Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hughesnet internet?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    I hope that's sarcasm, we've been hearing rural broadband since Obozo.
    I live in a town under 300 population... I have fiber being buried as I type, run to my house scheduled for this summer. And I am 100+ miles from the nearest city over 90k pop. 25 miles+ to 5k+ population... if you get the idea I am in the middle of nowhere...Obama did get the money, phone companies got the grants to put it in... I will be getting 1gig speeds for what I pay for 30Mbps DSL! I stream 4k TV and 30Mbps is borderline for that if I want to browse on the computer at the same time(something I do all the time).

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I know it is not the same (thread drift) but it sounds a lot like like DirectTV, always upping the rate. I had a 2-year DirectTV contract. They never read it. Every month I had to call to correct their billing. Two years of every month calling and in the 2nd year it was worse, 'cause I had burned out all of the front line callers, who had to transfer me to Supervisors, and was working on burning the Supers out as well. I knew most of the gals in Customer Retention by their first name and voice recognition.

Never again. In the end though, with financial perks, discounts, credit cards, and "incentives" for me to stay, they ended up PAYING ME to view their channels - but I EARNED IT. Nobody in their back offices double check the stuff they try to pull and eventually the price they pay when you are PERSISTENT and INSISTENT in holding their feet to the contract provisions.
    Dumped DTV and will never go back. They priced themselves out of the market in my opinion. I stream SlingTV for $65/mo, get all the channels I like to watch, have all the free movie streaming services... streaming will kill sat TV.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    hughes had a class action and were out for loooong time . 1 out 20, can see that
    but dont go there, i got 1.44 in the settlement
    if you want the dish its here.
    If it is one of their 1 meter dishes I could use it LOL to bad I am so far away! Shipping would be more than a new Chinese dish off eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Comcast is greedy, upped our internet service again.

We got a card from Hughesnet. maybe cheaper? I don't know. what we have is one computer, one T.V. running Ruku. Anybody have Hughesnet, and if so are they worth changing to from Comcast? Prices? Streaming? Reliability?

I got Hugesnet before their new Gen 5 service, 10 or so years ago. They fixed the box when it broke but with a $5 service charge over a few years. It is still $50 a month but now I don't have the data cap I stated with, or at least I haven't hit the new one yet.

It is hard to get a hold of them, their site never worked for any of my computers well enough.

The box messes up from time to time, sometimes for days.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Dumped DTV and will never go back. They priced themselves out of the market in my opinion. I stream SlingTV for $65/mo, get all the channels I like to watch, have all the free movie streaming services... streaming will kill sat TV.
    Satellite TV will be around for a long time. As shown by this thread there are slim pickings in some area for internet in general. If you do manage to find it you are probably not going to have enough bandwidth to watch tv. I have directv and the wireless genie boxes. I take the "hub" from home to camp and have the same stations wherever I go. The new wireless boxes are great because all of our friends pitch in and we get them a box and they have satellite in their camper too.

Boolit Master

I used it back in 2007 when I moved to the country in Arizona. It was awful. Data caps, horrible customer service, ridiculous prices and all the rest. Ditched it after a couple of months.

Now my dad has it out at his place. He's on ten acres in Idaho and has no cell service at his house. He has to drive or walk about 100 yards to get a signal. Hughes Net is his only option. I'll inherit the place when he passes, but I will sell it if Hughes Net is still the only option at that time.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Comcast is greedy, upped our internet service again.

We got a card from Hughesnet. maybe cheaper? I don't know. what we have is one computer, one T.V. running Ruku. Anybody have Hughesnet, and if so are they worth changing to from Comcast? Prices? Streaming? Reliability?
    I have Hughesnet. I hate them. Their data caps suck, we're not getting the internet speeds we are supposed to be, and the reliability is spotty at best. Some days it's fine, others it pretty bad.

For streaming, or really any internet beyond the bare minimums, I'd look somewhere else for internet. Once our contract is up, we're switching.

I would sooner take a leak on a live electric fence every day for a month than stay with them.
    Last edited by am44mag; 04-08-2021 at 01:18 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I would sooner take a leak on a live electric fence every day for a month than stay with them.

Yep I agree and the dirty tricks they use is something else no one has mentioned, or if they did I missed it maybe. When you sign up the system will be smoking hot and work really great, that is until the trial period is up and they have you locked into the contract! After that the good service comes to a screeching halt and starts to drag along at little better than dial-up, in fact during the short time we were stuck with those crooks we kept dial up so we could still use Ebay.

Some here have mentioned that they treat customers like idiots, they do that because they seem to just automatically assume that anyone who signs up for their service an id,,,,,,,,err well maybe they just assume we were less than real smart!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

We have CenturyLink legacy DSL at our place. It's expensive and really crappy. We're supposed to be getting 10 meg service but are lucky to have a steady 5 meg.

I've got Rise coming out later this month for a site survey and possible install.

I've heard good things about them.
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    So you're saying you get cable internet for $30 a month? (Half what I pay to HughesNet)

I have no contract. Haven't had since about 2012. But name ANY service provider who doesn't start you out with a contract.

I am finding it interesting that so many of you cannot live without 24/7 video. Seriously, can you not read?

I rarely exceed 1/3 of my data cap, despite being on-line reading or posting for 6+ hours every day. (Mobility Handicapped, not a lot else to do.)
    I needed to trim the budget... DirecTV had jacked the rates again to $120 month, I was using Verizon internet with data caps at the time, had dumped Hughes Net for the cell modem... local phone company changed hands, they immediately upgraded equipment to offer DSL so I jumped at it. Internet went up $30 but no data caps and way faster, dumped DTV for SlingTV(streaming TV) for $60. So I saved $30/mo and got far better service. I do have some TV shows I like plus I like movies. With 5 free streaming movie choices I can almost always find something to watch and relax before bed(gets me away form reading on screens with the blue back light that disrupts sleep).

I am disabled, I do read a ton, I play on my radios(ham radio), learning 3d CAD for the new 3D printer I picked up, designing a dish mount for a 1.2 ghz dish antenna I am putting up for ham radio... learning to weld... but I have days I am stuck in bed or a chair and entertainment is a must!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    I hope that's sarcasm, we've been hearing rural broadband since Obozo.
    Isn't this just Obozo Part Dieux ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Check out starlink.com - not available in all areas yet and still in a beta phase. It may be the best option in a rural area. Also, if you have good reception with T-Mobile, they also offer a home internet device that may be worth looking into.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    Starlink requires a clear exposure to the sky. There will be fewer satellites in the beginning and obstructions will limit a lot of people. There is an app to determine if it will work for you. Should have the bugs worked by now. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I needed to trim the budget... DirecTV had jacked the rates again to $120 month, I was using Verizon internet with data caps at the time, had dumped Hughes Net for the cell modem... local phone company changed hands, they immediately upgraded equipment to offer DSL so I jumped at it. Internet went up $30 but no data caps and way faster, dumped DTV for SlingTV(streaming TV) for $60. So I saved $30/mo and got far better service. I do have some TV shows I like plus I like movies. With 5 free streaming movie choices I can almost always find something to watch and relax before bed(gets me away form reading on screens with the blue back light that disrupts sleep).

I am disabled, I do read a ton, I play on my radios(ham radio), learning 3d CAD for the new 3D printer I picked up, designing a dish mount for a 1.2 ghz dish antenna I am putting up for ham radio... learning to weld... but I have days I am stuck in bed or a chair and entertainment is a must!
    I hate to tell you this, Mary, but your TV has the same blue back light. My kindle has a blue/yellow light switch to turn the blue off in the evening.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Sloooow. If my wife is online at the same time forget streaming. Heavy clouds means virtually no service. After we surpass our data cap, it slows down even more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I hate to tell you this, Mary, but your TV has the same blue back light. My kindle has a blue/yellow light switch to turn the blue off in the evening.
    I have a Kindle Oasis and can adjust the color of the backlight. You can make it a nice warm amber color.

I also have Kindle Unlimited. A normal book takes me about two evenings to read. I'm reading an average of 16 books per month. Kindle Unlimited saves me a BUNCH of money.
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus

Yes but it is 9' from me versus 2' for the computer monitors, or 1' for the cell phone(kindle app). So the amount of blue is diminished a LOT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123