WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on 7mm case heads

Questions on 7mm case heads

I've been accumulating what I need to reload for 7x57 mauser that I obtained from a member here.
    I have about 30 cases all marked 7x57 from a couple of manufacturers and the all go through my Lee shell holders
    (have one for std lee press and a x holder for the APP)

Got some from another member today and they are all marked Hornady brass, all 7x57, but half of the brass won't go through the holders.
    The ring above the rim is 0.020 larger on half the brass. I examined and the 'newer' brass has a distinct bevel above the rim, but the brass that won't fit holder doesn't. But that brass looks very similar to the first cases that fit. Kind of strange to me.
    Should I look for another brand shell holder? Which right now is pretty hard to find anything.
    I'll post picture.

left case won't fit, 0.020 and right will.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I once bought a new bag of 50 Winchester brand brass in 284 Winchester and had about half of them not fit my shell holders and I have probably 5 or 6 for that case head. I called Winchester and told them of the problem.
    They had me send them the cases that wouldn’t fit so I sent them about 15- 20 and they sent me 2 bags of new brass ( 100 ) for my trouble. I had sold the rifle I was using them in so I sold the brass they sent also so I never opened the bags to see if they had the same trouble .

Jedman

Not unusual, take 6,5x55 - Norma cases only fit an RCBS No.2 while PMC & Win require a No.3. The difference Norma rims measure 0.476" while Win are 0.472".
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

But strange both are hornady brass

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Is that new brass or once fired?

Interesting. I would have thought that the extractor groove dimensions would be standardized along with everything else. Maybe sources outside the US of A work to a different standard?
    Cognitive Dissident

Yes they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7x57 saami.jpg  
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Interesting. I would have thought that the extractor groove dimensions would be standardized along with everything else. Maybe sources outside the US of A work to a different standard?
    SAAMI and CIP do have differences. I don't have a clue if that applies to this.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ivalent-saami/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Try different brand(s) shell holder(s) if possible . I have found some cases that will not fit Lee shell holders will fit CH , RCBS , Lyman or Redding .
    Ran into this problem with 9mm Luger recently ... The cases that didn't fit the Lee shell holder did fit a CH and RCBS shell holder ... cases are different and shell holders are different .
    Good luck finding them ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I've read where there can be a similar situation regarding different makes of 7.65x53 Mauser brass. I think it could be because of a difference in SAMMI and CIP standards. Something to look for is to be sure that the actual base of the cartridge case is in contact with the "bottom" of the shell holder. If the shell holder is supporting the case by the bevel of the extraction groove, and the base of the case has a gap between it and the part of the shell holder that is supposed to be supporting the case, a full length resized case may end up with excess headspace. Make sure that the case fits into the shell holder properly.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Sort of a black sheep here . How are they not fitting ? ( Not the obvious of they don't fit ) I've had some 45 ACP that gave me trouble , some brands have a different holder for the ACP than the usual Savage , 308 , Mauser , 06' , it's cut taller in the ejector groove area .

Do you have a 45 ACP bulge buster or an FCD ?
    I had some brass in 06' from Dad's stuff many years ago that just wouldn't chamber and only fit the Lyman 2X shell holder . I did all of the normal sizing stuff , and had run them through the sizer 2-3 times . I had a loose FCD for 45 ACP and the anvil from a 45 cal push through and effectively used it gutted as an FCD I was surprised at how hard they hit the rim . I didn't break the carbide insert and the brass fit the other holders as well as chambering like they should have .

I don't know who's idea a near match chamber in a slide action hunting rifle was but they should be slapped .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    try different shell holders till you get one that fits. and put it in your die box

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    try different shell holders till you get one that fits. and put it in your die box
    Since it's all but impossible to find shellholders to buy, maybe use a Dremel to grind a bevel on the top surface of the one you have. Wouldn't have to be pretty, just functional.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I had a similar problem with 7.62x39 brass. Some of the cases, the e
    Xtractor groove was too narrow, bought a hornady shell holder and that didn't work either. Ended up taking a dremel tool and narrowing the chamber on the shell holder so it would fit the cases with the narrow extractor groove. Just ground it, a little bit at a time, until it fit all the shell with narrow grooves.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Handloader109 ,

Two choices for you! Assuming both cases fit & eject from your rifle..

If you know someone with a small metal cutting lathe they can neatly put the correct angle on the rim.
    Or you have to alter your case holder, preferably with a lathe or drill press with a cutter or grinding wheel. Should set the down stop, so you can have all the cases sized correctly.

Good Luck,
    broom

Boolit Buddy
    My 1987 RCBS 7x57 dies say to use #11 shell holder, I’ve only used a #3.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    If a guy had say 6-7 #2 Lee , #3 RCBS , 2X Lyman and/or #1 Redding/Hornady maybe you could PM me and send a case to try in some of them and send it back to you .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Had the same happen with Remington factory 308 cases. Extractor groove was not properly cut causing hard chambering. Stopped shooting that ammo and compared some previously fired cases. Ran a dial caliper checking extractor grooves and one set of brass had fatter (meaning less brass removed) extractor grooves than other RP brass fired in that rifle. Frank

Boolit Master
    Have not researched lately, but many years ago RCBS made different shell holders for some calibers that were based on the brand of brass. I remember the .257 Roberts and the 45 Colt had different shell holders for different brass, based on the manufacturer's, I think 45 ACP and 308 Win were others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast