Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding Boolits for hunting ?

Welding Boolits for hunting ?

Found this cruising around and found it very interesting, has anyone tried this ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210406-154322_1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	280930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210406-154331_1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	280931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210406-154341_1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	280932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210406-154349_1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	280933
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210406-154322.jpg   Screenshot_20210406-154331.jpg   Screenshot_20210406-154341.jpg  
    Last edited by Wolfdog91; 04-06-2021 at 04:59 PM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Well I was trying to post the screenshot shots but didn't wanna upload so here's the link

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...y-Cast-Bullets
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I need a bigger screen to read it. I'll look when I get to a real computer.

Boolit Buddy
    I did some 405 gr for 45-70 with 85 gr pure lead and the rest was bhn 12. Haven't killed with them yet. I dropped an 85 gr 257 cast with pure lead into the 458 mold, heated til it melted, then topped with bhn 12. Wasn't difficult. Was time consuming. Not even sure if there is a benefit over standard harness.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    The posted stuff above is not inconsistent with the "RPM theory". The theory involved states that there is a 'limit' at 140k for .30 caliber bullets. It is not a hard number as there are several variables at work. Smaller dia bullets have a higher max rpm. A small change in dia means a lot of difference based on the variables involved. I am not surprised at results using 6-7mm bullets.

I have fired .30cal bullets at 2400fps in a 10 twist barrel. Most of the time the accuracy is worse than at

If ya think it'll work for you, I'd encourage doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, especially for target shooting at paper.
    For hunting: It looks like a lot of extra casting time, can introduce unwanted variables at worst,
    and brings minimal gains for all the effort at best.

When I was still hunting, I didn't over think and split hairs over doing stuff like this.
    I concentrated on accuracy, trigger control, shot placement, and was sure to 'bring enough gun' for what I was doing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

It's an idea that has been around for a long time and various methods have been tried. No first hand experience but would be interested to see how they compare to 10-1 lead/tin bullet that is paper patched or PC'ed
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Been down that road both with the 2 part bullet and the claimed velocity/accuracy. Also had numerous discussions with Von Gruff regarding such. As mentioned, you want to give it a try then go for it......good luck.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It could be fun experimenting with the concept, but otherwise I think just going with a gas checked soft boolit is the most practical.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember reading about this concept here a few times. But the discussions are normally dropped soon, indicating to me that while "duo-alloy" bullets may work, the payback isn't consistent enough for all the extra work involved. Many replies mention bullet shape and placement outweigh possible expansion from cast bullets.

But honestly, if one would like to find out if they really work for them, try some...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

If you're looking for more expansion, check into making hollow points, and the different levels of hardness for them.

They're a little more tedious and a little slower to produce than solids;
    but not nearly as slow as the multi alloy boolits while trying to keep them even close to being the same weight.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-08-2021 at 12:49 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    Heck, why not just buy some Sierra 165 gr HPBTs and go hunting? Good accuracy and excellent performance. Is four hours of labor worth the $35 you'd save?

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes it's just about the knowledge gained from experimenting and not the end result.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If you're looking for more expansion, check into making hollow points, and the different levels of hardness for them.

They're a little more tedious and a little slower to produce than solids;
    but not nearly as slow as the multi alloy boolits while trying to keep them even close to being the same weight.
    If weight variations are a consideration, just cast a sufficient amount of the two alloy bullets and then weight sort into groups before you lube and size them.

I have to wonder if anyone will ever search and find this thread given the subject term "welded" bullet which is about the first time I have ever seen it in a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I have to wonder if anyone will ever search and find this thread given the subject term "welded" bullet which is about the first time I have ever seen it in a thread.
    Yeah, I'd never heard the term before either.
    That's why it sort of caught me eye. Plus, I really like following the trials and tribulations of the new kid..

I'd never discourage anyone doing research and experimentation.
    However; sometimes ya just have to recognize a blind, dead end alley (for your own application) when ya see it.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I believe Bruce B did something similar. I did cast a few soft pointed bullets but California won't let me hunt with lead. Oregon is friendlier. Will load up the cast duo boolits if I can find them after the move settles out.

Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    Heck, why not just buy some Sierra 165 gr HPBTs and go hunting? Good accuracy and excellent performance. Is four hours of labor worth the $35 you'd save?
    I mean..... I can't even find any in stock lol soooooo, and honestly if my time was that valuable to begin with I probably wouldn't bother casting anyhow
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Been down that road both with the 2 part bullet and the claimed velocity/accuracy. Also had numerous discussions with Von Gruff regarding such. As mentioned, you want to give it a try then go for it......good luck.
    Is he a member here ?
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    Sometimes it's just about the knowledge gained from experimenting and not the end result.

Shelly
    Yeah that's basically me lol, I get bored pretty quick so things like this always peak my interest.
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If ya think it'll work for you, I'd encourage doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, especially for target shooting at paper.
    For hunting: It looks like a lot of extra casting time, can introduce unwanted variables at worst,
    and brings minimal gains for all the effort at best.

When I was still hunting, I didn't over think and split hairs over doing stuff like this.
    I concentrated on accuracy, trigger control, shot placement, and was sure to 'bring enough gun' for what I was doing.
    I'm kinda on the other side of the spectrum lol. Actually found this while looking up onfor about cast 6.5 grendel ,seems pretty cool especially for us casting out of an AR that requires a little more speed.
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast