Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better 2 Ball shotgun ??? 870/500/590A1

Boolit Master

Better 2 Ball shotgun ??? 870/500/590A1

I have 50 rounds of 2 round balls with a diameter of .600" that I loaded from what Blood Trail posted and longbow also helped. It works good in my double. I have a chance to hunt hogs in Florida with a friend and need input on what gun to use. I have the use of one of 3 shotguns. A Remington 870, a Mossberg 500, or a Mossberg 590A1 all are 3" chambered, cylinder bore, tactical configured with 18.5" barrels. I would use my double but want more rounds in the gun than 2. I have been looking for a 590A1 but come up a dollar short or a day late. Over the years I have used both a Wingmaster 870 and a Mossberg 500A and like both and have take several birds with them. I shoot both about the same but not as good as the SxS, my SASS shotgun.

Boolit Grand Master

The 590A1 is overrated. All of the 500 series use the exact same frame. You can actually swap barrels and magazines on all of them. The 590 is a different magazine tube that allows 1 extra shell vs the 500 magazine of the same length. The 590A1 is the exact same as the 590, but with a thick walled barrel, metal safety, and metal trigger guard. You can put a metal safety, better than the A1's, on any Mossberg pump action, and they are cheap. The metal trigger guard isn't worth much, I've yet to break one on any gun of mine. The thick walled barrel is a huge downgrade. It's purpose, so I'm told, is to prevent dents during military use, specifically Navy ships. It also possibly keeps heat down during rapid fire. What it really does is add a pound of weight to the front end, and with a full magazine is not a good handling or balanced shotgun.

The standard 590 has a standard thickness barrel, which makes a huge difference. After handling and shooting both, I never even had to think about it. I bought a standard 590 with 20" barrel, two of them actually. One I use as intended. The other I frankensteined into a Mossberg kit as a 590/500 cross. It currently sits as my duck gun with a 500 magazine tube and 30" full choke barrel. I also have a 500, as well as a selection of barrels, including an 18 1/2".

If you like the 500, you will like the 590, they are the same thing. The one issue I've found is that both the 18 1/2" and 20" barrels on both models shoot high from the small factory bead. My solution is to replace with a taller bead. Not everyone has this issue.

The other issue is that very few 18 1/2" and 20" barrels have any choke, or are threaded for tubes. One model of the 590 does, but none of the 590A1's do. The 500 18 1/2" barrel is not either. You can send your barrel to Mike Orlen, and he will thread them for a very reasonable price, I think $60 or something like that. I had both my 590 barrels done. The other option is to go with the 500 turkey model with 20" barrel. It has a vent rib, and shoots right to a bead. It comes with sights, but you can take them off easy enough. It is threaded for tubes.

Boolit Master
    This is not from a shotgun guy. I would take your SxS if you shoot it the best. If where you will hunt in FL is thick like E TX the shots will be close and you’ll only get one shot and you still have your second round if you need a finishing shot. Pig aren’t hard to kill if you pick your shot and hit them in the right spot. The last several years all I have shot have been with my 222Mag or 223. The last one I shot this Spring was with a 22lr. Hope you a fun and successful hunt.

Boolit Grand Master

I've always had a soft spot for side by's! That would be my pick. Nothing to operate except the safety ( or cock hammers), nothing to jam, just aim and pull the trigger... twice if needed.

Longbow

Boolit Master

I love my SxS, but, given the hostile nature of the quarry, I'd take my M500 with a 20" barrel. It's a full pound+ lighter than my 870 and since acquiring it a couple years ago, has replaced the 870 in the hunting armory.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    centershot your thoughts are my thoughts about the SxS. My two favorite ones are a STEVENS Model 311 with 28" barrels and a STEVENS 235 with rabbit ears and 28" barrels. I can reload fast but not near as fast as the pump. I do have a Winchester 97 cut to 18 1/2" but didn't want to use as it is set up for SASS and light black powder loads.

Boolit Master
    Given the OP's quest for tight hunting patterns with 22 gauge buckshot in the 12 bore, the most important recommendation that can be made is:

Use a shotgun threaded for choke tubes!
    Last edited by RMc; 04-10-2021 at 01:44 AM.

I'd chose the one with Rifle Sights. If you are shooting pigs with a shotgun with Slugs or Balls you are actually shooting a .73 Caliber Rifle.

I have two M500's (18" and 20") and an A5

All my Tactical Shotguns have Rifle Sights. They just point better and even if you are making running shots they still work better as long as you can keep focused on the Front Sight. Two of mine have Green FO Front Sights and in the sunlight they are impossible to miss.

Your 590A1 has a Front Sight with a big Orange strip on it and a Ghost Ring. Since you automatically look thru the Ghost Ring all you do is put the Front Sight on the target and let fly. You can obviously do that with a Bead also but when it comes to longer shots the Sights are a better option. And Since you are hunting Pigs you never know what shot you will get.

That's what I'd do. That Said, I'd probably want to take my A5 cuz it shoot best of all.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464874.jpg   100464703.JPG   100464676.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-09-2021 at 12:58 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    All 3 have Ghost Ring sights, stocks are adjustable like an AR15. The 2 guys that own them shoot slugs and buck shot. The 500 and 870 have taken several deer over the years but the 590A1 was new in 2020 and not been out for deer yet.

You have to understand that the Magpul stocks and enlarged Recoil Pads on my M500's do take alot of the bite out of shooting Slugs. The barrels are also "Vang Comped." and that changes the Recoil Impulse greatly.
    www.vangcomp.com

However I only shoot Low Recoil slugs or slugs that I have loaded, and I only load slugs towards the low end because I don't see the point in loading them hot to shoot a 500 gr slug 50 yards. The target won't know the difference if it gets hit by a Slug traveling 1200 fps or 1600 fps. But you damn sure will when you fire it!.

Since your guns are probably not modified in the same manner as mine are ,you'd probably be better off shooting the 590A1 as it is a heavier gun.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100465009.JPG   100464594.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-10-2021 at 06:02 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I said I would use the 590A1. Now just waiting for it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I said I would use the 590A1. Now just waiting for it to happen.
    I’m a big fan of the 590A1. I think it’s the way tactical pump ever made. Now, I’m a tad bias being I’m a Marine.

With that being said, I had my barrel on my A1 threaded for Remington chokes. I like options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Like the walnut. I spent 7 years in the Navy Dec 1967-Feb 1975

Boolit Mold
    The 870s went to the back of the safe after I shot the Benelli Novas and Supernovas.

I personally don't care for Mossberg shotguns.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr

USMC 77, USRA 79

where are you guys sending barrels to get threaded?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Carlson did a good job for me.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Mike Orlen will do it for $65. 413-256-1630

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LeonCarr View Post
    The 870s went to the back of the safe after I shot the Benelli Novas and Supernovas.

I personally don't care for Mossberg shotguns.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr
    A Benelli Nova was my main duck gun for about 15 years. Even after all that time, I finally had to admit that the Mossberg 500 is a better shotgun. I still keep my Nova with me for a backup, it has never failed me, but my main waterfowl guns are now a Mossberg 500 and an Ithaca Mag 10.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    A Benelli Nova was my main duck gun for about 15 years. Even after all that time, I finally had to admit that the Mossberg 500 is a better shotgun. I still keep my Nova with me for a backup, it has never failed me, but my main waterfowl guns are now a Mossberg 500 and an Ithaca Mag 10.
    Never had a problem with Mossberg’s, either. To me, the 590A1 is the best combat shotgun ever made. Good enough for Marines (and we put them through hell), good enough for me now.

I own 6 moss bergs and never had a problem with any.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Gunsmith in my Facebook group did it. $75 is what he charged me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast