Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Trappers

Boolit Grand Master

Any Trappers

Are there any trappers here ?
    I just got my trapping license in Wisconsin and plan on trapping coyote
    I had a incident last fall deer season where I lost most of a deer I had to leave
    over night because I lost the trail
    when I picked up the trail I found the deer and the coyote had just started on
    also while bow hunting earlier in the season I could hear lots of coyote singing
    in the woods near me
    my neighbor had the same thing happen to him but he lost the entire deer to them
    now I know the ecosystem needs these animals but we have a surplus that needs to
    be dealt with
    so any trappers?
    any tips on pursuing them?
    I have numerous trail camera pics of coyote and bobcat so I have a pretty good idea where to set traps
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Join your state trapping association to learn the local tricks.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I know the ecosystem needs these animals
    In the north east US coyotes are not native, they are an invasive species,
    documented to have come in in the 1920's,
    so the "ecosystem" does not need them.

On the contrary, they are causing a huge problem, 50% of the deer fawns are eaten by coyotes.
    Less knowledgeable people will argue that "they don't kill healthy adult deer",
    but they are wrong, and if deer are eaten as fawns they never grow up to be a healthy adult!

In some areas rabbits are now non-existent, and coyote scat is full of turkey feathers and parts,
    and they kill/chase-out the foxes.

They need to be gotten rid of, period, like all the other invasive species.
    There needs to be a bounty on them

I have trapped Wisconsin furbearers since the late 70's. Great website that is free to join and has a lot of trapping information is www.trapperman.com
    I live in Rhinelander if you have any specific questions or need advice you can always PM me.

Chris

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have been applying for my trappers license since I was a kid in WI so I am grandfathered in. I need to learn how to do it myself as I have had coyote issues eating my deer left overnight on my property as well. I watched quite a few YouTube videos on how to trap them. I just need to buy some coyote traps. I put in for a bobcat tag this year so I need to start practicing on my local yote pack. I have the raccoon and possum trapping down. We can remove them year around as long as they are considered “nuisance” animals. I have removed just over 60 raccoon and 17 possum since last summer. Cant wait to see my turkey population start to come back and hopefully I’ll see grouse again some day. I went to check traps today and had a big Tom gobbling about 75 yards from my traps! Cant wait for 2nd season!

With all the raccoons I had I wonder if they could have been eating my deer left overnight besides the coyotes?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-06-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hodag
    I went to Nicolet in my younger days
    yeah I am a member on that forum very informative
    I have noticed a radical decline in my squirrel population on my land
    I had thought I had a coyote problem
    been putting in for bobcat for a long time now actually got a pic of one on my
    trail camera this past February so they are moving south and probably have been
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I've let two people trap my place over the years. The first one was a high school kid. Did a great job getting beaver and otters out of here. Then he went off to college.

I let anouther older guy come in for a short time. He caught two dogs, one otter and one bobcat. I was done with that. As a landowner in this state I can shoot the varmits, not the fur bearers, all year long.

My trap is a .222.

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Hodag
    I went to Nicolet in my younger days
    yeah I am a member on that forum very informative
    I have noticed a radical decline in my squirrel population on my land
    I had thought I had a coyote problem
    been putting in for bobcat for a long time now actually got a pic of one on my
    trail camera this past February so they are moving south and probably have been
    Heading to the big field by Nicolet College in a few minutes to pick nightcrawlers. Small world!

Chris

Boolit Buddy
    I hunt coyotes, early in the morning, just at daylight in a popular area. I go to a hill top with trees. And use a Turkey call. They run in on the call. Some circle around to try to sneak up on the Turkey. I found it to work all most all the time. I use a Remington 223 with Bipod, a 4x16 power scope. This works in Pa. anyway.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i trap.. but there are no coyotes here in this part of the state.

this is my self claimed trapping area

lots of beaver, otters and other weasel
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I'm a professional.
    I'm state certified in Animal Damage Control.
    FOLLOW ALL THE LAWS please.
    Some states allow trapping nuisance animals,, out of season, with a PERMIT,,, as long as they are actually causing DAMAGE. NOT,, I repeat, NOT just because you THINK they are causing damage.
    Eating fawns, not considered damage. Eating a dead animal, lost or not yet found by a hunter, not damage. Attacking your pet, in your yard,, damage. But trapping is to be done in the yard, not on 10,000 acres of the smith farm.

First, off, contact your local wildlife enforcement officers, and discuss what you can & can't do LEGALLY.

Next,, trapping coyotes is done all the time, and when properly done, can reduce the problems you've mentioned. The biggest thing it to LEARN HOW to set a proper coyote trap. Once a coyote finds a bad trap set, or gets a toe caught etc,, MUCH, MUCH harder to trap a second time.
    As noted above, join a trapper assoc. Study as much as you can about coyote trapping BEFORE you try & set the first trap. Practice building sets in your yard or other safe place, to learn how to do it properly, BEFORE setting in the field.

And I also own land, watch wildlife with cameras etc. Bobcats are the LEAST of the problem critters I see or deal with. In fact, in my business,, I almost never get a complaint about a bobcat.
    But coyotes,, lots of problems associated with them.

The trapperman forum is also a good place.

Boolit Grand Master
    round here you DO NOT need a license to trap on your own land
    I got a license to educate myself on trapping not because I need one
    coyote have no closed season and trapping on your own land is not against the law here
    I will put out traps because like most of you I also call and shoot them however
    coyote get educated to calling just like a bad trap set so I will put more lines
    in the water just to try to get more
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

White eagle is correct, WI regulations are different than NC. The only reason he would need a permit in WI is to keep and sell the furs out of season. We have a beaver problem chewing up trees on our river banks right in town. The DNR told all the neighbors it is their right to be able to place traps on their properties and get rid of it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-07-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Master
    I hope my post didn't offend you. Trapping on your own land w/o a permit or any season etc may be allowed where you are,,! No problem. But here in NC as well as most states, trapping out of season, even on your own land has restrictions.
    Again, knowing your local laws is the best thing.

I am a property owner as well and I have ALOT of “nuisance” animals. In WI if I (or White Eagle) chooses to let someone trap them for us all we have to to is give them written consent. About the only animals a property owners can’t remove are deer, bear, and bobcat...without a permit that is. The DNR will supply damage and crop control permits if needed. I didn’t really get into trapping seriously till last spring when I heard turkeys gobbling on everyone’s property accept mine. I hadn’t seen a grouse in years as well. I read up on the subject and one of the main causes I found out was predator and egg eaters. I also checked my state regulations to make sure did everything by the book and was completely LEGAL...which I’m sure everyone with common sense would do so.

Contender1, like you said, know your game laws.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-07-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    As I mentioned, my post was NOT meant to offend, or upset anybody.

BUT, trapping laws, do vary state by state. And in many states, there are severe restrictions, while others they are not bad.
    In my experiences, following the law keeps things from becoming a big headache, or especially expensive. And in many cases, it can cost a person their rights to hunt & trap.
    Plus, think of the negative publicity it can cause if a person is caught doing something illegal, and the (liberal) news media gets ahold of it.
    I deal with this kind of stuff daily. And I also have to abide by laws, and worry about the FACT that people have cameras around me all the time. I do my work as if I'm being videoed, and the video will appear on the 6:00 news for all the tree hugging, animal loving, Disney educated types to see.
    And to directly address the "nuisance" animal definition, since it appears I've upset Tripplebeards.
    In NC, AND according to LAWYERS,, what you consider a nuisance may NOT pass a legal definition.
    Just because you THINK an animal is a problem, get charged with illegal trapping, and let the animal lovers get wind of it. The legal fees will be quite expensive.
    I know, I have a contract I get customers to sign, AND I use the NC Wildlife Resources Commission language to define "nuisance" animals, as well as "damage."
    And my lawyers have it worded to where I can't get charged with "deliberate indifference," or "negligence" as long as I do things according to the State laws.

BUT AGAIN, as noted, your state may be different. But I'd be SURE of the laws, and have copies of them IN WRITING, before I'd attempt anything.

I'm NOT wanting to start any arguments, as my ONLY intent was to offer advice to hopefully prevent someone from doing anything illegal, BEFORE they get caught. It's because I hear too many stories all the time of illegal activity concerning trapping, especially coyotes. Just this week alone, I've heard of a guy trapping on a piece of property he doesn't own nor has any legal access to, for coyotes, w/o permission or a permit. And also this week, I've heard of a seriously illegal types of coyote trapping on a different place.
    In both cases,, think of the repercussions that can happen if the person doing the illegal trapping catches someone's "Fido" and gats caught.
    The MEDIA will accuse the poacher of being a trapper, And it'll get more of the tree huggers wanting to further restrict trapping methods & such.
    THAT'S why I made my postings.
    Sorry if I ruffled anybody's feathers.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I have been applying for my trappers license since I was a kid in WI so I am grandfathered in. I need to learn how to do it myself as I have had coyote issues eating my deer left overnight on my property as well. I watched quite a few YouTube videos on how to trap them. I just need to buy some coyote traps. I put in for a bobcat tag this year so I need to start practicing on my local yote pack. I have the raccoon and possum trapping down. We can remove them year around as long as they are considered “nuisance” animals. I have removed just over 60 raccoon and 17 possum since last summer. Cant wait to see my turkey population start to come back and hopefully I’ll see grouse again some day. I went to check traps today and had a big Tom gobbling about 75 yards from my traps! Cant wait for 2nd season!

With all the raccoons I had I wonder if they could have been eating my deer left overnight besides the coyotes?
    Bobcat trapping is different from coyote trapping. My best set for bobcats was to find a leaning tree, put an attractor like a grouse wing on a string so it would move with the wind. A large conibear set on the trunk to let the bobcat try to get through to get the wing was very effective.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I've let two people trap my place over the years. The first one was a high school kid. Did a great job getting beaver and otters out of here. Then he went off to college.

I let anouther older guy come in for a short time. He caught two dogs, one otter and one bobcat. I was done with that. As a landowner in this state I can shoot the varmits, not the fur bearers, all year long.

My trap is a .222.
    you want any brass
    thought this was gonna save money

My buddy let someone trap bobcat a few years back. He said they used a big white feather above the trap. I’ll have to give it a try. I haven’t put any foot traps out for decades and gave mine away. I was going start coyote trapping a few years ago but the neighbor’s dogs keep trespassing on my POSTED property. I have called the sheriffs department on them several times. No tickets issued for sone reason. I was told his brother in law works for the department. I have several photos of the dogs chasing deer and turkeys off on my trail cameras given to the department. The same dogs even ran turkeys off while I was hunting a few years ago and then ran up growling and tried to bite me till the owner called them off. I fired my 10 gauge in the air to scare them off with no luck and kept pushing them away with the gun barrel while they were biting it. Both dogs had tags so I knew they belonged to someone and didn’t want to shoot them. The owner was a a half mile a way and heard the drama. He called them off abd I went down and chewed his rear end. That was the first time of many. It happened again last fall and another verbal warning. I had enough of the “warnings” and had another conversation a few weeks later when I took a new dog up to the house I found on my property sand asked it it was there’s...it was. I explained I had traps on my property and do not want the dogs on my private property chasing game along with getting caught. The sheriffs dept told them I have traps on my property. I don’t think the owners care abd I know they have zero respect for myself and my property. There are 3 other dogs I have constantly walking though my property as well. I had fresh dog tracks going threw again about a week ago. I’ll just end up calling animal control when I catch them. The problem is irresponsible owners, not the dogs. Imo if an animal gots caught on private property the owner should be fined and held liable for letting their animals run loose. Don’t want to get in a big debate but there are ALOT of people that should not be able to own pets.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-07-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast