RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hughesnet internet?

USMC 77, USRA 79

hughes net is a "last resort" situation... dont do it unless you have zero options... dont ask me how I know...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Buddy down the road had Hughes net...... It worked sort a kinda, sometimes. Ended up dropping it.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned
    I had it for awhile when I had no other options , I won't say I had a good experience with it . i also didn't have quite as terrible an experience as a lot of other have had either .

Boolit Buddy
    I had hughesnet for a while. No cable internet here. As others have said, the data cap is ridiculous. Once you are past that you may as well just use your phone. It's weather dependent, and twice the price of superior cable internet. The worst part is the contract. By the time my contract was up I couldn't wait to drop it.

Other considerations: starnet is shaping up to be much better. Still expensive but that's the only downside. Also, uncle joe is handing out cash like candy including a chunk to work toward getting broadband to the 30% of the country without. I was about to pull the trigger on starnet until I saw this infrastructure plan and now I think I'll hold out until that handout is forced upon me and I can get real internet even if it is shamefully funded by hardworking americans for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
    I had hughesNet for a while. No cable internet here. As others have said, the data cap is ridiculous. Once you are past that you may as well just use your phone. It's weather dependent, and twice the price of superior cable internet. The worst part is the contract. By the time my contract was up I couldn't wait to drop it.
    So you're saying you get cable internet for $30 a month? (Half what I pay to HughesNet)

I have no contract. Haven't had since about 2012. But name ANY service provider who doesn't start you out with a contract.

I am finding it interesting that so many of you cannot live without 24/7 video. Seriously, can you not read?

I rarely exceed 1/3 of my data cap, despite being on-line reading or posting for 6+ hours every day. (Mobility Handicapped, not a lot else to do.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I have friends who have comcast. Their raising rates all the time is the main complaint with them. I have service eclectic it's 93.00 a month after modem rental and the other fees. I don't remember the last time any rates were changed. I have this package.
    100M Internet
    Download: Up to 100 Mbps
    Upload: Up to 10 Mbps

Monthly Data Plan: 1,500 GB/Month
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    So you're saying you get cable internet for $30 a month? (Half what I pay to HughesNet)

I have no contract. Haven't had since about 2012. But name ANY service provider who doesn't start you out with a contract.

I am finding it interesting that so many of you cannot live without 24/7 video. Seriously, can you not read?

I rarely exceed 1/3 of my data cap, despite being on-line reading or posting for 6+ hours every day. (Mobility Handicapped, not a lot else to do.)
    I was paying $100/month for hughesnet. My parents in the same county are getting real internet for $50. Their internet is not the best but it is beyond comparison to hughesnet.

Furthermore, for many people the decision is not just whether there are better options but whether or not they can do the reading they need to do, if they aren't so video dependant as those that you are calling out, on their phones or by way of computers tethered to their phones. In such cases why would one pay $70 or more or whatever hughesnet costs now for the minimum crappy coverage to be able to read when they already pay a bill for phone data that can supply just as well or better.

I am glad hughesnet is working out for you sir. I am sorry for offending you by offering a negative review of hughesnet. It was not a personal attack on you or your preferences.

If they have phone internet they don't need anything else, so Hughes' rates are irrelevant. Except that cell plans START at over $100, do they not?

Calling HughesNet crap because it isn't fibreoptic cable is disingenuous. It provides a different service, one that covers areas that have neither cable nor cellular, (and in my case no DSL either). Language matters.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    My in-laws have it, and it is worthless. But there's nothing else where they live.

I think I see the disconnect here. I was 50 years old before there even WAS a n Internet. I lived with dialup for years. I used cellphones that were the size of a brick, and had no screen of any kind. You youngsters think a Palm Pilot is antediluvian. (My grandkids don't even know what a Palm Pilot was.) So be it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    If they have phone internet they don't need anything else, so Hughes' rates are irrelevant. Except that cell plans START at over $100, do they not?

Calling HughesNet crap because it isn't fibreoptic cable is disingenuous. It provides a different service, one that covers areas that have neither cable nor cellular, (and in my case no DSL either). Language matters.
    Yeah true. The O.P. probably does not have a data plan on his smartphone. He'd be silly to pay for a data plan when he can get 10 gigs of hughesnet for less...

We had Hughes net for 3 days last year, they could not deliver what we were promised and paying for so they let us out of our contract. Worst part is that damn dish is still bolted to the side of my house. If you have trees, don’t do it.

The jury has spoken and I looked at the rates. It could cost me MORE with Hughesnet than Comcast due to their ''tier'' plans, so they're out of consideration.
    I know how bad Frontier is from various horror stories from folks who've had them. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Boolit Buddy

We have Frontier copper wire DSL backed up with ATT hot spots on our phones. The speed on Frontier is marginal for streaming, 2.8mb/s, but it works most of the time. Looking forward to canceling them when Starlink comes online.

Moderator Emeritus

I am in the same boat. My options are Satellite (Dish and Hughesnet) or Frontier. I did put up my own 42' cell tower and managed to get two bars of Verizon 4g which I used to run my internet. Was faster than Frontier dial up but caps would get me every once in awhile due to computer updates or if I tried playing an old Xbox game. Dish internet lasted two weeks and they ended up paying me not to be a customer. Something about the beam not working in my location.

Out here they basically pick Dish or Hughes and my neighbors complain about Hughes. I got stuck getting Frontier. Pathetic. They are in bankruptcy for a reason. Just recently in one of my almost monthly rants with Frontier being down, started throwing their performance vs actual, etc. and asked for a supervisor. Ended up in the wrong department that turned out to be a God send. Seems Frontier offers discounts to disabled folk and this woman managed to get me "bonded" internet at 18 mgs for $5 less a month than the garbage 6 guaranteed. I will be switching to starlink come January when Frontier will be at $100 a month. I dropped my Dish TV superbowl morning. Turns out Verizon has new cell plans that have free Hulu, Disney +, and ESPN for as long as you have the plan. Sorry didn't mean to ramble. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    Telling you, check out starlink. It's not completely off the ground yet (pun intended) but it is getting going. It is also expensive but it is expected to be pretty good in all other ways.

Boolit Master
    Check for local ISP's that work off of towers. We have a local provider that has been highly reliable ( Vistabeam) over 15plus years. Landline is a copper pair, carrier will not even try to provide internet. Local cell service, Verizon, OK and getting better, but finding the right window is critical. My DishTV has been remarkably reliable for 20-30 years, I understand they also provide internet, not sure about that. I do live where 'THE SKIES ARE NOT CLOUDY ALL DAY, HOME HOME ON THE RANGE". It is semi-arid, few clouds, little rain to disrupt signals. Worked well in high country Colorado, again not much for cloudy overcast skies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    The jury has spoken and I looked at the rates. It could cost me MORE with Hughesnet than Comcast due to their ''tier'' plans, so they're out of consideration.
    I know how bad Frontier is from various horror stories from folks who've had them. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Have you checked into Starlink as many have suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    . Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Reading through this thread I see only one mention of Via Sat. I've had them for 5 years and have no complaints. Originally they were Exede, and the name changed a couple of years ago. Their basic plan didn't give much data, but you get more if you pay more, and now for $118 per month I can't use it all. I do have to go outside during or after a snow storm to brush off the antenna dish, and the same for Dish TV's antenna. Otherwise, signal interruption is a rare thing, and doesn't last more than a few minutes. That's happened maybe twice a year for 5-10 minutes. Perhaps they aren't available in your location, but if they are I'll give them a Recommend.

DG

I've gotten some ideas that I didn't know existed here and I thank all for your contributions. All I can say is, life was much simpler and happier driving a '62 Belair and having only newspapers and a few T.V. channels for entertainment and a rotary phone, personal visits, or hand written letters for communication.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast