have to get that gunk off it - costs about a buck a foot so you can play easy.)

2) drill out the original screw to a slightly bigger size and re tap the thread - need to do that with the gun assembled correctly - a high tensile machine screw a tad bigger will take a lot more torque than the original - a lot of blokes think the groove in the barrel is meant to take the thrust of recoil - NO! - its there to give clearance for the screw - the band needs to be TIGHT on barrel and mag tube to stop things moving.

3) can try shimming the band on the mag tube - if its loose enough to fit a piece of beercan in there you definitely have a problem

if you get really desperate theres other things can be added

some fellers cut a dovetail under side of the barrel with a hardened insert thats drilled to fit the extension on the end of the magazine cap screw then you make a bigger tougher cap screw and a new magazine end plug

some winchesters (short magazine carbines) had a tab projecting off the edge of the cap screw that located in a slot cut on the underside of the barrel

all of above can help/fix the recoil part of this
    however your rifle has the added problem of the barrel band mounted front sight so anything you do must take care of that - the band has to go together tight and never move

Indian Joe, tube channel was cut parallel to barrel but wood was missing between the two. I shimmed with brass and didn’t work. A smith removed material from back of lifter so it wouldn’t rise so steeply, that didn’t work. I completely understand more velocity can compensate for lack of twist but I never got everything dialed in to my satisfaction. Kind of wishing I’d posted this before I let it go and I’d have arranged for my FFL to contact you

Boolit Master

OP, have you by chance visited the Rossi-Rifleman forums. I haven't spent much time there is a good while, but it was really helpful when I was tuning up my 357 and 44mag Rossi's.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewfo...ca6510553ae2bf
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    Why didn't someone catch my not true subject heading of this thread.lol......the barrel band does not move forward when pulling the trigger. Sorry it took a few days to see my misleading choice of words.

It is the cartridge tube that moves forward. If there was a way to re-word the subject......someone let me know how and I will change it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44 centerfire View Post
    Why didn't someone catch my not true subject heading of this thread.lol......the barrel band does not move forward when pulling the trigger. Sorry it took a few days to see my misleading choice of words.

It is the cartridge tube that moves forward. If there was a way to re-word the subject......someone let me know how and I will change it.
    my comments in post 13 above aimed at stabilising the magazine tube still apply

Boolit Master
    Call Steve's and talk ask them about your situation I bet they have a solution.
    https://stevesgunz.com/

Would look kinda goofy, but could you add a second barrel band? You could probably find one without the sight that would fit tight and give secondary support.

If you can’t get a shim around the mag tube inside the current barrel band, maybe with a very thin file remove some material from the center of the barrel band so it can squeeze down a bit more?

Just thinkin.
    Sam Sackett